Cell deals

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimindenver

Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread listing what we all find as cellular deals that come and go. Please post if the deal you find has expired or changed so that people are not planning on it if it's not there.

I will start with my current favorites.

The Verizon 3G unlimited flashed hotspots on ebay. Speeds of up to 3 Mbps and the great Verizon coverage for $5 a month. Here is a quick search on ebay for them. I see the 4510L that I use is listed as $60 with two months of service.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...mited.TRS0&_nkw=verizon+unlimited+3g&_sacat=0

The second is the AT&T Mobley that is unlimited for $20 a month. The only thing is you have to keep checking to find it in stock.

https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html#sku=sku7700323

The third would be my 4Gcommunity unlimited Sprint hotspot but I am waiting to see what they offer when they start taking new customers again next month.

I will try to stay on top of other deals as they show up. I won't be trying any because I am pretty happy with the services I currently have.

So what have you seen of interest lately?

Cricket wireless has unlimited for $55 a month if you choose auto pay. Cricket uses AT&T towers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been surprised at how well Cricket has connected in the southwest after hearing people trash AT&T. It has been very rare that I had a Verizon signal and no AT&T and vice versa too. They seem to be extremely evenly matched where I have been. Cricket does not roam so that can be a limiting factor but it has not been one often.

Jim, I am set on experimenting with MIMO and got this Verizon AC791L today for $82...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon-Jet...042641&hash=item1c7bffad50:g:j-oAAOSw44BYk4az

Also got one of the cross polarized panel antennas that sell for about $10. It comes with 3 meters of dual cabling, which is good.

Now, I'll need to figure out the Verizon plans, enhanced by buying discounted PIN numbers, then see about building some serious WiFi yagi antennas for when I run out of data !
I just don't see how the Wilson type log periodic antennas for broadband cellular use have sufficient radiators to develop real world gain for a long haul to a remote tower, for the money they ask.
I am almost sure a parabolic antenna would be superior to them, just not a cute little gray plastic triangle package !

For a popular location like ehrenberg, a WiFi bridge set up somewhere in between, run off a battery and solar panel would be a bonus !
If someone was flush, and set up a Mimosa system and charged subscription for it... that would be even better !
( Perhaps one of the year-round merchants could do that ? )
I'm Very impressed with their stuff !!!
Best, wheels

I have to tell you that the WeBoost wide band antenna can pull towers in from 20-30 miles. I am sure there is better out there, there always is of course but how much space are you willing to dedicate to a big yagi or parabolic antenna. In Ehrenberg all I had to do was point it at the truck stop and I had T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon all ripping along.

Nice hotspot by the way. I will be interested on how the Mimo works.

Hey Jim, could you possibly link the WeBoost wide band antenna you are talking about?

The biggest thing is to make sure the antenna covers the bands you need. Sprint uses 2500 which the booster says it does not cover. With the antenna covering that range I see a improvement anyways.

Blanch, thanks for the link. I purchased one, if it doesn't work for what I need (Verizon)? It's Amazon, I can return/exchange it. And thanks again for driving me to the auto parts store. That would have been a long walk.

Jim, can you explain how I would go about utilizing one of the flashed hotspots you talk about? Why is flashing necessary and once I purchase a hotspot, do I just need to acquire a Verizon sim card for the hotspot?

This communications section has brought a ray of light to my cave. Less I forget, there is a reason I journeyed to the cave.

Does the WeBoost work without an antenna? Is that two separate purchases?
Where do you set it up? Does it need to have a perm. Mount?

I am looking at trying to get just cell phone and text. I have no need to have any data on my phone. Trouble is.. the phone that has just phone calls and text is that old style flip phone...the keyboard is useless to me. Texting is just about impossible on it.

Any ideas how I get a smart phone (prefer an old one) with just talk and text?

I have ATT now, I want to add Verizon ... just to get better coverage.

SalsaDog said:
Blanch, thanks for the link. I purchased one, if it doesn't work for what I need (Verizon)? It's Amazon, I can return/exchange it. And thanks again for driving me to the auto parts store. That would have been a long walk.

Jim, can you explain how I would go about utilizing one of the flashed hotspots you talk about? Why is flashing necessary and once I purchase a hotspot, do I just need to acquire a Verizon sim card for the hotspot?

This communications section has brought a ray of light to my cave. Less I forget, there is a reason I journeyed to the cave.

You are welcome! I was happy to help.
I am using that antenna for AT&T and Verizon. It is working very well for me, a two to three bar improvement when paired with the Wilson WeBoost 4gs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kat

The hotspots are flash to work on 3G. They take a flip phone account and put the info on the hotspot. You can get the flip phone with calls and text but it will run you $15 a month instead of $5. You can also get a smart phone with calls, text and data for the same $15 a month. Once you own the device be it phone or hotspot you can get prepaid cards or use a credit card on the account to pay the monthly fee. You will see the phones on this page like the hotspots.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...on+3G.TRS0&_nkw=unlimited+verizon+3g&_sacat=0

The wweBoost and Sleek cradle boosters come with a small magnetic antenna that goes on the roof of your car. The larger wide band antenna and cable are separate purchases that could be hard mounted but I have mine so that I can move it anywhere on the rig that does not shade my solar. I use a tire mount and 3 section window washing pole.

Thank you. BUt, I will not use eBay or PayPal
They helped scammer cheat me.

I advise all my friends to stop doing business with them too.

If you want a basic smart phone and not a lot of minutes, look into FreedomPop.com . They have deals all the time. It can be set up to only use what is free, check out Jim's FreedomPop thread. I'm thinking of getting a second phone for backup as I lose my phone sometimes and I can't call anyone to ask them to call me so I can find it.... :)

VanKitten said:
Thank you.   BUt, I will not use eBay or PayPal

Kat

When we meet I have a extra 4620 Mifi that I can have remote flashed if you wish.

SalsaDog said:

The hotspots ae like any other. Turn it on and sign in with a computer. tablet, phone, firestick, etc like any other wireless device. You can access the online manager by typing 192.168.1.1 into the address bar, from there you can see info on the hotspot, change the passwords, limit the number of connections and see what is connected. As with all hotspots if the signal is good you can stream.

The 4510L is the one I bought when I started the thread on them. It has a very limited display with just a antenna symbol and a battery indicator. You buy it with two months sevice, charge the battery and turn it on. The one odd thing about the 4510L is that it will only turn on if the power cord is off but then will run with it connected. It will not run without the battery.

I have also used a 4620 that cost a bit more. It has more buttons and a menu on the display that shows various info on the hotspot. It will start with the cord connected and actually does not have to have the battery in it to be used.

I am not up to all of the lingo of flashing but am told it is a loop hole created by a lawsuit. The info from a dumb phone account is flashed onto a hotspot. The phone account is $15 a month for calls and text and it has to have data even if the phone can't use it. Since the phone can not use it, it is not shut off when the account is suspended for non payment. In fact it stays on for 90 days past the day your account expires so you can keep using the hotspot data even if the calling and text is off. You have until that 90 days to make another $15 payment and bring the account up to date for another month plus 90 days. You will lose the account all together if you do not make $15 before the 90s is up and your unit will have to be reflashed to a new account.

So you can call in and make a $5 a month payment equaling $15 every 3 months OR as I do make a $15 payment on the 89th day of the grace period meaning I get 4 months for $15.

You can use prepaid cards or put a credit card on the account. I did that and making a payment takes a minute or so. There is no auto pay option.

Last thing is if you get a smart phone flashed you can use the calling and text features along with the data IF you make the $15 a month payment and keep it current. Pay it the normal way and the calling and text features will only work for the first month the account is up to date.

I apologize for not being more techy in my answer. All I can tell you is my 4510L has been running for quite a while now. It almost always has a usable connection except for some extremely remote locations in the Rockies where a mountain blocks the signal. It may not be my fastest device but it is dependable.

I've still got my Tracfone smart phone plan. I buy 2 months at a time for about 12.50 per. That comes with 500gb. Additional data is $10gb, which is perfect for my highly variable use. I'm definitely still watching the various other services, thanks.

ok, so semi related i think?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/03/cricket-wireless-adds-data-30mo-40mo-plans/

"Cricket Wireless, the MVNO owned by AT&T, tends to change its pricing tiers from time to time. Back in May, the company increased the amount of high-speed data on its $40/month plan from 3GB to 4GB. Starting November 5, new changes will go into affect for its $30/mo and $40/mo tiers.

The company's $30/mo tier will be increased from 1GB of data to 2GB, while the $40/mo plan will jump from 4GB to 5GB. Once customers go over the limit, the speed will drop to a painfully-slow 128Kbps. Both of those plans include unlimited calling and texting inside the United States.

Unfortunately, some of the carrier's add-ons are still not permitted with the the $30 and $40 plans. International service and tethering is still limited to the 8GB and Unlimited tiers."