Cargo Van vs Pick Up with Cargo Trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with that My tt is small and all aluminum, but costly 6k to be exact and it's a 1988. I will be replacing the bed and possibly the refer. That being said it is an easy pull and very comfy with big windows for all that view. If I had to do it again I would get a CT and just add the features I wanted with a smaller unit.

After hearing Bob's logic it struck me: (and this would be MY plans) : have a fully outfitted van in which you roam the world from May-ish thru October-ish. For the winter I'd have my van plus a cargo trailer (like Bob's) that is stored in Quartzite and just put into use over the winter. Depending upon storage fees in the Q'zite area (anyone got an idea ?) it could be the best of both worlds..........................in theory.
KinA

Ken in Anaheim said:
After hearing Bob's logic it struck me: (and this would be MY plans) : have a fully outfitted van in which you roam the world from May-ish thru October-ish. For the winter I'd have my van plus a cargo trailer (like Bob's) that is stored in Quartzite and just put into use over the winter. Depending upon storage fees in the Q'zite area (anyone got an idea ?) it could be the best of both worlds..........................in theory.
KinA

Greetings!

I'm a little lost in the logic of this, if you have a high top window van, you can choose to use the windows or not, you have the headroom, and I see no advantage in having a trailer. If you're comfy in the van in the summer, and it is properly outfitted, why wouldn't you be just as comfy in the van in the winter?

Now for the OP, if he likes his truck, then a trailer might make sense, but to have both a camper van and a trailer defies logic to me. If you want a van, get a high top and forget the trailer. You're not saving any driving with the trailer, and you can have a bike or scooter on your van if you want one.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

Good evening everyone! Thank you for all your replies. I'm going with the cargo trailer. My tow vehicle is a Ford F150 4x4, and I've also added a topper for additional storage. My choice to go with the cargo trailer is because I can build it as I like. If I decide to go for a long trip during the summer I will just use my truck with topper and store the trailer. It's amazing all you can put into 72sqft. I really like my set up, and I could not have done it without you guys. Just need to add my solar and I will be set. Waiting to get to AZ for that. Around KY we don't have a lot of places here that know how to do what I want. Again thanks everyone for all your help. Bob your amazing, and I can't wait to see ya on the road. Safe travels to Alaska!

COST OF STORING CARGO TRAILER:

I haven't stored my trailer in Quartzsite but I stored it in Flagstaff last year for $35 month and I will do it again next month. I'm leaving the van in storage in Ogden, Ut and a 13 foot by 25 foot space will cost me $32. The cheapest I've seen is $25 a month in Pahrump, NV,
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2Wolves, I lived in a F150 4x4 for almost 3 years and I loved the freedom and flexibility it gave me! More than once I went down roads that that I was praying the whole way that if god would get me out of their safely and with the camper still on the truck I'd never do anything that stupid again! It was a short-bed so I only had a 7 x 6 foot space. I had a high top shell and loved living in it! But I got tired of having the minimum space and comfort so I added the trailer. I think it is a great combination!!
Bob

Bob,
That was 252 cubic feet for your truck camper. Was it a Capri? You realize you will have a lot less cubic feet for 2 people and an 80# dog to Alaska, right?

Enjoy "over there" because Maryland rates to store an RV are no less than $150-185/mo.

Belinda, I'm not a fan of using cubic feet as a measurement because it includes a lot of wasted upper space. The camper had 42 sq ft and the van has 60 sq ft, making it much more livable for two than the truck camper.

It was a home-built shell (not slide-in) I made myself.

Wow, that's a lot of money for RV storage! I wonder if they are charging because it is an "RV"? Maybe try calling a place and tell them you have a 20 foot van you need to store. Maybe it would be less?
Bob

Wow Bob,
Your truck camper looked SO good with the back door awning, I thought for sure it was bought for at least the shell. Great job!
Oh no, that's current standard storage fees here. I use my camper everyday now and have only paid for storage once in the last 9 years. When I am home, I still live in it and I rent my house out! It drives me crazy how high profile it is. I'm searching night and day on ways to make it more stealth. I may put it in a Uhaul type trailer. I may sell it. Capri campers will modify it for me. I may have to get help from somewhere--the roof is a 3 man job to handle the weight. It may not be worth the effort. It's quite an expensive camper and I could sell it and get a Uhaul type trailer and be way ahead cash wise. I am hoping I can just scale down to a minivan....it will be tight, but by then my old dog will have passed away.

Latest posts