Cargo Box/solar panel on top?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertRose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I scored a great deal on a used cargo box for the top of my van. It's a Stor Mor hard shell 54x24x18. I like it even better than a Yakima because it's rectangular and can hold a lot more than many Yakimas. Stoked about the great deal and also because the long time owner is an 85 yr old former rock climber out of Joshua Tree who still gets together with his climbing buddies. How cool is that.

My son (also a rock climber) is going to install it for me, probably by securing it to the top of the van (drilling holes). My question is, is it feasible and possible to install a flexible or hard solar panel (200W) to the top of the cargo box? I'm wondering if this can be done in such a way as I can open and close the cargo box as needed.

Is the top flat or curved? What is it made from? 

Wood, plastic, fiberglass, aluminum? Is there any reinforcing inside?

Is it flimsy feeling or very strong and stable?

:huh:

Dang it I can't get a photo to load.

Here's a link to something very similar (mine's in better shape with different dimensions). It fits perfectly on top of my Odyssey with room for the sun roof to open. It's flat on top and super sturdy. The rock climber who owned it kept all his gear in there, on top of a vehicle. Holes are already on the bottom.

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/data/4840/recent_download_044_Medium_.jpg

Oh ok...thats similar to those RV rooftop boxes. 

I would think a small flexible solar panel glued and screwed would work well.

(disclaimer: there might be following comments about how short the lifespan of flexible panels is).

Thanks, and did not know some people feel that flex panels have a short lifespan. Need to research that. Whatever is least expensive and works best, of course. Not averse to a hard panel.

I paid only $40 for this puppy, the asking was $49. When I was ruminating about what to store up there my son said "smelly stuff." :p

Anyone else please feel free to chime in about solar.

I have seen it done the way you describe on an RV but they reinforced the box. the cool thing was that they could tilt the panels with it too when needed but dont know if they planed for rain or other considerations.

Yes, that's what I was thinking of doing. The box is extremely sturdy (held rock climbing gear and other stuff for many years). It is in good shape.

Am I on the same page as you about reinforcing, though? What my son said he was going to do is attach the cargo box to wood 2x4's or whatever. I told him that's ok as long as it doesn't look squirrely. (He's very exacting so I doubt it will look squirrely.) He was going to do a roof rack but has decided to use wood instead. If by reinforcing you mean something else, please advise.

Flexible panels can last a long time if they are kept stable, but many people assume they can keep on flexing in the wind for years and that's not the case. So they get a reputation of being short-lived. But obviously they won't last as long under UV exposure and harsh weather as a rigid panel.

But a large rigid panel might cause a lot of strain on the box at highway speeds.

BTW I would not use wood, I would buy some aluminum square tubing and aluminum angle and make a platform for it.

DesertRose said:
Yes, that's what I was thinking of doing. The box is extremely sturdy (held rock climbing gear and other stuff for many years). It is in good shape.

Am I on the same page as you about reinforcing, though? What my son said he was going to do is attach the cargo box to wood 2x4's or whatever. I told him that's ok as long as it doesn't look squirrely. (He's very exacting so I doubt it will look squirrely.) He was going to do a roof rack but has decided to use wood instead. If by reinforcing you mean something else, please advise.

the one I saw maybe that same one on the gmcphotos site. but yeah, it was a wood frame and since its inside it should be OK.

steel would be better if you have a mig welder or aluminum even better if you have that set-up.

so long as the box has a good hinge and attaching hardware for it, it should work fine. just deal up anywhere you have to drill into it on top.

I have one of those, mine looks deeper. I guess your definition of extremely sturdy and mine are different. I personally would not drill holes through my roof to mount it. mine mounts on a rack on my trailer. I would go with a rack. I don't know about mounting a framed solar panel to it, on mine the top has quite a bit of flex when you open and close it. in fact it frequently gets out of alignment when I try to close it. I got mine used and have had it for about 10 years, so I has held up. hope that helps. highdesertranger

All good suggestions here, thanks guys. :)

Been spending the past couple hours convincing my son to mount a rack instead of drilling holes in the roof. The aluminum square tubing and angle is a good inexpensive solution. As for the solar panel, I'm thinking flexible or not at all. Easily removable to prevent early aging.

Lensun flexiable solar panels are Very good - Lensun panel are made different than most flexiable panels - can be walked on if mounted on flat ridigid surface - a little more $ than most flexiable panels but worth it - I purchased on amazon - 80 watt $215 panel is ALL Black in color

I wouldn't screw to it. Get a flex panel that fits and if it's not enough watts for you, combine a battery isolator to help it out while you drive/sun is not optional. I just made a topic that has a lot of good info from the questions I was asking. Flex seem to break because people flex them all the time. Flex it once and 3m(heavy duty) tape it to secure it. I wouldn't bother using screws. I decided against flex because I don't want it on my roof heating up but if it's going on a roof box then you won't have that issue of heat transfer in the car.

Would you still be able to lift the box lid with the weight of the panel on it?