Compressing Stored Clothing?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanForNow

Reaction score
Storing off-season clothing can be a nuisance because just stuffing it in a drawer or bag is not always efficient space-wise. The clothes want to expand. As a solution, has anyone tried "ziploc space bags:"

https://ziploc.com/en/products/clos...ag-large-dual-use?cid=SEM_G_ziploc space bags

They are designed to be used with a vacuum to suck the air out of the bag, thereby compressing and sealing the clothes. Of course, few van dwellers have vacuum cleaners, but we could still stuff clothes into the bag, roll it up, and seal the closure.

Does anyone use these bags, or others of a similar kind, to store clothes?

VanForNow said:
Storing off-season clothing can be a nuisance because just stuffing it in a drawer or bag is not always efficient space-wise. The clothes want to expand. As a solution, has anyone tried "ziploc space bags:"

https://ziploc.com/en/products/clos...ag-large-dual-use?cid=SEM_G_ziploc space bags

They are designed to be used with a vacuum to suck the air out of the bag, thereby compressing and sealing the clothes. Of course, few van dwellers have vacuum cleaners, but we could still stuff clothes into the bag, roll it up, and seal the closure.

Does anyone use these bags, or others of a similar kind, to store clothes?
Try something like this instead... no vacuum needed:

https://smile.amazon.com/Travel-Sto...&sr=1-2&keywords=clothes+storage+compress+bag

I've never used plastic bags to store clothes, but whenever I've traveled with very limited space, I roll my clothes up tightly, then stuff them in nylon stuff sacks.

I don't know about the vacuum bags. but I do have a gas powered wet and dry vacuum. that I carry with me. highdesertranger

You could tap a hose off of your engine vacuum line. Once out of storage they will be quite wrinkled. You would have to wash them or carry a steam iron. If the bag has any type of leak it will expand to it's original size so once they are compressed, you have to stuff them into something else. Regular garbage bags will let you do about the same thing. Suck out the air and stuff them into a pillow case.

Most dwellers carry a bucket:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Head-5-gal-1-75-Peak-HP-Wet-Dry-Vac-BH0100/202017218

I run mine on my 400 watt inverter, it is about 33 amps. It has very respectable power, but obviously is not going to compare to a full size shopvac with a 12 amp motor.

Lowes sells a slightly taller more powerful version for around the same price. I liked the lower amp draw and sleeker design of the Buckethead version.

I use it in a 3.5 gallon bucket instead of a 5. I also removed the little plug designed to plug intake if knocked over as I have no intention of using mine to vaccuum liquids.

Vacuuming the van is so much more effective than sweeping the van. I also enjoy the blower ability.

My t Shirts get folded and put in an underbed storage box and compressed greatly inside that box. By sliding them against the side against my belly.

They are great for heavy winter jackets anything fluffy even quilts. There are also ones which have a one way valve so you can manually compress them. Keeps clothes dry and can be kept easily under a mattress.

I use the bags all the time! We pack clothes in them when we travel, store winter jackets and heavy blankets when not needed, etc. One of those small electric pumps that you can use to inflate air mattresses would work if you have the kind that you can reverse to get suction. I have one I paid about $9 for a few years ago.

I find the stuff doesn't come out too terribly wrinkled, nothing a little spin in the dryer can't fix.

What is wrong with wrinkled?
I have a inexpensive nationwide storage unit. Fresh clothing is always available.

Latest posts