New 100W Harbor Freight Solar Kit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon33w

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you guys know that Harbor Freight is now offering a 100w kit similar to the old 45w kits they have been selling for years.

It's 4x 25w panels amorphous panels with a LCD charge controller, wiring, and built in USB charging. 

I like the amorphous panels for vandwelling. You don't need the 25 year long lifespan of mono or poly crystalline panels and so long as you have the room (amorphous takes up more space per watt) they keep a higher wattage output in high heat and partial shade (always an issue for us).

The array is about 39x55". You could fit that on a minivan even with a fantastic fan. I think the charge controller is the 30amp model which could handle a whole extra 100w array though you'd need a full size van to fit the less space efficient amorphous panels.

Selling for $169 and there's a 20% off code right now. Code is: 23512413 - Their ground shipping is slow but cheap.

If you aren't doing refrigeration a 100w kit like this is a great starting point to run and charge your electronics plus a fan or other misc.

Not a 30A charge controller..

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-watt-solar-panel-kit-63585.html

Accessories Included (4) 25W solar panels, (6) panel connection braces, (2) LED bulbs, (1) DC connector cable, (1) battery clamp connection cable, (1) 10A Charge Controller, (1) 4 in 1 connection cable

Get plenty of clean, quiet energy from the sun with this efficient 100 Watt Solar Panel Kit. This solar panel kit comes with a voltage regulator, mounting hardware and the basic connections you need to start generating renewable energy. Use this easy-to-install solar generator to power small cabins, boats and RVs.

100 watt solar panel gives you plenty of clean, quiet energy - no fuel required
Amorphous silicon solar cells for maximum output in both bright and cloudy conditions
Lightweight, weatherproof construction - easy to set up and maintain
Blocking diode prevents panels from discharging your battery at night
Charge controller protects your battery from overcharge or discharge
Comes with mounting hardware, 12V Light Kit, battery terminal clamps and universal DC power adapter
USB port for charging smartphones and tablets

* Based on stated specifications of our standard product. Requires 12 volt storage battery and 300 watt power inverter (sold separately).

If it was me, I'd opt for a Renogy 100 Watt kit (eBay: $160/delivered). A high-quality panel that comes with an OK charge controller and MC4 cables. The 90 day Harbor Freight warranty tells me all I need t know about their quality (Renogy has a 25 year warranty). It is not the "suitcase" type and doesn't have the 12 light kit, but this is, imo, a great starter panel that won't be obsolete if you want to grow your system later (charge controller manages up to 400 watts). Like I said, it's just my opinion...

+1 for Renogy vs. HF. While readers may remember that I have posted about HF tool sales in the recent past, I don't care for their low quality solar kits. Now I don't own one but have watched several YouTube reviews of their 45 watt systems, and they don't impress me as far as cost to wattage ratio's and overall quality.  Now I could be all wrong and they might just drive Renogy under with this latest offering but I kinda doubt it...

Nothing wrong with you letting us know about the option, after all, I occasionally post about their sales too.   :D

I believe you are misunderstanding the warranty. Renology has a standard defect warranty but otherwise the 25 year warranty is only in regards to a nominal decrease in output over 25 years. It's similar to the "best-buy" dates on canned goods. It's the date at which the manufacturer no longer guarantees quality. Not that I'm bad mouthing Renology. They do make good stuff.

As I stated above, mono and poly crystalline panels have longer lifespans. This is just inherent to the design. Mind you, it's pretty irrelevant on a van.

Ahh, I see the 30A charge controller is a separate upgrade.

I've had two of the old 45w HF kits. One van mounted. Only issue I ever had was after several years the plastic frames started to separate at the joints. Still held up fine though. As for tools ... Well ... Those are certainly a "get what you pay for" item, haha.

I live in Arizona. Parking in full sun is suicide at times and the heat soak on solar panels gets pretty extreme. Hence why I like the amorphous panels. Even partial shade (parked in the shade of a spindly leafless tree) can drop monocrystalline output to zero and they really suffer in the heat. An issue here as high noon is the most direct lighting for van mounted panels but also means the most heat. Polycrystalline is better but still have the same issues.

I don't want to get into a solar debate, haha. Just sharing some info.

You're of course right about the Renogy warranty - their panels have between 3 and 10 year material and workmanship warranties The power output warranties are also important and an indicator of the cell/panel durability (or at least Renogy's belief in durability!)

Definitely don't want to debate solar -- just offering additional choices to those who may be unfamiliar. I'm certainly glad that you found something that works for you -- that's the beauty of options -- something for everyone!

It's good to be reminded of the mono vs poly cell pro's and cons.  Mono's seem to be the prevalent panels that are offered in kits, I have forgotten that there is the shading issue, I usually think of shading being the reason I wouldn't series wire multiple 100 watt panels (as opposed to parallel). If the mono panels are affected that much by the stray branch, that would certainly be a thing to consider. I see several YouTube videos where vanners install panels with roof racks above them, cutting right across the panels. If their panels are monos and thus very susceptible to shading, they are shooting themselves in the foot it would seem.

The following is taken from Renergysolutions.co.uk site: (England)
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Aug
[font=Oswald, sans-serif]MONO VS POLY SOLAR PANELS[/font]
[/font]

[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Posted on Monday, August 12th, 2014[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Written by Prashant Patel[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]What is the difference between Mono-crystalline and Poly-crystalline solar panels?[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]First things first, let’s break it down.[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]The mono-crystalline panels are made out of cells from pure silicon.[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]The difference between mono-crystalline and poly-crystalline solar cells is simply that Mono is produced from a single crystal of silicon whilst Poly is produced from a piece of silicon consisting of many crystals. Mono Panels take more time to manufacture and this is reflected on the price. Usually Mono is pricier than the Poly panel.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Mono modules have a darker appearance with rounded cells whereas Poly modules have a less uniform appearance since they are made up of many crystals. This also means that the Poly Modules absorb slightly less solar energy and produce slightly less electricity, hence the cheaper price.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Mono-crystalline solar panels will typically have higher efficiency rates (15-20%), converting energy particularly well in low-light conditions. For a limited area, Mono would be the best option since usually they have higher efficiency. Although As technology progresses, the gap between mono and poly continues to shrink.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Poly-crystalline cells are known to function better than mono-crystalline under high-heat circumstances however less efficient in low light conditions.[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif] [/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Mono Pros:[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Highly efficient[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Uniform appearance[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Performs well in low-light conditions[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Ideal for areas with space constraints.[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]They have been around a long time, proving their longevity and durability usually comes with a 25 year warranty.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Mono Cons:[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Slightly more expensive[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Sensitive to shade.[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif] [/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Poly Pros:[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]They waste less amount of silicon hence being more budget friendly.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Poly Cons:[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Lower efficiency[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Performs less in low-light conditions[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Panels require more space when installed[/font]

[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]So the ultimate question is, which panel should you go for?[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Now that we narrowed down the pros and cons for each solar panel, other factors come into place when making a decision, such as the manufacturer. Different manufacturers carry different qualities and at the end of the day if the solar panels come with a 25 year guarantee you would need a reputable manufacturer that has been in the industry for long enough to know that he will honour the guarantee when it comes down to it 25 years down the line.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Now back to the original argument, Mono VS Poly. If you are limited with space, you are more likely to benefit from the Mono-crystalline panel since they take up less space whilst producing more.[/font] [font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Even though Mono-crystalline has a better reputation for being more efficient, the Poly-crystalline solar panels have come on leaps and bounds as technology has progressed over the past few years. The climate where you reside, budget, roof space and aesthetic preference are all factors one would need to take into accounts before making an official decision but we mostly side with Mono solar panels at Renergy Solutions due to the efficiency and experience have with the great performance of Monocrystalline solar panels.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Published Date: 12th August 2014[/font]
[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]End of quote[/font]

Another thing, under the CRVL Blogs, our founder, Bob, had posted in 2013 that he couldnt recommend the HF system, due to some limitations vs a separate kit:

Harbor Freight 45 Watt Solar Kit

Posted on January 7, 2013 by BobBob — 39 Comments ↓

Perhaps Bob could get ahold of the 100 watt unit for an updated field test?

The key thing with the old 45 watt kit is they include standard glass instead of tempered glass. You can count on cracking it eventually. I don't know if they 100 watt kit is tempered it or not, but if not I wouldn't consider one.

Here's the actual HF description:

[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Verdana][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Verdana][size=x-small][size=small]Description

Thunderbolt-Magnum-Solor.gif
Get plenty of clean, quiet energy from the sun with this efficient 100 Watt Solar Panel Kit. This solar panel kit comes with a voltage regulator, mounting hardware and the basic connections you need to start generating renewable energy. Use this easy-to-install solar generator to power small cabins, boats and RVs.
[/font][/size][/font][/size]

• 100 watt solar panel gives you plenty of clean, quiet energy - no fuel required
  • Amorphous silicon solar cells for maximum output in both bright and cloudy conditions
  • Lightweight, weatherproof construction - easy to set up and maintain
  • Blocking diode prevents panels from discharging your battery at night
  • Charge controller protects your battery from overcharge or discharge
  • Comes with mounting hardware, 12V Light Kit, battery terminal clamps and universal DC power adapter
  • USB port for charging smartphones and tablets
[size=undefined][size=undefined][size=undefined][size=undefined][size=undefined]
* Based on stated specifications of our standard product. Requires 12 volt storage battery and 300 watt power inverter (sold separately).[/size][/size]
[size=small]Specifications
Name
100 Watt Solar Panel Kit
SKU
Brand
Thunderbolt Magnum™ Solar
Amperage (amps)
Material
Aluminum frame, plastic
Quantity
Wattage (watts)
Product Height
7/8 in.
Product Length
39 in.
Product Weight
33.4 lbs.
Product Width
13-5/8 in.
Shipping Weight
42.80 lb.
Accessories Included
(4) 25W solar panels, (6) panel connection braces, (2) LED bulbs, (1) DC connector cable, (1) battery clamp connection cable, (1) 10A Charge Controller, (1) 4 in 1 connection cable
[/size]
[/size][/size][/size]

It says aluminum and plastic in the specifications, no mention of glass (?)

I never had either of the 45w kits end up with cracked glass. Thankfully, even in Arizona where pebbles are everywhere, the airflow over a van mean it would be pretty tough for a rock to smack your panels unless you have some sort of an airflow issue.Even if one did it should be at a glance. Mind you, everyone with a rack should be running a deflector to improve aero at least for fuel economy reasons.

I've also seen several people with setups that shade their own panels. Not the brightest move, haha.

We're debating getting this 100w to install on our company vehicle for mobile recharging of our equipment. If we get one I will report back :)

akrvbob said:
The key thing with the old 45 watt kit is they include standard glass instead of tempered glass. You can count on cracking it eventually.  I don't know if they 100 watt kit is tempered it or not, but if not I wouldn't consider one.

From manual of this unit, "16. Handle panel with care.  Glass may break or a  sharp edge may be exposed during movement."

And wonder what this statement is about, "Note: It is normal to see up to 20% degradation in amorphous silicon solar panel performance within the first 6 months before the amorphous coating stabilizes."

Harbor Freight is great! At least for those of us to poor to afford snap-on quality tools. Plus, as an added bonus, when my cheapo crap breaks from HF, I get to tear it apart and try to fix it(the fixing it part is wishful thinking, but its fun to tear it apart!)

I have owned 2 of the 45 watt systems they sell. If I knew everything I knew now, I would go a different route. However, at the time, they got me into solar and learning about the basics. So I kinda have a soft spot for them..

Just an FYI, the pawn shops here(key west FL.) have big boxes of sockets for 10 cents a piece, i always go there first when looking for stuff like that. picked up 2 doz. sockets snap on, mac,matco, its an ugly mismatched set. i saved the best for last, they are ALL impact sockets, all 1/2" drive. and all in great condition. the best part is they have a lifetime guarantee, which would be cool, except i can't get them to break. i wouldn't be suprised if a lot of pawn shops do that.

hmmmm...description says: 

• Package includes: 1pc 100W Foldable Mono Solar Panel Kit (2pcs 50W mono solar panel & 1pc pre-installed 15A charge controller & 1 pair pre-installed 10ft solar cables with 1 pair 30A battery clips & 1 set adjustable aluminium stand, handle and latches)

Gideon33w said:
If you aren't doing refrigeration a 100w kit like this is a great starting point to run and charge your electronics plus a fan or other misc.

... I'm not understanding this statement , [refrigeration] & [starting point]
        I'm a full-timer ... for years I've been running an ARB 50 qt. frig, 12v water pump, 12v TV & power ant., 10 spd Max fan, led house lights & charging laptop, hotspot, phone -- off of a 100 watt panel [renogy] , 20a mppt , 105 ah batt. - no problem