Coming on Board

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landmaster

Reaction score
How I came to be here: like many others, I first learned of this lifestyle by discovering Bob, but not on YouTube. I came across The NY Times article "The Real Burning Man" and learned that people could live out of their vehicles. That was several years ago and I've been snooping on the forum, watching videos, reading, and planning since.

I have one daughter who read the same article at my suggestion and loved the idea so much she moved into a vehicle a couple years ago and has never looked back, working from the road and traveling the country.

I'm divorced, children are all grown and on their own, so it's time to move on.

Late last year I purchased a small trailer (Interstate 5x8 enclosed cargo) which I refer to as my "oversized teardrop." I've converted it (insulation, flooring, etc.). I'm now finishing my outfitting (solar, fridge, accessories) and hunting for a tow vehicle. Have many models in mind, but finding a trustworthy used vehicle is challenging. I've passed on vans and trucks -- prices have moved above my threshold. Focusing, instead, on SUVs. My budget is 10K with a reserve for repairs, upgrades and an emergency fund.

Hoping to be out by spring (April/May).

Looking forward to interacting with everyone here.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you

Word of advice.....
Design your sleeping system so that you are AT LEAST 14" off the floor. Once I got that lesson learned it was smooth sailing and cozy nights even when the thermometer dipped hard.