Complete booster set up for under $200

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had any issues with the cable I use but it is not sold by Wilson. I have also not been near anyone with a heavier cable to compare the difference so I may be losing out here.

The LMR-195 is not a heavier cable. The 195 in the name is the actual OD, 0.195". The tech told me
it has better materials, better shielding and is the "go to cable" when using SMA fittings. He also explained
how critical crimping the fittings on is to insure high transmission.Think leaking and noise here.

The one time (construction) radius max is .5 inch, actual use is 2". He highly recommends it for shorter
antenna to device runs.

Basically, the LMR-195 transmits the lower bands at 1/3 the db loss of the RG58 and 1/2 the loss at the
higher bands. I was sold.

Once again, if we are going to spend money on equipment to boost signals, why loose those precious
db on an old inefficient cable? In some situations, it could make the difference between connecting or not.

jimindenver said:
I haven't had any issues with the cable I use but it is not sold by Wilson. I have also not been near anyone with a heavier cable to compare the difference so I may be losing out here.

Any thoughts on the recently released Weboost Drive Sleek 4g?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

The Drive is basically a Sleek repackaged with a new look but it list the same frequencies as the sleek does. I have not seen many refurbished Sleeks lately so I now suggest refurbished Drives for under $150.

Any antenna is better than none.
Elevation will usually get you better signal for your antenna.
The shortest possible run of low-loss cable from radio to antenna is best practice.
Placement/location of antenna site may play a critical factor.
wheels

jimindenver said:
The Drive is basically a Sleek repackaged with a new look but it list the same frequencies as the sleek does. I have not seen many refurbished Sleeks lately so I now suggest refurbished Drives for under $150.

Thanks! But, there’s a new one now too, that I’m taking about. It’s called the “Drive Sleek”. Would you bunch that one with those two as well, as far as functionality?

Looking at the Drive Sleek it appears to cover fewer bands or at least range of bands than the older models did. It claims up to 23 db improvement which is what I see with my directional antenna. "up to" is a interesting way of putting it because that way they can get you excited without ever having to actually provide it. A provider here advertises "up to" a gig per second speeds and charges for it too even if your area only supports 12 Mbps.

It could be that by reducing the bands to those more popular today that they are able to boost just those more. That said bands above and below are being deployed by the various providers so it is important that you make sure the booster as well as your phone supports them.

I would be interested in seeing the new Drive sleek especially if I could test it side by side with the earlier versions.

Interesting. Another cool aspect is that the booster & cradle are separate now, so no scorching heat in the cradle, supposedly. We’ll see. Thx for the info.

Totally off-topic, not only to the thread but perhaps the whole forum.

But just came across a resurrection of the old Iridium global satellite system in the form of a wifi hotspot.

$600+ to start then as much per year, but for basic comms and emergencies in super remote locations. . .

Didn't think worth starting a new thread

http://www.bluecosmo.com/satellite-hotspots/iridium-go-satellite-smartphone-hotspot

Hey All.  If I got the WeBoost, what else do I need for the set-up?  Do I need the same items as the original post?

I believe the cord and directional antenna are the same.

jimindenver said:
I believe the cord and directional antenna are the same.

Thank you.  Do you think I need the antenna or could the uhf antenna be used and controlled by the hand crank? I would think it's not tall enough, not sure.

I had my directional antenna mounted on the trailers TV antenna mast at Quartzsite. It did fine but more height is always better.

I have had multiple devices in and around the cradle.

Jim, the link for the cradle 2 posts above is now redirecting to something else that not only is more expensive but isn't a cradle anymore. Of course this would happen when I want to buy one. Thoughts? Reasonable substitutes?

Oops, I see that the Wilson Sleek that is listed for $80 shows to be a 3G unit on the box.

Mine is the 4G model 460107... the 3G model is a 460106.