Carla's Camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your travel trailer has a built in converter and three stage battery charger.

YES that's a Lead acid battery........just like a normal car battery

Under the strap handle are two snap on covers........use a screw driver to lift the covers

THEN fill the holes with DISTILLED water to the Bottom of the split tubes..................reinstall the covers

YES that's a Lead acid battery........just like a normal car battery

Under the strap handle are two snap on covers........use a screw driver to lift the covers

THEN fill the holes with DISTILLED water to the Bottom of the split tubes..................reinstall the covers
Thanks. Hope I'm not too late. The video said once a month I should add water... maybe check it once a month? Ugh.

Carla you need to find yourself a local person who owns an RV to do a hands on walk through with you. This remote learning stuff can be way too overwhelming for a newbie. I did not learn what I know now in just a few weeks. Not that many years ago I did not know what a converter was or an inverter either. But if you want to know about battery types just find an RV store or even an auto parts store, go inside and ask questions about battery types and what maitenace they need. They can also teach you stuff about inverters. Marine supply store are a good place to also learn about batteries and what a “deep cycle” battery means. RV supply stores are an excellent place to learn about converters how they work, what they do and you can even see them during the discussion. It is OK to show up at stores knowing very little and admit that you do not know a lot. Just don’t put any money on the counter before you truly understand what you need to buy. Just say, I need to think about this some more first and do some more reading so I really connect all the dots for what I need to buy.

Carla you need to find yourself a local person who owns an RV to do a hands on walk through with you. This remote learning stuff can be way too overwhelming for a newbie. I did not learn what I know now in just a few weeks. Not that many years ago I did not know what a converter was or an inverter either. But if you want to know about battery types just find an RV store or even an auto parts store, go inside and ask questions about battery types and what maitenace they need. They can also teach you stuff about inverters. Marine supply store are a good place to also learn about batteries and what a “deep cycle” battery means. RV supply stores are an excellent place to learn about converters how they work, what they do and you can even see them during the discussion. It is OK to show up at stores knowing very little and admit that you do not know a lot. Just don’t put any money on the counter before you truly understand what you need to buy. Just say, I need to think about this some more first and do some more reading so I really connect all the dots for what I need to buy.
Thanks. Good advice. Once I am living on the road, I will learn much more and faster. None of my friends camp and my kids all tent camp, so few to ask. The Tuesday night chat group has been great for questions. I missed the 'water in battery' question, tho.

I'll speed up with the RV University videos. I just hate learning batteries and anything to do with electrical. It is nearly impossible to focus... like I have a block against learning it:(

Last edited:
Thanks. Good advice. Once I am living on the road, I will learn much more and faster. None of my friends camp and my kids all tent camp, so few to ask. The Tuesday night chat group has been great for questions. I missed the 'water in battery' question, tho.

I'll speed up with the RV University videos. I just hate learning batteries and anything to do with electrical. It is nearly impossible to focus... like I have a block against learning it:(
So I take it that you are familiar with that emotional feeling of “if I have to learn one more new thing to do myself I am just going to scream!”? I know that feeling all too well.

Sure you have a mental block against it. It is called fear of failure. Our brain signals a self defense reaction … if you don’t try you can’t fail. Hence the blockage. It just means you are perfectly normal. Those silly people who just can’t get enough of tinkerIng with stuff are the abnormal ones.

Last edited:
I want to add a little to the battery maintenance issue. It's not hard at all, and after a few seasons, you'll fall into a comfortable schedule. You'll see that a pattern emerges based on how much water the batteries require and the time between checks. With the caps removed you'll see the vertical plates in the battery that must be covered with liquid. I go at it like I will need to water batteries and not just check them. I gather safety glasses, wide flat screwdriver, distilled water, funnel, and flashlight. That way you won't have to remove yourself to get something, and you often get the pleasant sensation that you only need to put the caps back on and put the stuff away! Whenever it's time to replace the batteries, I recommend AGM batteries because they eliminate this particular maintenance.

I want to add a little to the battery maintenance issue. It's not hard at all, and after a few seasons, you'll fall into a comfortable schedule. You'll see that a pattern emerges based on how much water the batteries require and the time between checks. With the caps removed you'll see the vertical plates in the battery that must be covered with liquid. I go at it like I will need to water batteries and not just check them. I gather safety glasses, wide flat screwdriver, distilled water, funnel, and flashlight. That way you won't have to remove yourself to get something, and you often get the pleasant sensation that you only need to put the caps back on and put the stuff away! Whenever it's time to replace the batteries, I recommend AGM batteries because they eliminate this particular maintenance.
Thank you, minanimal:)

Thank you, minanimal:)
What he said. AGM batteries are sealed, so no maintenance, except make sure the terminals don't get
corroded. They rarely do, but check twice a year. Do you know how old your battery is? Your battery is so key
to this lifestyle, definitely find out about charge controllers, voltage when battery is full, etc. I assume you have a
solar panel or are planning on it. Are you planning to travel much this year with the trailer? Winter where it's
warmer, for example.

FYI, when it comes to buying an AGM, DO NOT buy a battery that has "marine" written on the case. They are
hybrids and you want just a pure "deep cycle". There are some great resources out there just a phone call
away. I have used AM SOLAR in Oregon a few times for products and the techs are always helpful with any
kind of question. Hope this is helpful.

This forum has lots of people giving out DO NOT do something warnings. Sometimes those warnings are important, sometimes they are simply a bit excessively stated. A lithium battery is a good purchase, A True deep cycle battery is a good purchase a “hybrid Marine battery also works. A car starter battery works, if that is all you can afford, and people can and do use them, but is the least desirable choice for a house battery. So instead of saying DO NOT just give them a ranking order of what works best and will give the best value for the dollars spent.

I personally am using a 160 AH hybrid Marine AGM battery. Year 4 and it is still going strong and meeting my full time Nomadic lifestyle needs. I have never had any issues with it and I have no corrosion on the terminals. These batteries have been used for years by full time liveaboard folks as their house batteries. But someone who lives in a van and has never lived in a boat probably does not realize that it is not at all unusual to use them as a house battery. When I purchased it la 100AH lithium battery cost about 1K. My Marine battery was a vastly better bargain and it has given me flawless performance. I will keep right on using it until it needs replacement …or I win a big lottery payout 🤣

Last edited:
What he said. AGM batteries are sealed, so no maintenance, except make sure the terminals don't get
corroded. They rarely do, but check twice a year. Do you know how old your battery is? Your battery is so key
to this lifestyle, definitely find out about charge controllers, voltage when battery is full, etc. I assume you have a
solar panel or are planning on it. Are you planning to travel much this year with the trailer? Winter where it's
warmer, for example.

FYI, when it comes to buying an AGM, DO NOT buy a battery that has "marine" written on the case. They are
hybrids and you want just a pure "deep cycle". There are some great resources out there just a phone call
away. I have used AM SOLAR in Oregon a few times for products and the techs are always helpful with any
kind of question. Hope this is helpful.
Thanks Dan. No idea how old it is.

This forum has lots of people giving out DO NOT do something warnings. Sometimes those warnings are important, sometimes they are simply a bit excessively stated. A lithium battery is a good purchase, A True deep cycle battery is a good purchase a “hybrid Marine battery also works. A car starter battery works, if that is all you can afford, and people can and do use them, but is the least desirable choice for a house battery. So instead of saying DO NOT just give them a ranking order of what works best and will give the best value for the dollars spent.

I personally am using a 160 AH hybrid Marine AGM battery. Year 4 and it is still going strong and meeting my full time Nomadic lifestyle needs. I have never had any issues with it and I have no corrosion on the terminals. These batteries have been used for years by full time liveaboard folks as their house batteries. But someone who lives in a van and has never lived in a boat probably does not realize that it is not at all unusual to use them as a house battery. When I purchased it la 100AH lithium battery cost about 1K. My Marine battery was a vastly better bargain and it has given me flawless performance. I will keep right on using it until it needs replacement …or I win a big lottery payout 🤣
Thanks Maki. I'll check out all options when the time comes:)

Good comment. Thanks for taking the time.

This forum has lots of people giving out DO NOT... bit excessively...I personally am...
DO NOT listen to anybody except me.
Personally.
And anybody offering a bit, a chew, a noshing on, or anything involving teeth excessively, go for it!
But if they take the extra step, if they spit out their store-boughts and offer you a good gumming, I strongly suggest video.
Heck, I'd sell tickets to that...
[note to moderators:
I tried to make sure this post is *NOT* political, but sometimes, these things slip by.
For the record, I think Glorious Leader resident is doing a fine fine splendid job.]