Cooking Baked Potato while driving

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westycamper

Reaction score
I like potatoes as much as I like rice :)

one time I tried the wrap a potato in aluminum foil and put it on your exhaust manifold , it was on there for 3 hours and nothing

So anyone have a better idea ?

it would be neat if there was something like the immersion water heater that you could poke into the potato and heat it from the inside out.....

anyway are there any 12v or low wattage 110v (use with inverter) appliances that will work while driving ?

I do not want propane , solar etc as i might want to do this in a rent a car when on vacation ,

thanks for your ideas

on the catalytic converter.......stop every 50 miles and baste with butter...:)

I've never tried this myself, but I have heard of it being done. I remember seeing an article or two on it in Popular Mechanics back in the old days.

Anyway, I did a google search on it. There's a Wikipedia article on Engine Cooking, there's at least one cookbook out there called MANIFOLD DESTINY, and several websites devoted to it, including one called roadroast.com.

Regards
John

you put a potato on the exhaust and it didn't cook? what kind of vehicle? I see your screen name is westycamper. is it a westfilia? air cooled with stock exhaust? that might explain it. highdesertranger

WestyCamper:
You can put 'em in a small crock pot plugged into an inverter. There are also 12 volt versions available, but a 12 volt "lunch box" oven might be a better choice for the money.
Vickie

Yea, the small 2 quart crock pots at Walmart ($10) only use 90 watts on High setting. You can run that wattage off your lighter outlet with a 100 watt inverter ($15). I guess if you know you will be driving for the next few hours, why not?

Personally I'd never put anything in the engine compartment that does not belong; 1) You could lose your food, and 2) it could cause a fire. Not worth it IMO.

go to google images
electric hotdog cooker
and you will see many Mad Scientist ways of cooking HotDogs that might work with potatoes too,

An electrode in each end and turn on the power !