Chevy Express Purchase Find

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keightley

Reaction score
So I think I have found the perfect van for me.  And it is relatively close.  It will only take a day, maybe two to drive it home.  Woohoo!  The only thing that the owner said that concerned me was that "it does leak from the oil pan".  Could this be a sign of anything major that would make this a lemon?  I am having a pre-purchase inspection done on the vehicle.  But before I spend $200 I just want to know this is most likely a minor known issue.  I like to think the best of people until proven otherwise.  So I look at the pre-purchase inspection as a means to identify unknown issues even to the seller.  

Another mechanical topic I wanted to ask about this van is this.  In Gideon's post "Info on Common Vans" (which is a freakin awesome post!), he said that the 350 engine is what one should want.  How do I know this vehicle has a 350?  It is a 2003 Chevy Express.  The owner states that it has a V8 engine.  And yes... I am totally naive when it comes to all things mechanical.  And yes... now that my home will be a vehicle, I intend to learn as much as I can over the next few weeks.  :shy:

Cheers,
Keightley

Sounds like you are doing the right thing getting it inspected IDK they are charging $200 for this now? If it will ease your mind money well spent. Any used car is a buyer beware situation. I usually buy Prius the last one was a Prius V 2012. Not as much space as a cargo van but problems are rare. I have bought 2 used Prius and each turned out ok as long as they have no electrical issue usually cool. I wish I would accept the economy of the van but I remember how prices shot up and with all the saber rattling with NK we could find our selves in a WW3 situation rather quickly. That happens range will matter.

Oil pan gasket. EASY fix that will cost you all of $12 to do yourself. So long as it hasn't been ran low on oil (most oil pan gasket leaks are just drips) it's absolutely fine. Heck, the old adage for small block Chevys is "If it ain't leaking oil, it's out of oil" though that comes with an issue of the two piece rear main seal design.

Glad you think my post is awesome :)

Ask the guy if it's the the 5.7L v8. That's the 350. You can also go online and use a vin decoder or check it out in person and look (at the stickers and documents too).

BUT ... If I remember correctly, in 2003 they stopped using the L31 5.7 in favor of the 5.3L LM7. It's a good motor. Still a small block Chevy (like the 350) just a modernized version. Very efficient for it's size and solved a few quirks.

I really need to update that sticky I wrote to include some newer vans (and their different motors) since there seems to be more and more people opting for newer versions.

Anyways, if you're not mechanically inclined then you need to get the vehicle checked out and preferably BEFORE you buy.

Shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

minor pan leaks are common,gaskets are cheap,easy if you can just pull the pan off but if there is a clearance issue you might need to jack the engine up or remove the starter or whatever to get it off

should be the first year of the ls/lm engine which is 2x better than the 350 in every way except repair cost where it is 2-4x more for parts,the old chevy small blocks are the cheapest engine for parts so everything is more expensive

does the one you found have a high top?

Gideon33w said:

I have had leaks on my Prius because I change my own oil I don't like to tighten the oil filter too tight so sometimes I will see it has a drip I just get on my back get under her give the oil filter a little twist and that is all it is. When I went to take the first filter off the car I had to run a screwdriver through it and beat it off with a hammer. I suspect either they don't lube the gasket or they NEVER CHANGE THE FILTER ! Something I was told by a former employee (hear say yes but I believe him) that there were days when Joseph said don't change the filters today we don't have the time. When I heard that I said I use to change oil at gas stations I can do this myself. My Prius V I don't it has a different oil filter that pisses me off too Toyota went to a type of filter that was used decades ago something I am not use to. So I just get them to do it but I just don't trust people to put synthetic oil in the car or to change the filter when they change the oil?

The cars today have low oil censors they are nearly impossible for you to screw them up . They will shut down if you don't run the right amount of oil. PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORY IF YOU HAVE ACCIDENTALLY BURNED TOO MUCH OIL ? I know I did with my Prius I was towing (not recommended ) from GA to LA I drove the speed limit in the wind and I pushed my car to see just what sort of abuse it can take. SO later I know if I drive the car the way I normally do BABY IT then I know the car will make it. Since they don't recommend I use the Prius to tow I will not tow in mountains just not something I need to do. I want to tow my trailer JUST IN CASE EMERGENCY. If I need something and they say we can't get you a truck until thursday I say that is ok I will be back tonight. They are shocked to see a Prius showing up to bring home the supplies to get the job started