Can I power this fridge and electric blanket off 12 volt

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turnip4545

Reaction score
I have jackery 1000
https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Port...1&keywords=jackery+1000&qid=1620677468&sr=8-3

and I would like to power this fridge 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088M3NQYS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

and this electric blanket
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VH2L7JV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3CSATAWWKQ21E&th=1
off of jackery 12 volt port.

I have found this splitter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CMT94CV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A20CDAWHF7TIDS&psc=1
it says that it has a breaker rated for 20 amp.

If my calculations are correct then
electric blanket draws 46Watt max/12volts=4amps
and 
fridge is 60watt max/12volt=5amps

and so this should work just fine with my jackery and the splitter above.

Can anyone advise if I'm making any obvious mistake with my calculations or if this should work.

You're only drawing 106Watts max.  There is a slight surge on the fridge when it starts but that 1000 should easily handle that.

I can't think of any reason that won't work.  You should get 10 hours run time even at max current, but the actual current will be less because the fridge only pulls max amps on startup and when the compressor is running which is about 50% of the time only.

Unless i also missed something.
What are the current ratings for the Jackery 1000 outlets you will be using?

I tried a 12v blanket this past fall. It basically drained my batteries.

I knew right then how important a blanket with a thermostat/timer is.
Definitely worth shopping for that.

I didn’t see how you were charging the Jacorey. That’s something you need to plan too.

You will need 2 100w panels to keep the Jackery fully charged.
You can buy a 110volt blanket with a timer, and use the 110 v outlet of the jackery for the blanket and the 12 v outlet for the fridge, so there is no need for splitter.
the draw will be pretty much the same.

Yeah charging the jackery every day is a consideration. As far as the blanket I didnt see any specs for amps/watts on the Amazon page for it so I cant answer that.

As far as the fridge goes... I have a SIMILAR one. When I was researching the fridge best for me I found a lot of people claimed that most of the compressor fridges used around the same amount of power regardless of the size. Some better and some worse of course.

I found a video of a guy that likes to camp a lot and during quarantine he increased his 12v fridge collection. He had about 18 of them and tested them all in the ambient temp of his basement and posted spreadsheets of his numbers. Roughly the same performance out of all of them. A lot of the smaller ones as expected did a little better obviously.

My alpicool C20 uses about 240-300 watt hours a day. Some days when I leave my 5 watt fan on all night and I'm charging a usb bank (total of 75-100 watt hours) I'll have to put about 410 watt hours back in the battery the following day before it's full.

So best case scenario 1002 watt hour jackery should run a fridge only for 3 days. Maybe only 2. The fridge should be no issue if you have a way to charge it. Electrical heating appliances however suck up power like a hungry hungry hippo.

I have heard of people using them but specific models. Another option I have heard of is a bunk mat type deal. I forget what they're called exactly but they go under you and have a thermostat I believe.

I've heard of using heating pads normally used on motorcycles for winter riding as well. If it were me I would see if I could budget say 400 watt hours per day and get a heater that worked in that range. If not then gotta find a different heater.

Remember if it does pull 46 watts constantly for 10 hours that's 460 watt hours. Lithium batteries can be discharged to 80% if I remember correctly.

1002 watt hours *0.8 = 801.6 watt hours.
Call it 800 watt hours of useable power. 400 is budgeted to the fridge for worst case scenario. That leaves 400 watt hours for the day for everything else. Cell phone, blanket, lights.

Oh. Another thing I just thought of that's worth considering. Many of the "solar generators" like jackery, rockpals, etc have a built in safety feature.

As I said lithium can be discharged 80% of the way. The last 20% is not useable. These units have a shut off feature built in to maintain that last 20% as its dangerous to fully discharge it. So when the battery is totally dry it cannot be recharged by solar, DC cigarette lighter or otherwise. ONLY from household AC, generator, or a pure sine wave AC inverter from another battery bank.

Just something to consider. You never wanna run it completely dry unless you have an AC outlet handy to fill it back up, or at least to start the charging to get it out of the safety lockout.

I have a Sojoy brand 12 volt electric blanket that has 3 heat settings and a timer. Nice and warm but not full size. Was about $23 on eBay last year.

A Sunbeam 110V blanket uses 80 watts on the low setting, 120 on medium and 150 watts on high. (I just measured.)
The high setting will cook you proper, the medium is pretty toasty, and low is very comfortably warm.

However, when you first turn it on - at any setting - it spikes to 170- 190 watts, and hovers there for about 5 minutes.

It automatically shuts off after 3 hours, if you don't turn it off.

I also have a 12V blanket, but I haven't tested it yet. I will report as soon as I do.