Cold weather dreaming

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveca4

Reaction score
Sitting here this morning having coffee, not wanting to go outside where its -40, here in Manitoba. 
Dreaming of traveling and camping from Manitoba to Baja California South on a two month trip next winter. 

But first I need some feedback, tips and or suggestions regarding what kind of camper I should build on my small truck. 
I have a 1994 Ranger/Mazda B3000, V6, 4x4 truck. 

Having done some research on line I'm now trying to drill down to what might be the right approach for me. 
Here is some criteria and various approaches I've come upon. 
1. The finished camper should be removable or at least not be a problem as I use the vehicle day to day while I'm traveling to work. Only semi retired. 
2. I could utilize the cap I have on it now and build various styles of platforms with drawers or storage boxes on top of which I put a mattress over the whole box bed. 
3. I could build a slide in Camper that ideally can has legs allowing the Camper to be taken off the truck. 
4. I could remove the whole truck bed and build a camper to get a bit wider camper, one that has legs and can be removed from the truck easily. 

I'm open to any and all suggestions, tips, ideas. 

Steve
Manitoba, Canada

I would utilize your cap for organized, slide out storage, and tow a 6x10 enclosed trailer with a bed/sink/solar that has an awning for shade. You could leave the trailer in a spot to hold it while you work.

This single axle 6x10 trailer would be about 1200# empty with 120# tongue weight, and run in the $2000 range brand new (cheaper when used).

ckelly78z said:
I would utilize your cap for organized, slide out storage, and tow a 6x10 enclosed trailer with a bed/sink/solar that has an awning for shade. You could leave the trailer in a spot to hold it while you work.

This single axle 6x10 trailer would be about 1200# empty with 120# tongue weight, and run in the $2000 range brand new (cheaper when used).

I tend to favor the on the truck camper as it will allow me to go places I can't go with a trailer camper. Another thought was to do as you suggestion and put slide out storage under the cap but then to build a roof top tent and mount it above the cap for sleeping quarters. 
thanks for the suggestions.

I think a fabulous Baja adventure trip would be be best if you can build something that you can stand up in to get dressed everyday.  You will want to cook inside most of the time.  There may be other things you need to do comfortably and privately.  Remember that part of the trip will be driving there and back through cold and windy weather.  Your muscles will be stiff from driving.You’ll overnight  in places that may have no facilities at all.
      Slideins are on collapsible legs so that when off the truck, they are just a step off the ground.  You can park it at home and have an office/escape hatch/dream space to plan your next trip.
       If you are going to put a lot of work into your vacation living quarters, and spending that time in it, why not make it a little more special?

Depending on your budget, Four Wheel Camper sells a shell slide-in camper that is light weight and decently insulated (with the arctic package)