cargo trailer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArtW said:
I bought my first Travel trailer off thrifty nickel for $600
I bought my current one new
Neither one has the best layout, with far more storage than I need, and overhead cabinets in the way
A cargo I could have set up to my own needs / taste

Because we live fulltime in our rig -- and lived in it for five months before I retired (while we still had j-o-b-s and options), we had to have something that was liveable right away. I can't imagine anything which depreciates faster than a new RV. Their value will plummet 25 to 40% once it leaves the lot and five years later will only be worth HALF of what it sold for new. Our house was nearly 20 years old when we bought it -- at a fraction of what it sold for new. We saw a fancy *used* fifth wheel the other day for $49,000 dollars. I asked my wife, "Think it's 12 times better than our house?" Not likely.
==========
Because of this, I find used RVs -- especially trailers -- to be an incredible bargain. The running gear is so simple that beyond electric brakes there is very little to wear out or ever go wrong. We repack our wheel bearings (both axles) once a year for peace of mind (cheap insurance) and it gives me a good chance to see how our brakes are doing. Believe it or not, some of the most highly paid interior designers work in the RV industry because the expense of their salary can be amortized over thousands of units instead of a relative handful of custom-built homes.
==========
So it would be a LOT easier (and likely cheaper too) to modify an existing interior on a used travel trailer or fifth wheel *and* have something to live in already while you're doing the work. That's one of the many things we really like about our '94 Coachmen Maxxum is that the floor is up high -- there are no fender wells inside the house *and* it's so wide open . . . *not* the usual deal where every spare square inch is built-in storage. Our table was a free-standing oak affair with two drop leaves that we never used. So, after our first year, we donated it  :) We kept the two oak upholstered chairs because that is what we put our feet on while sitting on the sofa. In our case, we use our largest storage place to stash our two catarafts and our 2nd largest storage place is the Kittie Kondo where our two large cats live so we could use a little more storage. We have a full-length (6'8") queen-size bed but the mattress just sits on the box spring on the floor. This spring I plan to remove the box spring and build a 4' x 6' storage enclosure with gas shocks for the lid. That will give us a place to store some shstuff out of sight that we don't use all that often.
==========
sail4free
==========

Jim

I think someone may look at each of us and ask somewhat of a similar question but rather word it as "why would someone buy a trailer and then modify it, why not buy what you wanted in the first place?"

I bought my trailer new 6 years ago and have modified it greatly to handle boondocking in the rockies at 10,000 ft or so. To me off road starts when you drop the truck into 4x4 low to crawl over rocks and when it comes to solar, I have a wee bit of that too. So like people building out vans and cargo trailers, I had to modify mine because no one makes one like it.

jimindenver said:
Jim

I think someone may look at each of us and ask somewhat of a similar question but rather word it as "why would someone buy a trailer and then modify it, why not buy what you wanted in the first place?"

I bought my trailer new 6 years ago and have modified it greatly to handle boondocking in the rockies at 10,000 ft or so. To me off road starts when you drop the truck into 4x4 low to crawl over rocks and when it comes to solar, I have a wee bit of that too. So like people building out vans and cargo trailers, I had to modify mine because no one makes one like it.

I'm actually staying in a 5th wheel now, while I work on my cargo trailer.  It's very comfortable, and has all of the amenities I had in my apartment.  But I would absolutely NOT want to take this on the road.  Thanks (JIM PETERSON)  for bringing this up, because you've solidified my resolve to stick with my cargo trailer.  For the first 2 or 3 weeks at this years RTR, all I had was a bed to sleep in.  Jimindenver helped me get my solar set up.  Now I have that.  I'm absolutely enjoying customizing it to MY needs and desires, and not bothering with a microwave or satellite TV.   I still don't have heat, and am in no hurry to put it in.  

Some people choose to go simpler.  I'm glad I did. 

Pat

jimindenver said:
Jim

==========
I get that -- we are serious off roaders too. Consider this review we wrote for campendium.com :
https://www.campendium.com/ferguson-lake

I doubt that many can claim towing their 33' fifth wheel to such a place. Our 7.3 diesel engine and low-range 4WD made all the difference in the world. Since that review, we've actually weighed our rig and it's closer to 13,000 pounds = much more than I thought at the time. Low RPM diesel torque and low-range 4WD is truly a force to be reckoned with. We learned we can idle up and down the steepest of grades and not even use our brakes (rig *or* truck) at all! Truly amazing. When we consider how many RV builders there are in the industry, it is somewhat incredulous that NONE of them build a single unit optimized for living offgrid. Of all the offerings out there, toy haulers come the closest with larger water tanks and larger waste water tanks . . . some of them offer 30 gallons(!) of propane -- even an onboard filling station (to safely haul extra gas for the toys) but still none of them come with factory solar, extra deep-draw batteries, charge controllers, etc. -- all the good stuff has to be added later. That said, I wouldn't buy a new rig even if it *was* optimized for off grid and off road -- mostly because their value sinks quicker than a stone.
==========
We have added 420 watts of solar to our rig and paid to have the axles put *under* the trailer springs as our 2000 F350 came with custom wheels and 18" tires and is about 2" higher than the 1999 F250 gas truck (*not* 4WD) that we had before. We dragged the back end of our new-to-us fifth wheel TWICE just getting it home and we knew that would never work. Since moving the axles under the springs, we've come close but have not dragged anything yet as far as we know. :)
==========
I think it should be easy to find an older trailer (bumper pull or fifth wheel though fifth wheels tow at least five times better IMHO) that meets 80 or even 90% of what one is looking for and then make a few modifications to personalize it and make it exactly what *you* want. That is a MUCH easier/cheaper undertaking than building up a shell from scratch. Plus you can do a small bit of it at a time -- on the highly recommended "pay as you go" plan -- and STILL have a comfortable place to sleep, eat, relax, watch TV -- maybe even take a shower -- all the while.
==========
sail4free
==========

JIM PETERSON said:
==========
I think it should be easy to find an older trailer (bumper pull or fifth wheel though fifth wheels tow at least five times better IMHO) that meets 80 or even 90% of what one is looking for and then make a few modifications to personalize it and make it exactly what *you* want. That is a MUCH easier/cheaper undertaking than building up a shell from scratch. Plus you can do a small bit of it at a time -- on the highly recommended "pay as you go" plan -- and STILL have a comfortable place to sleep, eat, relax, watch TV -- maybe even take a shower -- all the while.
==========
sail4free
==========

One funny note:  I almost apologized to the OP for high-jacking their thread.  Then I realized that *I* am the OP! 
:D

Without sounding too insulting, if that's possible, not all of us WANT a big rig.  Jimindenver's rig is just at the top end of comfort for me (and both of my dogs love hanging out at Uncle Jim's travel trailer, and playing with his dog Max).   For me, I just started this adventure in Jan ... this years RTR was the real beginning.  So, I started at point zero and have been learning everything since.  I actually would not want a more comfortable rig.  I feel like right now, I'm one step above car camping.  I want to do more backpacking.  At the RTR, there was a lady , Tamra, who did some presentations about survival skills.  She built a fire with a wood drill (?) ... that was the most impressive stuff to me.  And the direction I wish to go.  I have a job as a campground host at a Natl. Forest campground for this summer... I explicitly chose a campground that has no hookups at all.  While there, I will work on honing my survival skills.  As well as work on archery and possibly learn fly-fishing. 

So, one of the big philosophies of this tribe, it seems to me, is "to each his own".  And let us all respect those who have different perspectives.   So, I will respect your desire for your priorities, and I hope you will respect mine. 

Regards,

Pat

Pat - exactly! It's one thing to be curious why someone else chooses what they do, quite another to be insistent that your way of doing it is the correct one.

Just everyone knows, my trailer is literally a bottom feeder when it comes to luxury , features and cost. No slides, big fridge, power anything like antenna or awning. The tanks are just big enough to handle the normal 2 weeks expected in the types of spots we use. The insulation is barely enough to handle the sub freezing and blistering hot situations I put it in. It is nothing that would impress anyone.

What it is, like the cargo trailers and vans are for some is a good platform for me to modify to my needs. Removing the roof A/C that I rarely need left room for 750 watts of solar. Low weight and a good frame gives a 3000 pound cargo capacity and believe me, I use every bit of it. A narrow body that's not as tall as the norm means I can get through holes others can't. Flipping the axles has it sitting two feet above ground, needed for what I call off road. It's not impressive, what it can do for me is.

To me it is the great diversity of what and how we as a group do things that is wonderful. What is important to me means nothing to someone else. I may not see the value in what they do but I am interested in knowing what it is and learning why.

jimindenver said:
Just everyone knows, my trailer is literally a bottom feeder when it comes to luxury , features and cost. No slides, big fridge, power anything like antenna or awning. The tanks are just big enough to handle the normal 2 weeks expected in the types of spots we use. The insulation is barely enough to handle the sub freezing and blistering hot situations I put it in.  It is nothing that would impress anyone.

What it is, like the cargo trailers and vans are for some is a good platform for me to modify to my needs. Removing the roof A/C that I rarely need left room for 750 watts of solar. Low weight and a good frame gives a 3000 pound cargo capacity and believe me, I use every bit of it. A narrow body that's not as tall as the norm means I can get through holes others can't. Flipping the axles has it sitting two feet above ground, needed for what I call off road. It's not impressive, what it can do for me is.

To me it is the great diversity of what and how we as a group do things that is wonderful. What is important to me means nothing to someone else. I may not see the value in what they do but I am interested in knowing what it is and learning why.
==========
I had a certifiably crazy GF once (no reflection on her camping choices) and it only took me about 3 years to figure out that one way you can know if you're in the presence of someone truly crazy is that after a while, you begin to think that *you* are the crazy one and they're normal. :)
At the time, my RV of choice was an older Jeep Cherokee. I had removed the back seat and built a flat platform inside -- along with a hinge-up extension which was as big as I could make it and still fold up and lean in enough that I could close the hatch door. (I'm a carpenter by trade so it was purely enjoyable work.) When lowered down (with the hatch up) it was a perfect table height and I could sit there in my camping chair and enjoy breakfast.
==========
So were off to some three-day Christian music extravaganza in The Gorge (me coming from Idaho; her from her home in Montana) and I decided to gear up a bit. Bought a nice big cooler, two padded camp chairs with little hinge-up tables on one side, a big heavy-duty tarp, new sheets with matching pillow covers even! I got there early, raised the hatch, and used the tarp to construct this crude tent kinda' thing; got everything set up just so -- made the bed perfectly, etc. All the neighbors in the campground kept remarking about how dang cool my setup was. And then the GF shows up. Apparently her (completely uncommunicated) intent for the weekend was a minimalist, bare-bones approach, sleeping outside, living on nothing but the "spirit" and maybe some water for three days. She had brought a tiny cooler and nothing else. I took it all down and we drove to a noisy truck stop nearby to spend the night. Because she only brought her small car, she made a major concession and actually slept in the comfy bed with the hatch wide open (no tarp this time) . . . complaining the whole time. The next morning she hopped in her car and I hopped in my rig and drove away -- never looked back. So I get it -- different strokes for different folks -- no judgment here as long as one is happy and FREE. :)

==========
sail4free
==========

I need a bit more space due to being in a wheelchair so a trailer fits my needs better than a van or I would have a van. My trailer has a 4" drop axle made by Dexter and is a 7x12 v-nose with electric drum breaks. I have lived in it for a little over a year now and am still building the interior. The reason I got the 7' wide version is so that my bed goes across it giving me better use of space. I pull this with a 1997 Ford Crown Victoria (with rear suspension modifications). I am curious as to what kind of access I will be able to obtain in Colorado to BLM land, I was hoping some of you could give me a few pointers on where in northern Colorado would be a good spot? I will be leaving Illinois after the end of April to go to the Fort Collins area. Be aware that the rear tires are LT tires with a good off-road tread.

Crave said:
I need a bit more space due to being in a wheelchair so a trailer fits my needs better than a van or I would have a van. My trailer has a 4" drop axle made by Dexter and is a 7x12 v-nose with electric drum breaks. I have lived in it for a little over a year now and am still building the interior. The reason I got the 7' wide version is so that my bed goes across it giving me better use of space. I pull this with a 1997 Ford Crown Victoria (with rear suspension modifications). I am curious as to what kind of access I will be able to obtain in Colorado to BLM land, I was hoping some of you could give me a few pointers on where in northern Colorado would be a good spot? I will be leaving Illinois after the end of April to go to the Fort Collins area. Be aware that the rear tires are LT tires with a good off-road trea
I've been looking at freecampsites.net lately.  Even though I've lived in Co Springs for 20 years, I've found one or 2 places I didn't know about or had forgotten.  There are quite a few that are no rougher than the roads around Quartzsite, AZ.  The big problem is that EVERYBODY , it seems, leaves Denver, Boulder, Co Springs and Ft Collins on the weekends and goes camping.  And there are a lot of places easily accessible via I70 and US 285...
Something to consider is to find a place you like on a Tuesday , for example, and then claim it for 2 weeks. 
there's a lot of National Forest land in Central Colorado.  BLM tends to be farther west, say around Lake City and Gunnison. 
Hope this helps,
Pat

I just found this website for Plain Ol Trailers in Southern Georgia for anyone in the southeast. They say USA Made Lippert Drop Leaf Spring Axles. Lots of options too. 7x12 V Nose single Axle $2280 or 7x12 V Nose tandem Axle $2880
http://plainoltrailers.com/

One thing I dislike about cargo trailers is a 7ft wide box is actually 8.5ft wheel to wheel. Then I noticed one trailer company offering 6ft wide axles on a 7ft trailer for $250. You can either do wheel well boxed inside or a deck over option. Interesting. The deck over would give a lot more ground clearance.

pnolans that is indeed helpful and can see how that info will save me a lot of issues, thanks.

Vagari I looked briefly at that link and noticed that they use particle board for the walls which I would not for health and other reasons. My main concern is the frame, axle and brakes, which they do not say much about. On the positive side they do tell you a lot of other stuff. If I were going to buy another trailer I would be interested in talking specs with them for sure.

Vagari I want my wheels as far apart as possible as when you are on the interstate it will handle better, also when parked it will sway less in storms (less sea sick).

Only the budget trailers have OSB walls. The middle priced unit has plywood. They have three options for wheels. Outside of cargo box , under deck and then wheel well boxed inside which is how most travel trailers are designed. My concern was a 7ft wide enclosed trailer with outside wheel wells is actually 8.5ft wide. That seems pretty wide. Most travel trailers I've pulled are 7.5-8ft wide

vagari said:
I just found this website for Plain Ol Trailers in Southern Georgia for anyone in the southeast. They say USA Made Lippert Drop Leaf Spring Axles. Lots of options too.  7x12 V Nose single Axle $2280 or 7x12 V Nose tandem Axle $2880
http://plainoltrailers.com/

Lippert Axles have a reputation for poor welds.  And the NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration) has several recalls listed against Lippert for bad welds.  There are more than a few people on forums that have lost their entire wheel assembly while driving down the highway on Lippert axles.  Just an FYI.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM488591/RCONL-15V588-7221.pdf

https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/download/recall/15V359_Dealer_Centeral_Recall_Notice.PDF

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2015/RCRIT-15V212-5169.pdf

akrvbob said:
Here's one of the consistent problems with this forum, perfection becomes the mortal enemy of good enough.

After 4 months I'm finally catching up with this thread. At this point with Bob's comment, I was 3 days away from breaking my shoulder so badly I had to have replacement surgery. So I never came back to the thread. I'm glad I did. And I'm VERY thankful for this comment, Bob. This is what happens: I come upon something that will work for me and so many caveats are thrown in that I get caught up wanting perfection when good enough will suffice. I'll still do my research and get the best I can afford but I'm going to stop sweating it and second-guessing it. 

I don't want a used TT with the stuff I don't want in it and I can't find the right layout for me. I want more room than a van. I need to stand. I want to set up camp and take my 4x4 to go exploring. 

I'm gathering info and reading everything I can but in the end I'll have to let go of checking all the boxes and just make sure the most important ones are checked.

johnny b said:

A bit off topic……..Weatherman’s calling for a big Nor’Easter to hit us tomorrow night into Tuesday…6 to 10 inches for DC, more for north of us. I guess New England will get hammered again…they’ve had a fairly ‘normal’ winter while DC has been very mild to the point of an early bloom forecast for the cherry blossoms…ooops!  :blush:

Yep, this was what did me in back in March. Snow then freezing rving resulting in ice mounds, one of which destroyed my shoulder. It's kind of weird reading through this thread and wishing the future me could go back and tell me not to go outside on March 15, 2017!

mothercoder said:
 It's kind of weird reading through this thread and wishing the future me could go back and tell me not to go outside on March 15, 2017!

All you need is a flux capacitor.

;)