New 100W Harbor Freight Solar Kit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Itripper said:
Lots of 100w traditional flexible solar panels on Amazon from $149-$180 or so range. They take up much less space than the Harbor Freight and are much more efficient
[img=352x341]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...n.com/images/I/61OkuhYdzDL._SL1000_.jpg[/img]
For example This panel and controller is $170 and while not the best is far superior to the harbor freight setup. The panel weighs 1.69 lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Charg...8-1-spons&keywords=flexible+solar+panel&psc=1Charge Controller
Flexible Panel
There are only two reviews on this panel you linked to. One says it's putting out 36 watts rather than 100 watts. I bought a similar panel rated at 10 watts, and it's clearly only a 5 watt panel. With these no-name panels being pumped out, it's really hard to know what you're going to get, and forget about any support or warranty. And the longevity of these flexible chinese panels is unknown. If you get a true 100 watt panel, it will certainly be a lot smaller than the 4 HF panels. And maybe it will last longer, but that's hardly a sure thing. Note also no stands or cables, and kind of floppy to stand up for portable use. They may be better, but I'd like confirmation from users who test them.

The HF charge controller is a mystery. I don't understand how it works after reading the manual, and no one has commented on it. Lots of cheap ebay pwm charge controllers have been tested and opened up, and seem to be decent quality. Easy enough not to use the HF controller if it's no good.

Would love to see a performance comparison between HF panels and one of these flexible chinese ones in the same sunlight.

Lots of people showing bias against HF, with "you get what you pay for" type comments. HF sells cheap stuff, some of it is good, and some not. Lots of expensive name brands sell bad products. You don't always get what you pay for - sometimes you just overpay, or buy more than you need. There are now several good reviews of the new HF panels. That, of course, is not the last word on a brand new product, but I'd rather listen to people who are using the product over tropes from people who are speculating. So, more facts and fewer unsupported conclusions would be most welcome.

it's not HF, they're amorphous panels....its 70's tech and they're over-priced.

Most of the solar industry is sleezy. They over-volt panels so it looks like they output way more than they advertise then turn around and sell you MPPT bullcrap for 4-5x to make up for the money you already pissed away. Recently I've noticed the next level of this as people slowly catch on is to make "efficiency" claims by over-voltaging. *ahem....renogy. The first thing you do when you're buying panels is to look at the Vmp. If it's more than 17v RUN.

Next is charge controllers. newbs always fall for the cheap controller package kit. if you're using solar daily you CANNOT USE CHEAP CONTROLLERS. they're $15, $30, $90 for a reason. They won't charge your batteries because they dont come anywhere near the voltage you need for a real solar setup and they're pre-set. If your purchase doesn't have DIP switches RUN. It will ruin your batteries. If you're going to use your system once a week then it's ok.

bardo said:
"it's not HF, they're amorphous panels....its 70's tech and they're over-priced."

Where can you get equivalent panels for less? Many experts think thin film is the future. is there a new technology that has not been around since the 70s? I also felt that the 45 watt panels were overpriced. The 100 watt set seems competitively priced when on sale.

"The first thing you do when you're buying panels is to look at the Vmp. If it's more than 17v RUN."

I assume you mean for a 12v system without mppt. What really matters is how much power you're losing with pwm when the voltage of the panels exceeds the charging current needed by the battery. I don't know how closely the rating will match actual output. But your point is well taken. No point in paying for power that you can't use. 

"Next is charge controllers. newbs always fall for the cheap controller package kit. if you're using solar daily you CANNOT USE CHEAP CONTROLLERS. they're $15, $30, $90 for a reason. They won't charge your batteries because they dont come anywhere near the voltage you need for a real solar setup and they're pre-set. If your purchase doesn't have DIP switches RUN. It will ruin your batteries. If you're going to use your system once a week then it's ok."

This really makes no sense to me. First, you don't need dip switches to set the charging parameters if the presets match your battery chemistry. Second, the voltage comes from the panels. Why wouldn't the voltage be what your battery needs if the parameters are right? You will only damage your batteries if the controller over charges them, or doesn't properly cut off the load when depleted. The cutoff is too low for comfort on many controllers, so you have to watch your voltages when drawing power.

There are many reviews on youtube of cheap pwm controllers that work properly with flooded and sla batteries. I have several, and they adjust the output properly in my testing. There are mislabeled ones for sure, so one needs to be careful to buy a product that has been tested to be true pwm. If you know something that I'm not aware of, you need to back up you conclusions with more than opinions.

Maybe what you mean is that a lot of packaged kits don't have a proper pwm charge controller. I think that was true of the original HF 45 watt kit, and it may be true of the new 100w kit. I suspect from reading the HF manual that the controller is dumb, and might well damage your batteries.  But it's not true of all kits.

Classpro said:
There are only two reviews on this panel you linked to. One says it's putting out 36 watts rather than 100 watts. I bought a similar panel rated at 10 watts, and it's clearly only a 5 watt panel. With these no-name panels being pumped out, it's really hard to know what you're going to get, and forget about any support or warranty. And the longevity of these flexible chinese panels is unknown. If you get a true 100 watt panel, it will certainly be a lot smaller than the 4 HF panels. And maybe it will last longer, but that's hardly a sure thing. Note also no stands or cables, and kind of floppy to stand up for portable use. They may be better, but I'd like confirmation from users who test them.

The HF charge controller is a mystery. I don't understand how it works after reading the manual, and no one has commented on it. Lots of cheap ebay pwm charge controllers have been tested and opened up, and seem to be decent quality. Easy enough not to use the HF controller if it's no good.

Would love to see a performance comparison between HF panels and one of these flexible chinese ones in the same sunlight.

Lots of people showing bias against HF, with "you get what you pay for" type comments. HF sells cheap stuff, some of it is good, and some not. Lots of expensive name brands sell bad products. You don't always get what you pay for - sometimes you just overpay, or buy more than you need. There are now several good reviews of the new HF panels. That, of course, is not the last word on a brand new product, but I'd rather listen to people who are using the product over tropes from people who are speculating. So, more facts and fewer unsupported conclusions would be most welcome.
That panel and controller are just one of dozens of different ones on Amazon, I just posted those real fast for example. I have used several cheap panels and controllers in the past and have had zero problems with them.  I eventually upgraded to first rate panels and controllers due to increased power needs but never had a problem with the cheap setups. Mostly the solar controllers needs to be programmable to battery absorb and float or it is useless, a cheap controller will cost you your house batteries eventually.
IMHO the Harbor Freight setup is hugely inefficient and takes up a large amount of space for the watts delivered, everyone is limited on roof space. I was just providing examples of products similarly priced that are better/lighter/smaller/more efficient than the harbor freight panel.
Personally for a cheap setup you can't beat the Renogy  100/200watt setup with controller, they stand behind their product and they are rock solid.

Gideon33w said:
Just wanted to let you guys know that Harbor Freight is now offering a 100w kit similar to the old 45w kits they have been selling for years.

It's 4x 25w panels amorphous panels with a LCD charge controller, wiring, and built in USB charging. 

I like the amorphous panels for vandwelling. You don't need the 25 year long lifespan of mono or poly crystalline panels and so long as you have the room (amorphous takes up more space per watt) they keep a higher wattage output in high heat and partial shade (always an issue for us).

The array is about 39x55". You could fit that on a minivan even with a fantastic fan. I think the charge controller is the 30amp model which could handle a whole extra 100w array though you'd need a full size van to fit the less space efficient amorphous panels.

Selling for $169 and there's a 20% off code right now. Code is: 23512413 - Their ground shipping is slow but cheap.

If you aren't doing refrigeration a 100w kit like this is a great starting point to run and charge your electronics plus a fan or other misc.

Just bought HF kit.... 
Not impressed.... 
I need to build a frame for it as this one is flimsy and built with thin metal... 

Charge controller ok for charging cell phones. 
Wiring tiny huge voltage drop.. 

However,  panels produce rated power... 
But,  Renogy looks much more substantive.. 

I'll eventually 
buy a Renogy kit with Xantrec controller to add to it...

I bought 2 100w Grape Solar panels from Home Depot.

They still have them on 'sale', $99 each. You have to order online and ship to a local store (or some other address). Of course you would have to pay local tax, but shipping is free. 

They are pretty sturdy, and a good value for the money. 

Add a controller of your choice, and I think this item would be better than the Harbor Freight deal.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-S...ts-and-12-Volt-Systems-GS-Star-100W/204211365

Yep!

Yesterday when I posted the link, they were $99...now they are are $89....even better deal!

They are decent panels....certainly worth that.

KathyC said:
If it was me, I'd opt for a Renogy 100 Watt kit (eBay: $160/delivered).  A high-quality panel that comes with an OK charge controller and MC4 cables.  The 90 day Harbor Freight warranty tells me all I need t know about their quality (Renogy has a 25 year warranty).  It is not the "suitcase" type and doesn't have the 12 light kit, but this is, imo, a great starter panel that won't be obsolete if you want to grow your system later (charge controller manages up to 400 watts).  Like I said, it's just my opinion...

Exactly.  The harbor freight panels are about half the effective use of watts.  So 100 watt system is a 50 watt system.  These are great little starter solar systems for back yard use but are not good panels.

I was considering the new Harbor Freight 100w kit until I compared it with the Renogy 100w kit. Upgrading the HF kit with the 30a charge controller would increase the cost to about $260.00 while the Renogy kit comes with a 30A charge controller for the base $180. Granted it is the MPPT but then I doubt the one from HF is either. I was also concerned about the ease of expanding the HF kit later -- the option appears to be nil for that -- and expanding the Renogy seems nothing more than a matter of buying additional panels and hooking them into the system.

Am I missing anything critical?

RamblinRogue said:
I was considering the new Harbor Freight 100w kit until I compared it with the Renogy 100w kit. Upgrading the HF kit with the 30a charge controller would increase the cost to about $260.00 while the Renogy kit comes with a 30A charge controller for the base $180. Granted it is the MPPT but then I doubt the one from HF is either. I was also concerned about the ease of expanding the HF kit later  -- the option appears to be nil for that -- and expanding the Renogy seems nothing more than a matter of buying additional panels and hooking them into the system.

Am I missing anything critical?

Sorry, guys, that was supposed to be "Granted it is NOT the MPPT. . ."

Hi, I got a new harbor feight 100watt system I also have a Northern tool 30watt both are for 12v batterys.
The northern is mono & the hf is amorphous, 
On a sunny day no clouds my 30watt mono will only but out around 1 or less amps and clouds will make 0 amps
Now just 1 of the 4 panel of hf is 25watt & will kick out 3to4 amps & when clouds ( i checked in the rain all clouds) just as much as my mono does in the sun. Checked panel with craftmans voltage meter run both trough an 20 amp all power charge controller. pwm and run trough the 30amp i got with the hf but it don't show charging amps but i do use it for the 100watt system 
One thing i've noticed is the hf panels are 18v and put out 25v with sun  so they hold more volts in shade for charging
my 30watt mono will only go to 19-20v and my finger  placed on it will drop the volts to 10v 
I can stand in front of my hf  not drop voltage
I'll post more with the time and heat test.
I

Compare the watts per square foot of the HF with maybe Renogy 100 watt panels.

Quick question on HF solar...not specifically the kit mentioned here.

Background:

Our plans are to install a Renogy 100 or 200 watt kit in our trailer.

We were informed that a family member recently purchased a HF solar panel (pretty sure he didn't do a whole kit, so probably a 25w panel from HF).

Question:

Can the panel our family member is giving us be tied into the Renogy kit?  From the looks of the cabling/connections on the HF website, I would need to clip the cable end and attach an MC4 end to tie it in.  Is that correct?

the VOC(voltage open circuit) must match or be real close.

I have always been told that it's best to only use matching panels on one controller. but I know for a fact that you can mix because I do.

I would always test the panels to make sure they are playing nice together.

highdesertranger

oh BTW, msk go to he "Newcomers corner" and give us an intro and we will give you an official welcome.

The problem I have is that my fibreglass egg trailer has a raised stiffener down the middle and the only panels I can fit on top are the HF ones. Everything else I've found is too wide to fit.

" the only panels I can fit on top are the HF ones"

I find that hard to believe. you got to keep looking. some one gave me a set of the Harbor Freight panels, they are the cheapest looking and feeling rigid panels I have ever seen.

highdesertranger

FWIW, the controller is advertised as 10a but it’s actually fused at 20a, so running 2-3 kits on one controller appears to fit within the real world amp threshold. I’m running two 100 kits one one controller - G2G. I chose this set because of the shade-friendly amorphous panels, been awesome. There’s a YT video of a guy who opened it up and showed that, open d up the two I have and same - 20a.