Popeye's Scavenge System-Solar+Electric

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvpopeye

Reaction score
Here's what I did for the system in this rig , a 1981 23' class C on a Chevy G30 1 ton chassis.

After the fire (Nov. 2008) in my class A I did manage to salvage some of my old components.
1: Siemens 75 watt solar panel. (in perfect condition , it was up on the roof )
2: RV Power Products (now Blue Sky) Solar Boost 2000E 25amp MPPT controller
(Took a little heat damage but most functions seem to still be working)
3: Link 10 Battery Monitor Meter (no longer in production , took a little more heat and only the amps in/out function still operational. The shunt, distro panel and batteries were left behind as tow company only gave me 1 hour to salvage what wasn't destroyed completely. Had to prioritize.

6 months later......I was given a "basket case" RV.....I had limited tools and resources .

I mounted the panel to the aluminum roof racks with some pieces of aluminum dock pieces (scrounged , of course) and 1" stainless wire clamps.

I used a leftover spool of 10ga stranded single conductor from an old job.
I tripled and quadrupled the conductors depending on length and current, ponied up for some nice copper lugs , used a hammer and anvil to crimp and then a butane torch and some nice multi-core tron solder.
I know it wasn't ideal but that's what I ended up with .

Installed a relay under the hood to link starter battery and house battery and feed alternator to house system , switch activated from either battery and off. Linked this to rear distro panel with 4 conductors of 10ga run through a piece of garden hose along the frame (about 20').

Made all my own power distribution terminal strips with some Corian like plastic I scrounged from next to a grocery store dumpster and stainless bolts. Bought a new shunt . Housed all that in a Rubbermaid plastic tub with clamp on cover mounted to the back wall of my now empty gen bay. Which will also house the salvaged starter battery from the class A. The 2 new 6v Deka GC batts were left behind , wahhh!

The panel was connected with 8 ga to a weatherproof electric box mounted on the roof .
From that I had 4 conductor 10ga running about 10' in to a tupperware bread box on the rear wall above the battery / distro bay which I mounted the controller and batt meter in.
Then 4 conductor 10 ga about 8' to the distro box .

That's pretty much as it now sits in use since spring 2009. With any sunshine , I'm usually back to float mode in an hour or so , my loads have long ago been adjusted to not use very much of my capacity.
I replaced most of my interior light bulbs with some LED 1156's I got at Wally's auto dept for about $8 each , they use less than 10% of the amps the old incandescent bulbs did. I charge my laptop and hotspot from 120v electric found wherever I am.....right now on free campground power due to my workamping gig this summer !

I'll get some pics taken and post later......................

I did replace the now old house battery with a take out HDT starter battery that I got from a local truck repair place that my friend owns . Not deep cycle but the price was right ...free !

Yeah it did suck big time , but looking back just a bump in the road !

I forgot and need to add...
I used med size copper split bolts (Burndies , left over from my electric job days like the spool of 10ga) to connect the 8ga to the 4x10ga in the roof box and also from the 4x10ga to a couple of short 8ga reducers to the back lugs on the controller in the controller/meter box :rolleyes:
And more 4x and 3x 10ga for the batt pos to the distro panel and batt neg to the shunt and shunt to frame.

NoAlox used on most connections especially outdoor stuff,,,great stuff,also left over from electrical jobs.

Really creative use of salvaged parts!! The most important part of the story is you learned to live within the means of the power you had. Conservation is number one with all solar use!
Bob

PERZACTLY Bob ;) That's what this whole rig is , almost no money and still making it all work !
I know a guy that used to live on a beach in Mexico with just a backpack and a jungle hammock.
So ,compared to him , this is stylin' , well , except when the roof leaks !!! Skuh kuh kuh kuh

But that van Dusty found on CL is cool , wish it was a little bit longer...................
Somebody here has to get it ! Oh My GOSHK !

Latest posts