Kettle Smoker

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Reaction score
I bought a microwave/convection Combo unit in Aug of last year. I had to enlarge the cabinet a bit to make it fit. After I got it in the cabinet I opened the door a few times and the latch broke, I ordered a replacement unit, and the new one came in with a broken latch. I ordered another replacement, and it worked ok, but the it never seemed to work as the instructions said it would.

https://www.amazon.com/Convection-M...id=1637595208&sprefix=rv+micro,aps,223&sr=8-3

I asked what to do with the 2 bad units, and they told to just get rid of them, so now I had the 2 new ones and the old microwave that I removed to get rid of. I had to pay somebody to haul them off.

Well last week the convection side quit working, it will not heat up any more. I contacted the the company RecPro, and complained about it and was told it was out of warranty, I complained even louder and was finally told they would refund my money for it.

So to replace it I will be trying a Kettle Smoker unit that goes on the stove top. I think will work as a stove top oven unit, I plan to try baking chicken in it today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C279WL7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Others might also consider a nice cast iron Dutch Oven for baking. Lot's of people do that. I don't like the variances in temperature of thin walled aluminum cookware. And I love the enameled Dutch ovens for easy cleanup and maintenance.

OK so I went looking for ideas to smoke meat with cast iron. 

I found this video first. And it shows off a new camping product for me.

Wow. For those that love to cook around a campfire this is great. Sorry if there is a topic on this already. You must see this video:

CampMaid Multi-Purpose Outdoor Cookset

Well they did refund my money for and even refunded the sales tax I paid for it.

I am going to try out my new Kettle Smoker and use it as an oven in the morning.

That should allow me to bake things when I Boondock.

Don't forget Omnia Ovens, Coleman ovens and Winter well Ovens for stovetop. Though a large pot makes an oven just as well. I can bake in a frypan with a lid. Low budget ovens can be made of cardboard and foil or even wool!

Dutch Ovens are great and big and heavy as well.
Enjoy experimenting!

Oops! I finally clicked on your link to check out your kettle smoker... ? Omgosh? That's a great oven! And nice pan! As well as a great price.

Enjoy

A 9" cake pan fits just right inside.

It will take a littler tweaking I burned my Cinn rolls this morning, so I need to work with it a bit.

Yeah, probably get the heat as low as you can and try to "insulate" the bottom of your pan...for example use a heavy bottomed pan, or add a flame adjuster/simmer thing, even raising the cake pan on something like mason jar lids might be enough

Here is the set, it has a water pan in the bottom for wet smoking, than a plate to cooking the food on, it is a bit hard to remove, you have to put something in the slots like a knife to raise it up. Then on top of that I used the 9" cake pan. the thermometer I used is one I had thew one that came with it is only good for 250*. This one never got over 300* this morning, I guess I will have to check the food a bit more often to see if its done.

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpeg
    IMG_0054.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0055.jpeg
    IMG_0055.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0056.jpeg
    IMG_0056.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0057.jpeg
    IMG_0057.jpeg