Project Stealth Astro Camper Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Travel- this is a great thread. I'm learning alot, and the info is timely as I am going to be doing some work on the van soon.

Only have time to address a couple things right now. I wanted to say I am one of those who gets really good mpg in my van. Highway on my trip back from texas was just shy of 21 mpg. I do practice hypermiling as much as I can. I'm sure that accounts for some of it.

I keep my passenger seat reversed most of the time. I install a lap belt on the bolts when it is reversed. That keeps it legal in case of being pulled over. I have been stopped several times, and out and out asked various staties if it is legal and all have said yes. Most passengers dislike riding backwards, but some don't mind. My friend Tara had an astro with the seat reversed (where I got my idea) and it wasn't too bad for me.

The lap belts were only $10 at an auto parts store. Nothing needed to install them, you just slide them onto the bolts when the seat is off then fit the seat onto the bolts and put the nuts back on. I can turn my seat in less than 10 minutes.

C<a style="color: #000000; text-decoration: none; white-space: nowrap;" href="/profile/1877620" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">oultergeist</a>, I think I know what you mean about the reflectix now. I was actually thinking about putting reflectix on those two non-opening rear side windows in a more permanent position. But when I'm sleeping, that's roughly the position where my head will be, and I wouldn't be able to see out the window. I guess it will depend if I have to contend with extreme heat or cold, and ideally I will choose, and keep moving to, locations that are more moderate (not too hot, not too cold).<br><br>Katie, glad you've found this thread interesting and informative! Hopefully it will help other Astro/Safari owners, and everyone in general, as some of this is applicable to other vans too. I've learned quite a bit too! Good idea on the lap belts for when the front passenger seat is turned around, to keep it legal. I guess it's fine, because some old station wagons used to have those rear facing third row seats, from the factory. Ideally I would like the swivel base, and will put it on my wish list, but if I can't get it done, it's nice to know I can just flip it around in 10 minutes when I need to.

twokniveskatie said:
Only have time to address a couple things right now. I wanted to say I am one of those who gets really good mpg in my van. Highway on my trip back from texas was just shy of 21 mpg. I do practice hypermiling as much as I can. I'm sure that accounts for some of it.
Katie, I'm glad to hear that your mileage is that good. I only recently got my Astro van, and consequently my mileage checking has all been local, city driving in El Paso, with the A/C going, but even so I have been getting 15.5 mpg so maybe there's hope for it on the open road. I'll have to look up hypermiling, I've never heard the term...

Latest posts