Cast Iron, Aluminum, or stainless steel?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KroFlite wrote:

"I'm not sure where the idea that "all 'non stick' coatings these days have to be free of PTFE & PFOA so ceramic is the new standard." came from, but it's not the case."
------------------------------------
My bad. :blush:
Only has to be PFOA free.
Teflon made without the use of Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) is apparently still available.

But the hype and scare against Teflon has taken hold, so the new cheap ceramic non-sticks are indeed the new 'standard'....at least as far as advertising goes. When's the last time ya saw an ad for Teflon cookware on TV? :rolleyes:

It doesn’t natter to me what’s in the Copper Chef pans, all I care about is that they work so well. I’ve tried other ceramic coatings that worked badly so now that I’ve found one that works well, I’ll “stick” with it—so to speak.

waldenbound said:
How to clean real copper:
Salt and lemon juice, then scrub like the dickens. Wipe clean.

And therein lies the 'bugger' to keep shiny.  the method is easy to say - but requires considerably more effort to do.  Been there done that.  Would do it again if I could afford them.

akrvbob said:
so now that I’ve found one that works well, I’ll “stick” with it—so to speak.

Ha! Good one.  I will have to look into them.  They dont look expensive and if they are half as good as you say they may be well worth having.  A couple judiciously selected to keep down the number of items I have and weight would be a worth while addition for cooking.

There may be different grades of these. Mine started sticking in about the same length of time as the green ceramic ones did. I was bummed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a small amount of cookware in the van, but there is at least one piece each of cast iron, aluminum, and steel (carbon).

akrvbob said:
Nothing sticks to the copper and they are as perfectly clean as the day she bought them a year ago.

http://amzn.to/2j9WJ0Z
If that's the same pan I think it is, a friend bought one for his wife at Walmart, and she loves it! She was showing me how easy it cleans up, has a life time warranty against scratching, peeling, warping, or whatever. I looked closely at it, and it appeared to be some sort of copper colored ceramic.

Different grades of the "Copper" cookware is right. Bob's link is to the Copper Chef brand.

1. Copper Chef- made of aluminum, ceramic interior, stainless steel induction base.
2. Classic Cuisine- made of aluminum, ceramic interior, stainless steel induction base.
3. The Original Copper Pan- made of aluminum, ceramic interior.
4. Red Copper (as seen on tv)- made of aluminum, ceramic interior.
5. Other brands

I use cast iron and stainless steel for cooking.  I have a cast iron skillet for sauteing, frying, and stove top baking.  I also use a stainless steel pressure cooker for pressuring, steaming, and boiling water.   I just recently got a Stansport Stainless steel cook set, and I am really impressed with its quality for a stackable cookset.   They have nice heavy bottoms.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HK50IU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got rid of the aluminum that my parents used for camping and replaced them with Revere Ware copper bottomed stainless steel. Because....

It is a proven fact that exposed metal cookware leaches in to the food you cook in them. With cast iron and stainless steel, it's okay, as our bodies use iron. Our bodies do not use aluminum. Furthermore, studies have shown links to Alzheimer's, and recent one tend to confirm earlier ones. Technically, it is too early to come to a conclusion. But i'd rather be safe than sorry.

I got my SS at thrift stores, Goodwill, mostly. I get them for $3 to $6 a pan, usually somewhat nasty, take it home and clean it with Barkeepers Friend, and have a decent set that looks like the set we got on our wedding day, 38 years ago. The stuff just holds up. I like cast iron, but I will not lug it out camping. That, and I camp in a large group, and one time, someone volunteered to cook scrambled eggs, and didn't know how to use it properly, and I ended up having to strip the seasoning off and re-season.

Stanvan said:
I just got rid of the aluminum that my parents used for camping and replaced them with Revere Ware copper bottomed stainless steel. Because....

It is a proven fact that exposed metal cookware leaches in to the food you cook in them.  With cast iron and stainless steel, it's okay, as our bodies use iron. Our bodies do not use aluminum.  Furthermore, studies have shown links to Alzheimer's, and recent one tend to confirm earlier ones. 

^^ These are the reasons I shy away from aluminum cookware. ^^
 Years ago I stumbled across a complete set of Revere ware new in the box for like $40. Yeah, they came home with me. I do like cast iron too. Hard to beat.
I also found a Revere perk coffee pot. It too is stainless steel with a copper clad bottom.   :cool:

I've read several studies recently that say cooking with cast iron or real copper on a daily basis can result in too much of these metals in a person's bloodstream. In the case of copper, the effects can be dangerous and too much iron can wreak havoc on your organs. Using cast iron once a week would probably not harm anyone, though.

Stainless steel will also leach small amounts of nickel and chromium, but unless a person has a particular sensitivity to these metals, daily cooking with stainless steel doesn't appear to pose any long term health risks.

TinaTomato said:
I've read several studies recently that say cooking with cast iron or real copper on a daily basis can result in too much of these metals in a person's bloodstream. In the case of copper, the effects can be dangerous and too much iron can wreak havoc on your organs. Using cast iron once a week would probably not harm anyone, though.

Stainless steel will also leach small amounts of nickel and chromium, but unless a person has a particular sensitivity to these metals, daily cooking with stainless steel doesn't appear to pose any long term health risks.

Hi Tina - could you please point me at these studies that indicate cast iron is hazardous.  I spent the last hour looking online and cant find ANY studies anywhere that cite anything like that.  I would love to read these studies.

You are 100% on spot with the copper - that is why all that fancy copper you see in those high end kitchen is coated on the inside with stainless steel.

We all have a need for iron in fact if you put a magnet in a bowl of cereal you we be surprised.... It goes back to are simpalalistic from on the product scale we are part is planet and part of his planet and keeping us warm healthy and educated is iron and copper more so iron thin copper

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

From TNTTT, thought pretty funny:

Socal Tom said:
There was a thread a while back on Expo. “You know you're an Overlander when...”

My favorite was

“When you carry cast iron pots and titanium spoons”!

We use cast iron and also some stainless left over from the backpacking days. Three fry pans and a Dutch Oven all nicely seasoned for flavor, ease of use & safety, while the stainless has all the battle scars of decades of use.

Cast iron will leech iron into your food but for most it's not an issue.
I'm someone who has a high iron level. I'm on the high end of normal so the only time I concern myself with it is when I donate (sell) blood plasma for a few extra bucks now and then.
If my hematocrits (iron and hydration levels) are too high I can't donate.
I'll drink a gallon or more of water and avoid high iron foods in the 24 hrs leading up to donation and my 'crits will still be borderline.
People with even higher iron content than me are usually advised to take steps to lower it to prevent some pretty severe problems
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hemochromatosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20351443

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

But I do love my cast iron skillet, I just need to keep an eye on its condition when I don't use it for a while. Humidity quickly takes a toll on it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk