Interesting Unlimited Data plan...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
Recently I came across an offering from AT&T that appeared to be an unlimited mobile hotspot called Mobley for only $20 per month. The device plugs into the vehicle's OBD port (on board diagnostic) and there are some vehicles it supposedly doesn't fit. I couldn't figure out exactly what the deal was, but filed it away for future research.  Mobley link.

Technomadia just put up a new video reviewing a similar offering, new from Verizon, called the HumX. What I learned from this is that a) the HumX doesn't do what we'd want, and b) the Mobley is for real and there's apparently OBD port hacks/workarounds available that make it useful to anybody.

Worth checking out and doing some more research:  Verizon HumX - Will it Provide Unlimited Data like the AT&T Mobley?

Brad

I have a post on the Mobley but let me say that the deal will be ending July 17th according to drivin and vibin on you tube.

jimindenver said:
Brad

I have a post on the Mobley but let me say that the deal will be ending July 17th according to drivin and vibin on you tube.
By "the deal will be ending", do you mean that the service will be closed to new sign ups? Or that people already on the plan are going to be kicked off, too?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I would think that the $20 for unlimited price point is going to change.

jimindenver said:
I would think that the $20 for unlimited price point is going to change.

Bummer :(

I just got my Mobley yesterday and activated it this morning.  Maybe I should have signed a two year contract :huh:  It is still just 22 Gb with a warning email when you hit 16 1/2 Gb.  Not sure if it is networked managed or automatically throttled.

I have ordered the remote power for mine.  It consists of the car part of the OBDii port and a 12v power plug.  The OBDii port only supplies power to it when the ignition is on, no other part of the OBDii port is used.

I got it mainly for going to Alaska and I am behind schedule :(  I planned to leave the 10th but still have an obligation to sort out before I leave.  Hopefully next Friday.  AT&T supposedly has the best service there but I hear Verizon is making inroads.  DW is NOT going with me  :( :(

I was told that the $20 was only applicable until July and that after that it goes up to $40/month. I was also told that the price was going up regardless of whether you had a contract or not. That the contract was only for the "free" mobley. I ordered mine under the contract from the ATT store so we'll see whether they up the price or not in July. I hope they won't but I figured either way ... $20 -- $27/mo with taxes was an outstanding price and $40 (probably closer to $50 with taxes) was about the most I'd pay. They said that it's due to be shipped the middle of June, so I'll believe it when I see it. When I see it's being shipped I'm going to order the obd2 extension cord from amazon (around $10) and make my own 12v adapter for it.

It's worth mentioning that another possibility is that the Mobley will soon be discontinued, in favor of a more Verizon-like product that won't allow the hacks and usage for "purposes not intended".

I certainly don't know, but that might be an argument in favor of picking up a Mobley even if not going to activate it right now...