Shower Hacks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainier70

Reaction score
Over time I have used a number of different showering setups.  I only boondock camp so I can't go to a gym or have any showers at campgrounds. 

When hiking or car camping I used a very simple water bottle with a cap that I had put three or four holes in with a small hot nail. It worked very well for washing my hair.  Body washing was more of the washcloth/baby wipe variety.

When camping with a truck canopy I started carrying a pop up shower tent and a pump up water sprayer.  It's helpful to try to find a sprayer that has a "fan" spray nozzle. The Home Depot "deck sprayer" had a good fan nozzle. The nozzle was on an extended tube from the handle so I cut the tube down to about 3 inches, and it worked much better with the shorter length between the nozzle and the handle.  A water sprayer uses very little water per shower.  My average water use is about 2 to 3 quarts of water per shower.  Most of the time I will warm the water to 110 degrees on my propane stove, or set the sprayer in the sun.  The shower tent was about like this one but a different brand.  https://www.amazon.com/WolfWise-Dre...pID=41US2eKngwL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

After we built our first cargo trailer I set up a shower inside.  I use a custom made curtain that goes all the way around about a 2' by 3' area.  I have an elastic cord in the top and simply stretch it on 4 tiny cup hooks in the ceiling.  If you have a metal roof you could use the stick on "Command Hooks".  For the tub I just used a medium sized mortar tub from Home Depot.  That lasted quite awhile.

Then while I was out camping in the far back of beyond my tub bottom broke.  A rock had gotten under it and when I stepped in, it cracked.  I was about 50 to 60 miles from a store, but I really like having a shower and didn't want to do without.  I pulled out a black leaf garbage bag, stuffed the bottom of my shower curtain into it and used clothes pins to hold it up on the curtain.  I had to be careful stepping in that I didn't pull the sides down from the clothes pins.  For the amount of water I used with the water sprayer it worked great. After my shower I simply emptied the bag, turned it inside out and hung it up to dry. I used the same bag for almost a month with no problems.  It was one tough leaf bag! 

I had thought of using it because I had seen where a hiker carried a large garbage bag to take a sit down bath in.  I figured if it worked for that it would work in place of my tub.

Using it convinced me that I could have a shower of some kind in just about any camper or vehicle I am camping in.  Even if I take our Subaru I could jury rig a sit down shower using shower curtains and a leaf bag.  They certainly wouldn't take up much room. 

Now in our cargo trailer I have a shower floor made out of FRP and a couple drains (one in front and one in the back) It is set in front of the doorway.  The FRP has sealed sides that are about 1/2 inch high.  The water goes out the drain before it gets up on the sides at all, and it makes for a good double use of the space. And I can keep the muddy shoes from outside in one easy to clean spot. I still use an all around shower curtain hung from the ceiling and for water a 1 gallon sprayer.  

These are some of the shower hacks that have worked for me.  I just thought I would post them in case they might give someone else an idea that might work for them. 

What hacks have some of you used?

Rainier70 said:
I pulled out a black leaf garbage bag, stuffed the bottom of my shower curtain into it and used clothes pins to hold it up on the curtain.  I had to be careful stepping in that I didn't pull the sides down from the clothes pins.  For the amount of water I used with the water sprayer it worked great. After my shower I simply emptied the bag, turned it inside out and hung it up to dry. I used the same bag for almost a month with no problems.  It was one tough leaf bag! 

Thanks for this tip. I'm planning to use a 30x32 Camco plastic drain pan that is used under washing machines as a shower base in a cargo trailer. You can drill for a drain but since I don't plan to add a waste tank until later, I was trying to think of a way to hold the 1 gall. of water I'd use with a sprayer. I can just empty the leaf bag into a 5 gall. 'holding tank' to empty later. Plus, under the driver's seat of the van I bought a few months back, I found a roll of about 10 those large heavy-duty bags.

In my van I use the washcloth/wipes routine but I just recently found that my double-walled (insulated) plastic travel cup works great for washing my hair. It holds 18oz. and the lid rotates so you can adjust the size of the outlet opening and the rate you're pouring water over your head. My hair is shorter now, so the 18oz. does the trick.

Rainier70 said:
Over time I have used a number of different showering setups.  I only boondock camp so I can't go to a gym or have any showers at campgrounds...

What hacks have some of you used?

Great post. Thanks! 

Car camping, I've used the bug sprayer shower (in a shower tent), but found this one to be the easiest. (See video link below). Very simple and uses very little water. You just have to get the hang of holding the bottle with one hand while shopping or riding with the other. I also heated water in the propane stove. 

I was wondering if this Dog Tub would work in a van:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XGGMS1/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdo_t1_FbGNAbYS67NP8

Rayd888 said:

I was looking at the same thing.  I think it would be great because it folds up.  I would be taking a shower in the open floor space in my van.  I wonder if you sat down in it if you would even need a shower curtain.  And I think it has a drain hole.  Maybe you could attach a hose to it and drain it either on the ground or into a gray water jug set outside the van.

That's exactly what I was thinking too. It does have a drain and I was thinking of sitting down to avoid using the curtain.

Great minds think alike!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

The dog pool looks like a good find.  At 8 inches by 32 though, if you are using any kind of sprayer, I think there will be overspray.   If you don't have much splash it should work without a curtain.  Maybe just gently poring hot water from a bottle or cup would work.

I've used pop bottles with holes in the lid that could be controlled enough to not splash everywhere. In the end it might just be easier to hang a curtain of some kind so you don't have to worry about it. Cloth curtains work well and dry fairly quickly.  A couple of magnets or stick on cup hooks could be your curtain holders.

I had really long hair that took forever to rinse so any of the solar showers, spray bottles, garden sprayers, etc just couldn't cut it.  I'd have to use gallons to rinse.  That and I have carpal tunnel and arthritis so using spray bottles was out.  I was having to pay for showers just so I could rinse my hair proper.

Then....

I got all my hair cut off!  Literally!  Anyone who's ever met me knows my hair went damn near to my ginormous rear!  About 30" at the longest!  It's kind of like this now and I HATE IT!

https://therighthairstyles.com/32-super-cute-looks-with-short-hairstyles-for-round-faces/4/

But it's going to save me a lot of money by not having to pay for showers.  I celebrated by buying this for my new shower and for rinsing dishes:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014ISRA1G/

That's my hack and I'm sticking to it!

Awesome hacks! I saw a guy (Slim Potatohead) on youtube who made a shower in his A-liner and I'm thinking of making this type in my vintage pop up. It's a curtain that goes around but he's using under the dinette seat as the shower's tub. To get the slope so water goes down the drain, he used cedar shims and a drain that goes into a 5 gallon container. Then he sealed it all and used something like linoleum to line it. Then he used a small pump and pumped his warm water up over his PVC pipe shower curtain rod. It looks awesome. Slim Potatohead has a lot of great camping hacks and this one is something that will work for any rig that has a dinette. And even if you don't have a dinette, his tub idea with the shims diverting the water down the drain is pure genius and can be used in many situations.

I use a pump up garden sprayer. I paint it black with paint made for plastic. I then cut off the hand valve and in it's place put on a replacement sink spray head used for rinsing off dishes. The final step is to put it in the sun with a clear plastic bag over it. The sun heats it but the wind tries to cool it down. By putting the bag over it this acts like a green house and the water gets much warmer. I bought a mortar mixing tub at the big box hardware store and that is what I stand in. Feet get rinsed off when I step out. I hang my shower tarps on the open side barn doors of the van.

Just yesterday I had to take my 82 year old mom to the medical supply store. While there I discovered that there are products to bathe and wash your hair that are "no rinse." Even shampoo with conditioner! Shucks, they had a product that looks like a shower cap that you put on and massage into your hair/scalp with no additional products.

61T4Nx84uWL._SX522_.jpg

Walgreen's and maybe other drug stores carry it as well. I think the brand name is different but look for no rinse body wash.
A friend of mine used it and said it worked great. He said he used about a quart of water to get clean. You mix a couple of ounces into water and just rinse your wash cloth into the water and scrub away. I assume you would want to wash your face before your butt, as the water will get dirtier as you go.

I'll bump this thread as my minivan shower rig is quite similar to the OP's various set-ups - it's evolved from backpacking and RV camping (while winterized).  I like using a Tyvek curtain since it's hydrophobic (beads the water) yet is breathable so any remaining dampness after wiping-down/folding-up will always dry completely.  Curtain clips into the 4 coat hooks on the ceiling, and the two lower corners are clipped into the tub which keeps the lower edges inside.  The catch water tub is just a large tray from a nesting/stacking utility tray set - except mine is black, and it's a permanent fixture in my van anyway.  

I use a drinking water bladder with a extra cap with holes drilled into it for my shower.  From backpacking practice, I'm down to using only 0.6 liters for a squeaky clean shower and shampoo w/Dr. Bronner's.  The water conservation just makes things so much easier with regard to obtaining, heating, steaming, and disposing (I just dump it into my 3L Nalgene Cantene pee bladder for public restroom disposal).

Since I use a folding cot/air mattress for a bed, it's pretty easy to temporarily free up space for the shower.  Hope that help some folks.  

43001202910_d81a9407e1_b.jpg

reppans said:
The catch water tub is just a large tray from a nesting/stacking utility tray set - except mine is black, and it's a permanent fixture in my van anyway.
Wow, great setup for a small space with a low ceiling.

Thank you! Clear plastic bag= greenhouse effect. I tried to use my solar shower twice and it barely got warm. It was sunny but windy-duh.