• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

considering a private business venture outfitting, Vans, RVs, and trailers..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is doing what we enjoy and doing what is profitable. They are usually not the same thing. The end user will be of different types. One segment will be financially challenged. They are not able to spend the money for a custom build. The other may have the funding but you will be competing with other manufacturers that have assembly lines so builds will all be the same and units will go together quickly. Unless all your builds are for the exact same model, you are going to be using up most of your time fitting pieces to the van. It is not worth the time to make templates as you might not have another customer with the same van that wants everything in the same place.
I would consider making furniture kits that would fit most vans and let the installer worry about the fitment problems. Things like those beds made with slats of wood that slide out and go from a couch to a bed. Or a chuck box style kitchen cabinet. That stores a stove and all the cooking supplies when the doors are closed.

John61CT said:
I live near major population centers, have little kids and am more cautious than most.

All depends on your area.

i'm in a major city (chicago) so i'm hoping to find a professional carpenter...unless i can find what i need pre-built or RTA.

You have a good idea. If you could put camper tops on vans you would be a complete service.
There has to be other like me who need environmentally safe housing like this alternative life style but finding cheep good honest knowledgeable people is hard. This community is a family. I'm stuck in Toxic Florida i need to go west it's what I need.to recover. I know of a school bus I could get but as a MCS disabled F senior I'm not able to do much of the work I cannot bend very long squatting impossible.
I don't know if the retired school bus needs to be modified the seats are removed about 25 'L its in the field next door. When battery put in it starts, I'm told it has new diesel motor. Automatic It has the handicap lift I need . The air conditioning vents still in place and box motor on floor I need Extra electric 50 amp. for air conditioner heater and medical equipment converter/inverted and 12v, high voltage alternator
. But first A.C. , exhaust Fan remove air,. fresh water tank, water filter , waste tank composting separate toilet with accessible waste drain tank , i cannot tolerate the interior of new A.B. C.s RV. Van, VOCs cigarette smoke petroleum carpet femalghides , Exploring a company that makes guaranteed layered insulation for metal building that will not mold from condensation on metal with foil vapor barrier doesn't outgas. It allows. van to be wrapped full circle.. Great for van or buses. The RTR would be a great place to go to give and receive help. In the meantime I'd like to get started on a build Any advice help volunteer would be appricated. Help !Please! Thankyou!

echoscout said:
to be honest - i wouldn't want to work with someone i had to take that many precautions with -- a burner?  sober professionalism?  i think i'll continue searching for some lol
I work from an app called Thumbtack
It's a great place to find a professional.
We have to bid on your job and pay a fee to do it. So the fly by night and intoxicated people aren't a factor. It's worth looking into. Hope you find someone.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I worked in the food truck business and I was just talking about the opportunities that present itself if vans were converted into tiny homes.

To True gentleman
They are out there, you just don't see them.
Most workhorse conversions are pretty stealthy. They can park in an industrial area and go virtually unnoticed. There's a few YouTubers who have them and you would be hard pressed to pick one out of several parked together driving past. Then again in a residential area they shine like a beacon.
Always the trade off. I would like to designated lots in bigger cities where we could park at a small cost and sight see go shopping and spend a night or two but let's face it that's not going to happen in the forseeable future.

I think it's a great business venture building out class B vehicles. Myself, I am leaning towards the transit bus's they have a fiberglass body and a wide interior. Most are diesel and with few modifications can run on a diesel/ vegetable oil mix, very economic. They have also been fleet maintained, a big plus because they have a history report. And I have found a few sites where they sell for under 1000$, Yes it's not a misprint. With the rear AC installed that runs off the engine and a wheelchair lift which can be removed and sold almost paying for the bus. It is a pretty good bargain. On completion you now have a class B that compared to new Models is far superior in materials and design.
Those 100k plus class B vehicles are made from Formica, melamine, and various other cheap products. Some do boast having all oak construction for the furniture and cabinets granted but they weigh quite a bit and suffer in fuel economy. And really are not built for the boondocks. Just go to a sprinter based dealership and ask to test-drive one and start for a dirt road, bet you won't go more than a few hundred yards and will be asked to go back to the road.
Again they are nice for a couple that wants to travel the highway in comfort not for a person who wants to get off the highway for the solitude. Building the vehicle for living off grid and off the main roads is the small opening in market. But because of the people who are interested in a vehicle like this you have to have a fair price for it.
Not many people who are nomads are looking for a 75-100k$ price tag. But if you could have a vehicle designed for your specific needs and have input to it's design start to finish at a reasonable cost it would sell itself. Just my opinion but I have started out tent camping then a minivan and an Astro van now an extended Ford Econoline. As I get older the added hight width and of course a shower will be Paramount in the next vehicle. It really a matter finding your specific needs and matching them as close as possible within economic reason.

truegentlemen said:
Yeah, I worked in the food truck business and I was just talking about the opportunities that present itself if vans were converted into tiny homes.
and it was profitable ??

This is a pretty old post but if you search there are some people building out Suburbans as a living. There are YouTube videos of their process and web site with prices.

For anyone new reading this with this idea:

This is a wonderful idea. Lots of the guys on YouTube doing this are Brits, it would be nice to have more van converters over here willing to give people what THEY want, not the prefab things coming out now. I wouldn't want to pay extra extra just to switch their pre determined plans around. Someone really into customizing, with pre built units would be very nice. I think you'd make good income and have fun. There sure is a market!

A buddy and I just happen to be looking into a business like this. We are currently in the middle of building a "squaredrop" trailer and hope to have it finished by June and will likely sell it. If someone wants or is in need of someone to custom outfit a van/vehicle you can contact me privately through this forum.

HappyLife1977 said:
For anyone new reading this with this idea:

.... it would be nice to have more van converters over here willing to give people what THEY want, not the prefab things coming out now. 

We are all "van converters" here.
And this forum is called CHEAP rv living for a reason.

Most of us can not afford pro - made conversions, and we help one another with advice and ideas.
For the rest of us who can afford having someone else do the work, there is no shortage really of places that do conversions.

Cammalu said:
Squaredrop?  Pics!!!
This is the most recent pic of our build. We're almost done with the interior and then I'll start running the electric. This one will have a galley in the back but I have plans for a similar one with all the bells and whistles.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-23 060521.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-23 060521.png
    1 MB · Views: 9
This pic is not mine but it's close to what the finished look will be. I also have plans for a more traditional teardrop trailer.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-23 061058.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-23 061058.png
    510.4 KB · Views: 7
Very cool. I have a million questions,

what did you put over the plywood on the outside?
where did you get those outside storage cabinets?
what is that outside top rack made out of?

oops I see that last pic is not yours, never mind. LOL

Highdesertranger

Yeah the second pic is from the internet but it's giving me some inspiration.

Any questions about how I plan to finish mine I'd be glad to answer.