Checking out first vehicle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheketEchad

Reaction score
It's not really a van, and it's not really an RV, it's a shuttle bus, so I hope this is the right place to post.

I have no mechanical friends or even any males to go with me to view this vehicle, and, I'm not very vehicle smart. It's far from me, so I don't know any mechanics locally.  Should I just pick one and make an appointment?

I did speak to a friend who lives in a northern area and he stated to check the undercarriage for rust due to salt use on the roads.

2001 Ford Transit with 121K miles. Gas, automatic. It is already converted and RV titled. Formerly a church bus, then used for a couple to travel and do road shows with. 

I've looked locally and w/in 200 miles, and haven't found anything like it that would fit my budget.  Found conversion vans that would still need a lot of work to make full-timing for me possible.  Also found regular cargo vans as well, but again, would all need the interior worked up.

I'm supposed to go up the end of this month and see it in person.  Other than service records request and manuals, any additional suggestions on things I should look for or ask about, would be welcome.

it would help if we knew what area you and/or the bus are in. then maybe someone could go with and lend a hand. highdesertranger

Oh, well, yes there is that. I just figured most people that attend here are out West :) Thank you.

I'm in North Carolina; the bus is in Ohio. I would be car camping up to there and back from 9/28-9/30

I called my mechanic in Florida that I referred another van person to in another thread, and he gave me some good suggestions as well.
He also thinks it is very overpriced and that I should offer less (which I intended) I've looked at unconverted buses of the same type and they are still expensive and lack the 600 Watt solar kit.

Since it's up north and shows rust on the door bodies, he told me to have them take pictures underneath and see if there is rust-through, thin spots or pitting on the undercarriage.

He also told me these buses are notorious for leaking behind the walls, and to get up on the roof and also take a hygrometer to the walls (lol), to check all window seals and such.

Please let me know if there is any further info I can provide.

yes rust is a killer. rust is like an ice berg what you see is only 10% of it. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
yes rust is a killer.  rust is like an ice berg what you see is only 10% of it.  highdesertranger
Yes.  I'm almost thinking I'm going to go with just a conversion van locally where I can LOOK at it more easily.  At least here we have no ice really to deal with and it's about half the cash.   Or let my mechanic help me find one in FL when I go down for Thanksgiving.

Maybe I don't need as much room to live and work as I think I do.  I had a 34' RV before and that was just way too big for me to drive comfortably.  My only real concern is due to me planning mostly Eastern coastal regions, I don't think I'll be able to be outside nearly as much as folks out West can.

It's easy to resell a van, not so easy to resell a bus :)   I'm short, so as long as it is a real high-top I should be able to stand.

Decisions. Always decisions.

Your Thought Processes are excellent. :)
Yes, definitely go with your gut, and take your time.
I envy you your FL mechanic - he sounds awesome! :)

Deciding on a Hightop:
Do you have any significant back issues?
If not, a regular top might be viable.

The key is to avoid standing bent over.
That sounds "obvious", but the "trick" is to always have somewhere genuinely comfortable to sit when you're doing stuff.

For example...
My first couple of weeks in my "regular" top van, I did experience back pains and I don't have any real physical issues in that area.
Then I picked up my 5 gallon bucket (from my storage unit), found myself using it as a chair/stool while cooking, and all pain disappeared. :)
I had been sitting on a very short step-stool, but that was too short.
The bucket is the perfect height, and remarkably comfortable. :)
Two non-dweller friends have also attested to that.
Note that I spend all day inside my van, and other than brief periods when I'm moving around, I'm sitting either on my bed/desk or my bucket.

Thanks, everyone.

No, I don't have any back issues yet, and I'd like to avoid them! Since I work in front of a computer all day, I'm thinking of cooking times, bathing times, just need to stand and stretch times, and jump up to take the dog out times. Bonking my head (although it's pretty hard, lol) isn't something I'd like to make a daily event :)

When I couldn't sleep last night (mah brain was verrrry busy), I also added these pros to the local conversion van column:

I wouldn't have to tow my car to have a vehicle to get around in, but I could if I wanted. Most vans I've looked at have tow packages.
If it really felt too small after a while, I could get a small u-haul type trailer or even a Shasta or such to pull behind the van if I'm not bringing the car.
Insurance will possibly be cheaper
Registration will be cheaper
Parking will be easier, even in 'urban' settings when I might have to avail myself of that

And, if I buy something cheaper, that leaves more room in the budget for any repairs that might pop up suddenly. It also allows me to add the solar that I want, rather than the solar that is already in place on the bus. (which is a decent system from what little I have learned)

The bus seemed a good size, the conversion looked well done in photos, it came with the solar already done, and it felt big enough for me and a dog without being too big and cumbersome. But in my excitement, I think I am overlooking some potential drawbacks like having to buy an ebike or such to get around since no tow package(more $$), resale feasibility should I need to do so, and likely repairs due to age and winter use with probably a more limited mechanic base to choose from versus a van.

I'm not putting the bus off the table just yet, but I'm not as stoked as I was originally. I don't like having to pay to get there AND pay a mechanic, only to discover it won't work.

@Kaylee - Yes, Rick is a great person in addition to being a reputable mechanic.
@Sofisintown -My mechanic even offered to call a local mechanic for me once I found the zip code of the location, and arrange the viewing by talking mechanic to mechanic first.

Still need to keep my thinking cap on for a while.

You might bonk you head for a while but then your brain develops body position memory and you adapt your movements to the space. My travel trailer has a low area and a popup area, I never think about where I am and at first I hit my head often moving around inside and going in and out the lower door but it did not take long before I quit hitting it. Now knocking my head on roof or doorway only happens once in a great while. Painful learning curves tend to be a short time due to the negative reinforcement when you get it wrong.

I have personally talked to some folks who have bought busses of all sorts and more than you would think say they wouldn't do it again. They can be ungainly to drive and park. Some have said they can't get used to it. They have also mentioned the requirement to have something else to run into town with. To be fair, some who have busses love them and the space. I know that busses can be difficult to resell regardless. I think the slow approach you are taking is smart, it's easy to get excited and rush into a purchase you may regret later. One thing to think about, shuttle busses are lower to the ground, designed for city streets. If you intend to boondock that may restrict the roads open to you.. Rarely have I met anyone with a van that didn't like it. They may get tired of the lifestyle but I don't hear them blaming the vehicle. One thing to think about, you don't often get the real story from a seller. They come in all flavors so take what they tell you with a grain of sodium.

maki2 said:
You might bonk you head for a while but then your brain develops body position memory and you adapt your movements to the space. My travel trailer has a low area and a popup area, I never think about where I am and at first I hit my head often moving around inside and going in and out the lower door but it did not take long before I quit hitting it. Now knocking my  head on roof or doorway only happens once in a great while. Painful learning curves tend to be a short time due to the negative reinforcement  when you get it wrong.
Yes, pain can be an excellent teacher :)   I'm only 5'2" when barefoot, but it's been years since I've been in any kind of van.  Used to drive Astros when I was a baby momma.  But that was just driving, not living. 

I think the only way I'll know is to try it, and trying with a van instead of a bus is more sensible. While I am wildly excitable and gung-ho, I do usually (sometimes) come to my senses.   It will be like buying a house, STOP LOOKING once you buy one and learn if it works.  I'd rather test it out while I own my S&B and tweak as needed.

owl said:
I have personally talked to some folks who have bought busses of all sorts and more than you would think say they wouldn't do it again. They can be ungainly to drive and park. Some have said they can't get used to it. They have also mentioned the requirement to have something else to run into town with. To be fair, some who have busses love them and the space. I know that busses can be difficult to resell regardless. I think the slow approach you are taking is smart, it's easy to get excited and rush into a purchase you may regret later. One thing to think about, shuttle busses are lower to the ground, designed for city streets. If you intend to boondock that may restrict the roads open to you.. Rarely have I met anyone with a van that didn't like it. They may get tired of the lifestyle but I don't hear them blaming the vehicle. One thing to think about, you don't often get the real story from a seller. They come in all flavors so take what they tell you with a grain of sodium.

Yes, all of this is good, and probably why I couldn't sleep the other night.  My brain was busy recalculating, re-examining risk, listing pros and cons. And thanks for pointing out the lower clearance issue, that was one that had escaped me.  I do plan to boondock more than 50% of the time, so ground clearance will most likely be an issue.  Also, if I get stuck somewhere, nearly anyone could winch a van, prolly not a bus :)

sheket, your approach to your choice of vehicle is a good one although it may be daunting at the moment. We've all been where you are and understand what you are going through. If I may I would caution you to not overthink it ( one of my tendencies ) whatever decision you make is a step forward. I wish you luck and safe travels however you get there.

Sheket, another possibility is a minivan. Bob Wells is recommending them, apparently as his first choice for people starting out, on his recent video, see 5:00 on. Plus very easy to resell if you change your mind after a while.

In regards build out, you don't "really" need to spend a lot of time and money to get the basics. A simple platform for a bed, with storage underneath, plus some plastic cabinets, will get you going in a just a couple of days. I have a GMC Savana cargo van, and my actual build out is a platform bed with foam mattress plus a wooden computer desk with slide out shelf (I put the mouse there), and nothing more. 90% of storage goes under the bed, and I use a folding deck chair to sit at the desk for computer work. You can use a regular height chair in a cargo van, as long as you don't clutter up all of the floor space with too many cabinets.

BTW, for regular vehicles like minivans and cargo vans, cargurus.com is a really good place to shop.

I looked all over for a van and the ones I found were in different locations, so I used YourMechanic and LemonSquad to conduct vehicle inspections for me. Not as good as being there, but they do an efficient job of taking lots of photos and going through a 150 pt inspection.

I was satisfied with both services. Not perfect by any means, since you don't know the mechanic personally, but worth the money to check before travelling to see.

owl said:
sheket, your approach to your choice of vehicle is a good one although it may be daunting at the moment. We've all been where you are and understand what you are going through. If I may I would caution you to not overthink it ( one of my tendencies ) whatever decision you make is a step forward. I wish you luck and safe travels however you get there.
Me, overthink?  (looks around for an owl's nest nearby)  I spend more time thinking than sleeping, so you'd think I'd be smarter by now, lol!

I have spreadsheets for food costs, solar input, energy usage, campground links, cell service reports, three different budget scenarios, yadda, yadda - nah, overthink?  

My position on this because I have to work every day, is that my considerations will be more of logistics planning and plan b scenarios due to the job expectations rather than the freewheeling I see that many are able to do. I'll get to do that on the weekends, but 7-4 I currently belong to someone else. My approach would be far more carefree if that were not the case, and of course, if I didn't have a budget :p

Rojo Zoso said:
I looked all over for a van and the ones I found were in different locations, so I used YourMechanic and LemonSquad to conduct vehicle inspections for me. Not as good as being there, but they do an efficient job of taking lots of photos and going through a 150 pt inspection.

I was satisfied with both services. Not perfect by any means, since you don't know the mechanic personally, but worth the money to check before travelling to see.
Wow, I've never even heard of those services!  Thank you.

Rojo Zoso said:
. . . I used YourMechanic and LemonSquad to conduct vehicle inspections for me. Not as good as being there, but they do an efficient job of taking lots of photos and going through a 150 pt inspection.

I was satisfied with both services.

Thank you for these recommendations! I don't know anyone personally who'd be able to check out a vehicle for me, and I was stressed over how I could find someone to do a pre-purchase inspection. After seeing your post, I looked at the websites for both services and LemonSquad costs a little bit more - but it seems that pre-purchase inspections are all they do, while YourMechanic offers all kinds of mechanical work. Did you prefer one over the other?

Well, I did it! No, I didn't buy the FIRST vehicle I looked at, lol.

I am typing this from my new-to-me van, looking at pine trees and crepe myrtles, preparing to eat dinner and spend the first night in Roamin' Ruby. I'm even having a wee cup of celebratory Malbec. Mainly because I am camping in my yard, lol!

Should I do a separate thread do ya think? Damn, I am excited!!!!