Cargo carrier on HRV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gourdgirl

Reaction score
Towing is not recommended for my HRV but I'm wondering if a cargo carrier or a small enclosed trailer similar to one towed by motorcycles would be okay.  Something which would give me some additional storage but not too stressful on my engine and easy to move out of the way to reach the back of the HRV.  Any recommendations?

If you stay under the rated towing capacity, you would be OK as long as the proper maintenance is kept up.

Small cargo trailers and many teardrops would be pretty light when empty but you'd have to be careful not to load in too much stuff.

Foamies come to mind. Very lightweight.

In the United States people tend to drive way too fast when towing a trailer.  What you can safely do at 45 MPH is not the same at 70 MPH.  The car makers know that and the recommendation not to tow with that particular car is based on what most people do, drive too fast. 

Roof top carriers are better for light bulky things.  Water jugs and batteries would be better carried much lower.  Trailer hitch receiver mounted bins also are better for lighter things.  Water jugs and batteries are better carried between the axles.  Pay attention to the vehicle load rating.  An extra box of corn flakes and out of season clothing will do well in an external bin.

I plan on making the back of the HRV my sleeping area and getting an SUV tent for some relatively bug-free outdoor living space. So whatever I hitch to my car has to be easily removed so I can attach the tent. I do have a hobby and I want to take those supplies with me. For the most part, the hobby supplies are light weight but can be a little bulky (i.e. gourds). I'm not sure I need a 4x6 cargo carrier and I do worry that it would be too hard on my 4cyl transmission. I'm thinking more along the lines of a low profile but fully enclosed cargo carrier. I've towed before (not with this vehicle) and feel comfortable with that. Maybe something like this. https://www.alumaklm.com/enclosed-trailers/single-axle/ae46-all-purpose-enclosed-trailer

I am confused at first you said towing with your vehicle is not recommended then a few post later you said the tow weight rating was 1,000 pounds.

it's not just your engine you need to worry about it's your whole vehicle. axles, brakes, suspension, tires, transmission. that trailer doesn't even have brakes. I am highly suspicious of the 450 pound weight. that's no doubt without a spare.

how much does your vehicle weigh now fully loaded and what is the GVWR(Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). if we know this we can give much better advice and not be guessing what is safe and what isn't.

highdesertranger

A cargo box on top makes way more sense for storage than pulling a very small trailer. Avoids extra cost for tires, hitch, extra wear on the brakes, etc. If you needed a place to sleep then a trailer would be more sensible. But just for storage it is good to be limited to a cargo box up top as you wont be tempted to tow more than your should.

Trebor English said:
In the United States people tend to drive way too fast when towing a trailer.  What you can safely do at 45 MPH is not the same at 70 MPH.  The car makers know that and the recommendation not to tow with that particular car is based on what most people do, drive too fast. 

This is probably the closest we will know to the truth. That car is sold with towing specs in other countries. American driving culture is not about safety, respect, or responsibility, and this is one of the results in my opinion. What you do about it is, ultimately, your decision, but comparing a US-spec vehicle to another country-spec vehicle may not be apples to apples.

highest_vision said:
This is probably the closest we will know to the truth. That car is sold with towing specs in other countries. American driving culture is not about safety, respect, or responsibility, and this is one of the results in my opinion. What you do about it is, ultimately, your decision, but comparing a US-spec vehicle to another country-spec vehicle may not be apples to apples.
I was wondering why I was seeing towing specs for the car in other countries. Quite honestly, I think I will probably limit myself to a swing away cargo carrier.

maki2 said:
A cargo box on top makes way more sense for storage than pulling a very small trailer. Avoids extra cost for tires, hitch, extra wear on the brakes, etc. If you needed a place to sleep then a trailer would be more sensible. But just for storage it is good to be limited to a cargo box up top as you wont be tempted to tow more than your should.
My issue with a cargo box is accessibility. I have a bum arm so reaching above my head is difficult. I think for my purposes, a swing away cargo carrier might be the best option. It will place a limit on how much I carry and I can still utilize an SUV tent and use the back of the HRV for sleeping.