✅ Are you urban stealth camping in your TALL Transit, Promaster or Sprinter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been afraid of residential areas and more inclined to pick apartment complexes for this reason: the greater number of people means less interest in who's parking where. Residents would take a greater interest in the lone van due to home security issues?
I would love to hear your reasoning for your preference. Thank you.
I make no effort to be stealth. My van isn't an RV. But it isn't a creepy white cargo van either. It looks like what it is: a large passenger van. in most people's minds, its a very large car, or a small bus. Either way, they don't give it much thought. The only folks that notice are those that are interested in vans/RVs. I own vehicles (Hummer, Jeep, class A) that get noticed/attract comments and my Sprinter isn't in the ballpark.

I've never parked in front of a single family house where everyone parks in their driveway/garage. I park on streets where the residents park on the streets. Like downtown Portland or the Bronx. I also like to park in strip malls, especially in smaller towns. In suburban areas, I've parked in Park N Ride lots. I've also parked overnight in city parks in small towns, and a few places in big cities where it's allowed, like the Golden Gate Bridge Overlook in San Francisco. I used to fret over where I was going to park, but 20k miles later, I don't spend any time planning in advance. I just look for someplace convenient, quiet and safe when I'm ready to stop for the day.

I have experience parking in industrial areas, that's one of the places I park when traveling in the class A. These areas are more monitored than they appear: with security cameras, roving guards, and sleeping truckers. Not a lot vagrants or folks hanging out. I'm not uncomfortable in industrial areas, but I can usually find more convenient spots to park the van.

I've never gotten a knock on the door of my (impossible to blend in) 40' Discovery. Regardless of vehicle, my goal is not to be stealth, my goal is to not be a nuisance.

Hope this helps.

Dont understand what is creepy about white cargo vans?
I didn't like my white cargo van exterior at first. Planed to bedliner it blue.
But weather got worse and stayed that way.
Since then I noticed I can park my white cargo van in any industrial area, or behind commercial buildings with other white vans.
Downside, it shows dirt fast.

I make no effort to be stealth. My van isn't an RV. But it isn't a creepy white cargo van either. It looks like what it is: a large passenger van. in most people's minds, its a very large car, or a small bus. Either way, they don't give it much thought. The only folks that notice are those that are interested in vans/RVs. I own vehicles (Hummer, Jeep, class A) that get noticed/attract comments and my Sprinter isn't in the ballpark.

I've never parked in front of a single family house where everyone parks in their driveway/garage. I park on streets where the residents park on the streets. Like downtown Portland or the Bronx. I also like to park in strip malls, especially in smaller towns. In suburban areas, I've parked in Park N Ride lots. I've also parked overnight in city parks in small towns, and a few places in big cities where it's allowed, like the Golden Gate Bridge Overlook in San Francisco. I used to fret over where I was going to park, but 20k miles later, I don't spend any time planning in advance. I just look for someplace convenient, quiet and safe when I'm ready to stop for the day.

I have experience parking in industrial areas, that's one of the places I park when traveling in the class A. These areas are more monitored than they appear: with security cameras, roving guards, and sleeping truckers. Not a lot vagrants or folks hanging out. I'm not uncomfortable in industrial areas, but I can usually find more convenient spots to park the van.

I've never gotten a knock on the door of my (impossible to blend in) 40' Discovery. Regardless of vehicle, my goal is not to be stealth, my goal is to not be a nuisance.

Hope this helps.
I like the distiction: "my goal is not to be stealth, my goal is not to be a nuisance." Thank you.