Wal-Mart Renogy 100W Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit w/Wanderer 10a Charge Controll

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryJ

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this kit?  It's only $128.59 at Wal-Mart.com, which is the price of the panel alone at most other places.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Renogy-1...9i3GKdcfqb9WXBTt0H8cdfuVFAvEkgIxoCKOcQAvD_BwE

Kit includes:
- One Renogy 100w monocrystalline solar panel
- One 10a PWM Wanderer charge controller
- One 20ft 10awg MC4 adaptor kit
- One 8ft 10awg tray cable
- Set of four Z mounting brackets

I only need solar for the Alipcool fridge I just ordered, and one of the reviews stated they used it for the same purpose and they gave it 5 stars. All my small electronics can be charged via my Prius (but I don't want to keep the Prius in ready mode 24/7 to run the fridge).

I'm thinking at this price, it won't hurt too much if some part of the kit doesn't work well (I'm sure I'll have to replace the charge controller before anything else).

Anyone have experience with this kit or any of it's components?

I dont have experience with it but seems like a solid entry level system

I've been using that setup since last year and I bought it off Amazon for $190. My controller is the same model but is 30A which I guess is overkill for 100 watts but it allows adding more panels.

It's paired with a 105ah FLA battery and powers an Alpicool C20, fans, LED lites, a laptop, battery chargers,etc.

I've added a second battery (100ah AGM) and a 80W Renogy portable panel but haven't hooked them up yet.

Thanks for the info slow2day!  I think I'll get it, seems like a good start at least, and won't hurt the wallet too much if I have any issues! 

Thanks for your advice as well Truman!

It is a good system. For low use. It is not in stock at Walmart. They order it for you for pickup. The price is very low and I would be suspect of availability. Get two.

Jerry, are you planning on mounting it on your roof or just using it as a "portable" system?................THANKS

Weight said:
It is a good system. For low use.  It is not in stock at Walmart. They order it for you for pickup. The price is very low and I would be suspect of availability. Get two.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the kit Weight!   Probably good advice to grab another kit, the panel itself cost as much as this kit most places, and the extra parts could come in handy!

I got free shipping to my house, says it will be here Friday.

That looks like a good deal, congrats JerryJ! Let us know how it works out when you get it.

Ken in Anaheim said:
Jerry, are you planning on mounting it on your roof or just using it as a "portable" system?................THANKS

I plan on using it as a portable kit.  Mounting on a Prius cuts into mileage, and improper angle to the sun cuts into panel performance, so I'll be repositioning it a few times a day as necessary.

According to Slim Potatohead on YouTube, the Alpicool uses such a small amount of power, I may be fully charged by noon. Can't wait to find out!

mjbeam64 said:
That looks like a good deal, congrats JerryJ! Let us know how it works out when you get it.

Thanks, will do mjbeam64!

The Renogy kit arrived! Why do I always feel like a kid at Christmas when I get a package?

First impressions: seems to be a quality kit, the panel with its frame is heavier than I anticipated, the wires are thick and strong and the initial cut for stripping has already been done with the insulation just needing to be slid off (a great service from the factory, many people cut a lot of strands off of wires when stripping the end and often expose too much wire), the connectors are also strong and attached well, and the electronics on the back of the solar panel are thoroughly waterproof and firmly attached.

It didn't arrive till mid afternoon, so no testing it today, but I'm feeling confident this was a good purchase!

Hooked the system up today. Using a 35ah SLA, everything went together smooth and firm. The battery was mostly charged already, just needed to replace the shelf discharge. Got anywhere from 2-5.6 amps registering on the charge controller depending the angle to the sun. Once the battery was charged, the controller showed 1.5amps continuous during float cycle.

Tomorrow I'll run the system with my new Alpicool c20 attached and see how well it keeps up.