Cheap solar, will it last? Time will tell ($90 for 100w)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneaks

Reaction score
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]
Had some time tonight after work to play around with some of the new stuff. So, this cheap ass solar panel from eBay wasn’t quite as described. Reached out to the seller, and though they responded quickly, they really didn’t know much about what they sell. Yeh, and English definitely wasn’t their first language, despite shipping out of California, responses came in around 2:30am and needed my Ingrish translator to figure out they didn’t understand my question. So it was listed as “100w solar panel with 2 USB plus 12v & battery clips.” Welp, it did come with a ciggy plug and some tinfoil alligator (more like tiny as hell salamander) clips... but... no place to attach them, lol. All there was on the junction box were 2 USB ports. They did revise the listing after I purchased to show output of 5.5v @ 1500ma. So I asked wtf? They were clueless and were going to “ask me our supply” which I took to mean “ask our supplier.” For $35, I told them forget it. Popped off the “junction box” and looked at what I was dealing with. Two nice tabs coming out of the panel with blocking diodes, connected to a PCB with that only had the USB ports and some ICs[/font]
[/size]
[/font][/size]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]
2054938.jpg
[/font]
[/size][/font][/size]

2056050.jpg
[/font]
[/size][/font][/size]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Disconnected after the diodes, put it in the sun, connected my DMM to the diodes and BAM! 22v DC. Clipped on a couple of leads to a big resistor I have kicking around and got 8.3a in full sun 90 degrees to the panel. WOOT! Wired it up with a 20’ run of 10ga fine strand copper wire soldered to the diodes, wrapped in that expandable nylon wire sheathing, terminated with a SAE connector. Tested in the shade about 7:30 tonight and still got over 18v over the 20’ run of cable [/font][/size][/font][/size]
icon_smile.gif
[/font]
[/size][/font][/size]

2056048.jpg
[/font]
[/size][/font][/size]

2056049.jpg
[/font]
[/size][/font][/size]

2056047.jpg
[/font]
[/size][/font][/size]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]I have a weatherproof passthrough SAE socket that will go on the back of the bus by the left tail light to feed into the solar controller. This weekend will install that, mount controller, set up the ammeter, etc. Even is this thing shits the bed in a year, worth it just for the education and I’ll have the groundwork in place for a better panel and controller.[/font][/size][/font][/size]

2056046.jpg
[/font]
[/size][/font][/size]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Cost:[/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Cheap ass panel - $35.99 shipped (Ebay)[/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Cheap ass “50a” PWM controller - $12.29 (AMZ)[/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]100’ 10ga fine copper strand wire - $17.48 (used half, AMZ) [/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]SAE connectors - $13.79 (AMZ)[/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]50’ nylon 0.5’ expandable sheathing (plus 50’ 0.25 roll for other stuff, AMZ): $10.49[/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Total - $90.04[/font][/size][/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Playing around with something new - $ priceless.[/font][/font][/size]

Sounds like you are having fun and getting power.

1shemp said:
Sounds like you are having fun and getting power.

Other than a daily bowel movement, what more could a guy ask for?

Quick update, got it installed and hooked up this past weekend. So far, so good. Made a center stack with ammeters for house and bus with DPDT switches to reverse polarity so can monitor input and output on both circuits.

2057753.jpg

2057752.jpg

2057751.jpg

2057748.jpg

Attachments

• 2057748.jpg
    2057748.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 2057751.jpg
    2057751.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2057752.jpg
    2057752.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2057753.jpg
    2057753.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 5
I suspect I got the better bargain buying a 100 watt panel with good components ready to hook up if you take into account that the labor I had to do to fund the money was a whole lot less time consuming.

But it is not all about money is it? The fun was in taking junk and making it function after sourcing out a lot of parts to do it with. Sourcing parts can be "treasure hunting fun". Almost like going out looking for treasure with a metal detector or doing magnet fishing off a bridge. Some people love doing trash to treasures.

maki2 said:
I suspect I got the better bargain buying a 100 watt panel with good components ready to hook up if you take into account that the labor I had to do to fund the money was a whole lot less time consuming.

But it is not all about money is it?  The fun was in taking junk and making it function after sourcing out a lot of parts to do it with.  Sourcing parts can be "treasure hunting fun". Almost like going out looking for treasure with a metal detector or doing magnet fishing off a bridge. Some people love doing trash to treasures.
I suspect you are right on the cost, added to that the hours upon hours that I scoured, fretted, and waffled back and forth on pulling the trigger for low-buck stuff. There's a certain level of anxiety and stress involved with any purchase, regardless of the cost. I think sometimes going bargain basement can be as stressful (for me) as ponying up $$$ for top shelf.

If you will indulge me on a little segue, there's definitely cost vs value. We started **** back before it was "a thing," and had to make a lot of things that now - if you have the money - you can go to a box store and buy. We killed 2 Ninja & one Magic Bullet blender\food processors in less than a year before the better half convinced me to purchase a Blendtec. It was expensive, but when I added up the costs of the lesser appliances, it wasn't really. 6 years later (and one year still left on the warranty), it is still kicking butt. Make almond flour out of whole almonds? Blendtec. Make pudding in 30 seconds? Blendtec. Make butter? Blendtec. Chip trees? Blendtec. Make sand out of rocks? Blendtec. The thing is a BEAST and worth every penny. We go through 12-14 pots of coffee a day (caffeine helps my ADD better than Adderall ever could) so we have a commercial Bunn since Mr Coffee really only works for a pot or two a day. Expensive? Yes. Great value? Most definitely. My muffler is a $14 RockAuto universal can, but my brakes are all genuine ATE from Germany. Spend where you get the value for the important stuff, play instead of pay where you can. 

I'm on several other forums - Expedition Portal, Overland Bound, The Samba - and the culture on those boards are much different than here. I rarely post on those, I read a lot for education, but pretty much if you aren't building out with Yeti everything, $1400 solar kits, high end lighting, or $400 NOS original German fuel pumps (mine is out of a 90's F150 for $38), you aren't doing it right. I can appreciate the quality of a $200k Earthmover or someone who builds out a top shelf rig starting with a new $65k truck or SUV, but I could never do that even if the funds were unlimited. What I love about here is the creative, budget-minded, KISS culture. Work with what you have, build vs buy, invest where it is important, and be creative when you can. You are spot-on with the last statement as well. I got immense satisfaction out of putting this together on a budget. For our purposes, solar is more of a "nice to have" instead of a "must have" situation, as our rig is more of a camping\get out of Dodge for a bit situation than attempting a sustainable lifestyle. I have huge respect for anyone who cuts the wires to our commercial society, goes their own way, and makes it work living their best life without being tied to property. I've learned a ton from people here, even though my goals are not the same, the desire to make something work in a small mobile space without a bottomless checkbook is in perfect alignment with how my brain works. 

So, with all of the above said, thank you to everyone who contributes here for your experience, your knowledge, and your independent spirit. I hope to be able to give back a little in return :). Stay safe, stay healthy, stay true to yourself.

Sneaks you forgot "Snow Peak". they love their Snow Peak stuff over at Expedition Portal. for those that don't know what snow peak is,

https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Peak-Ba...+chopsticks&qid=1593524460&sr=8-2&tag=mh0b-20

50 bucks for a set of chop sticks, you have got to be kidding me. all of their stuff is super high end camping stuff and they love it over at expedition portal. bunch of snow peak snobs.

highdesertranger

Titanium camping stuff is not cheap. I have a few things. The only snowpeak I have is one 600 ml mug and I forget what I paid 15 years ago...maybe 20-30 bucks.

highdesertranger said:
<snip>50 bucks for a set of chop sticks,  you have got to be kidding me.</snip>

Yeah, but if you buy 2 sets you can make a fork if you duct tape 3 of them together and still have one left over to poke things with.

sneaks said:
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]100’ 10ga fine copper strand wire - $17.48 (used half, AMZ) [/font][/size][/font][/size]

DIY is what I do too.   Say where did get the wire?

highdesertranger said:
Sneaks you forgot "Snow Peak".  they love their Snow Peak stuff over at Expedition Portal.  for those that don't know what snow peak is,

50 bucks for a set of chop sticks,  you have got to be kidding me.

highdesertranger
I sure didn't know about that brand. Wowzers.

That's pricey. It struck a cord with me. A week or so ago my nephew and I were sitting around my grill waiting for some chicken poppers to finish and we were having a salad. Store bought packaged in store in their own bowls. 

We were using his camping utensils/ plates/ cups he just got. Well we couldnt find a second fork. I had some inside of course, but I just grabbed some of my kindling I split for the grill. BOOM. Chopsticks. 

He bet my I couldnt eat with them. So naturally CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. Long story short I even fed him a cherry tomato with my DIY chopsticks. He couldnt even use them to pick one up. He found the second fork. Nope. I finished my salad with DIY split oak chopsticks. 

My cost for the hatchet I use $11 and change from tractor supply. Unlimited chopsticks. And I can use them to light the next fire. Win win. Haha

Sorry off topic but I HAD to tell someone. :p

sneaks said:
From these guys, they don't have a listing up for the red\black 50' each color that I bought, but their 100' single color of OFC is still pretty decent price at $25.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pyramid-Au...487535&hash=item3d22f2ab11:g:65IAAOSwU-pXshUO

Thanks! The red/black double is what I had before (I bought what I had from a tent in Quartzsite a few years back) and I couldn't find again. This will do because I really liked the fine stranded rubber coated 10g wire!
Thanks again!