Storage solutions- Tips and tricks.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minivanmotoman

Reaction score
When you have limited space, racking, packing and stacking needs to become an art. Am sure there are a  million tips, tricks and methods that we could all share, some well known, some probably not.

Here are a few of mine
1. Cargo netting over the windows. My van has a 4 inch horizontal ledge at the side windows before it curves down to the vertical wall of the interior. This is normally unused space. I drilled holes and fixed motorcycle cargo netting with their hooks, over all of the back windows. This gives me the equivalent of approximately 4"*1.5'*2.5' per window. Roughly the size of a drawer. 4 Windows equal 4  drawers of extra space. I stuff mine with socks, shorts, shirts, tees, pants, towels, sweater and Pringles. This frees up room elsewhere. But then it is all visible inside and who wants to see your pink bloomers? I used Beach towels as curtains hung over bungee cords to cover and give a nice homey effect to the interior. Dual purpose too, easy to grab a towel when you need it. Now the negative Nellie's will say it covers up the windows. I have my back windows covered on the outside in white plastidip for privacy, keeps the van cooler, and gives my white minivan a commercial look. It may work for you. Three tips in one, so you're getting your money's worth here. Lol.

2. Clothes compressing. We've all seen the vacuum bags to compress your clothes. Great idea and doable with seasonal clothes and a car wash vacuum. Not practical when you need your clothes on a more regular basis. Little trick I use, rubber bands. Roll your clothes as tight as possible and hold them tight with rubber bands.  Works with shoes, and other loose items.

3. Unused dead space areas. Under the seats, cut openings in the side panels, inside doors and fenders to store important but infrequently used items. Have a few small plastic tool boxes stored and secured under the hood, with tools placed in heavy duty ziploc bags to keep them from rusting. Being in the Southwest helps alot.

4. Create more space with roof bags, boxes, hitch carriers and totes. All great ways. I found that something more rigid, durable and cost effective was to build a full length/width plywood box bolted to the roof. Quick, cheap and easy to build and mount. Secure and weather resistant. Paint to match your vehicle and nobody will know that it is there! ;;)
Mine measures 4*8 ft, 18 inches high. Perfect size for 15" high totes to fit inside. Great for camping gear, chairs, tools, Christmas decorations and lights, and squirrels and crows to practice their salsa moves on.

So what smart tips have you to share?

Some from me

Learn how to military roll your clothes. Takes up little space and a t-shirt becomes dense enough to bludgeon someone with. No rubber bands needed.
Store your rolled clothes vertically. Takes up less space and easier to see what is what so you aren't undoing your hard work constantly.

Totes are available in every size imaginable. Look around. See an empty space? A tote could go there.
Foam cabinet pads help keep them in place if you didn't build in lips for everything.

Roll up your bedding into one big bundle to tuck out of the way when in couch mode.
Just be sure to make sure they are 100% dry beforehand and they will stay cleaner too.

Keep a dedicated spot near your entrance for store bags you are repurposing as garbage bags.
Helps make sure that trash doesn't accumulate since it is wasted space.

Gideon33w said:
Roll up your bedding into one big bundle to tuck out of the way when in couch mode.
Just be sure to make sure they are 100% dry beforehand and they will stay cleaner too.

I read a tip (this is for cleanliness) where the person said to have a 'bed dedicated pair of socks' - so they never leave the bed and are always clean.
Keeps bedding clean and toes toasty - I like that!

Store flat items under your mattress. I fold my extra blanket and linens this way.

Chitza said:
Store flat items under your mattress. I fold my extra blanket and linens this way.

Heh, I never would have thought of that but it's a great tip and even adds extra padding.

I took out the back seat of my Frontier and made a flat shelf and I put my cooler there which is strapped to the tie downs that were behind the seat with ratchet ties. This keeps the cooler from flying forward in a sudden stop. I also have my food in the back seat in a pullout 3 drawer chest which is also strapped down. I just open the door and can access my food much easier than digging through bins. There is also storage under the flat shelf that I use for toilet paper, baby wipes and other small things.

Minivanmotoman said:
"  squirrels and crows to practice their salsa moves on. "
LMAO. 

All great tips. Thanks.

Tip Number 1: Less stuff

Sure, moving from a building into a vehicle probably means having less stuff than before. But I think many of us still have a lot of stuff in our vehicular homes -- not just to meet basic needs, but also to make life comfortable and fulfilling.

I started out with four large bins of stuff. Every few months I'd go through my things and judge whether I had ever used them and if I ever would. Four years later I'm down to one and a half bins. I suspect I'll be down to one by this time next year. One of my tests was whether I could name everything in the bin without looking. If I had forgotten it was there it meant it was as good as not there at all. So I'd give it away. True, I have a cabinet besides the bins with things I use daily/weekly. But the bin and a half is for seasonal clothing and for things "I just might need some day."

There are lots of little ones I am sure that we all apply. Share some.
One of my favs is Ziploc bags.
Leftovers, no Tupperware to wash and store.
Food storage to get rid of the oversized boxes filled with air to make the product seem bigger. Dont we all hate that con? Happening every day still, I get fooled with packaging whose contents are shrinking all the time but the box stays the same size.
Electronic cables, earphones, loose wires are well stored and kept from tangling. Any loose items can be stored and easily seen, retrieved in a Ziploc. Vitamins, loose change, USB and sd cards (use pencil zip pouches for that).
Great inventions of civilization: duct tape, tie wraps and Ziploc bags.
Pencil zip cases are also great to hold all of your power adapters and chargers. If the item is big and bulky, zip tie the case to the item so I don't lose it. Done that many times. Which adapter for which item? Mark it with masking tape and ID with marker so you can know in future.

I'm in a 1994 pleasure-way class B, Dodge van . For extra storage l put a cheap $20 igloo brand 48qt ice chest in the empty floor space between the front seats. It's not used for ice (still could be) I use it for storage. Cut a Wally world rubber backed rug to fit over the top (the plastic lid top was too slippery) placed a plastic drink holder organizer on top of the rug. 

Found the top still had a lot of empty space. Pushed the drink holder all the way to the front almost touching the dog house. Found enough room behind it for two 1 gallon water jugs and ran a bungie cord between the armrests to put a roll of paper towels on. It's all jammed in there between the dog house and bungie cord.

Life is all about compromise, this setup means I have to use the side doors to get in back, no more walking between the seats. It's still possible to climb over it all, just not easy.

Also considered some kind of "tough tote" like you might use for tools, decided against that because it would cost twice as much as the cooler.

Attachments

• IMG_20170922_153425.jpg
    IMG_20170922_153425.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
I have my back windows covered on the outside in white plastidip for privacy said:
3. Unused dead space areas. Under the seats, cut openings in the side panels, inside doors and fenders to store important but infrequently used items. Have a few small plastic tool boxes stored and secured under the hood, with tools placed in heavy duty ziploc bags to keep them from rusting. Being in the Southwest helps alot.

4. Create more space with roof bags, boxes, hitch carriers and totes. All great ways. I found that something more rigid, durable and cost effective was to build a full length/width plywood box bolted to the roof. Quick, cheap and easy to build and mount. Secure and weather resistant. Paint to match your vehicle and nobody will know that it is there! ;;)
Mine measures 4*8 ft, 18 inches high. Perfect size for 15" high totes to fit inside. Great for camping gear, chairs, tools, Christmas decorations and lights, and squirrels and crows to practice their salsa moves on.

So what smart tips have you to share?
Oh my gosh, you just solved my rear window covering issue! I was going to do something that was labor intensive which kept me from starting that little project. I just ordered and will be using the black plasti-dip spray. It is quick & simple and easily removable if need be. I installed a full time switchedrear view camera & front mounted TFT 7" screen 2 years ago. Don't need or want rear windows. LIKE the insulation qualities of that stuff.
 Black Plasti Dip Spray

Now working on idea for & getting 2 new roof rails for new rack for mounting a home made or purchased bin on passenger side for my dirty clothes. I will likely design & build it myself for the exact size I want/need vs readymade. 

Thank you !! Thank you !!  :D I am beyond pleased  :p

FWIW, if I'd of found your thread first, I wouldn't have begun a new one. Now I monitor yours, and mine. 
This is fun. I get the best of 2 worlds, yours and mine. 
Peace & Goodwill.

No worries, it's all good.
Refreshing topics is always a good thing and may get more people involved and with more ideas.
Threads have a shelf life to ooobbbblivioooonnnn.....

Minivanmotoman said:
When you have limited space, racking, packing and stacking needs to become an art. Am sure there are a  million tips, tricks and methods that we could all share, some well known, some probably not.

Here are a few of mine

Wow!  You're AWESOME! lol ;) I gotta see your rig.

Latest posts