✅ Are you urban stealth camping in your TALL Transit, Promaster or Sprinter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magentawave

Reaction score
I’ve been living in and urban stealth camping in my converted 06 Sienna for the last 6 months. I can stealth park anywhere in my Sienna even though it has solar panels, Thule cargo box on top and a bike rack with bike in the back.

Now I want a Promaster or Transit tall roof because I want a permanent bed, shower, diesel heater, space to store surfboards and sup’s in the “garage” and more solar. This will be my permanent home. A very hard to pass up deal has come up on a 2017 Transit 250 tall roof mid length with only 50k miles. I know the owners too.

My biggest concern about getting a big tall Transit (or similar) is this…

Assuming I do all the stealthy I stuff I do now with my Sienna before I park and while parked, will I still be able to urban stealth camp in a big beast like a tall Transit?

Thanks😀

Check the height limits for on-street parking in the cities where you want to stay. Some cities have a height limit along with length and width limits.

Do you often see similar rigs to what you want parked where you currently stalth park? Do they get hassled? Do they just park in more industrial areas? Would you mind doing the same?

Asking yourself such questions will probably give you the answers you need.

I stealthed camp along the coast; I know Oceanside has a height limit of 7'/84" - along with seaside communities in San Diego. I never got the dreaded knock in my GMC Savana van... The Transit medium height will stick out...

It's inconvenient but in places where vanlife is common almost any late model van with accessories on the outside get's pegged as a vanlife van. I think the best method is to follow bob's tutorial on stealth camping. you may get some knocks but be respectful and move when asked and you'll figure out where you can park and where you can't.

I've encountered many municipal overnight parking on residential streets ordinances limiting height that might effect where you could park. Certain places I find myself in have streets with businesses such as HVAC, and other that use similar vans to mine and I have found a Transit medium roof with ladder rack and no obvious signs of habitation can blend in okay there. I installed my solar panels flush with the rack so they blend in somewhat. I always leave early in the am. The high roof version makes it harder to see what is on top of the roof if you position things right. As many have said there is no real stealth if someone is really looking. Some places have had problems with people living in vehicles and are keen on enforcing, other areas not so much.

It’s a tall Transit and medium length. Someone told me last week that cops in Encinitas CA (just south of Oceanside) aren’t bothering people now because of covid. I surf so the coast is mostly where I roam. I intend for this big van to be my home so we shall see how it goes.

It’s a tall Transit and medium length. Someone told me last week that cops in Encinitas CA (just south of Oceanside) aren’t bothering people now because of covid. I surf so the coast is mostly where I roam. I intend for this big van to be my home so we shall see how it goes.
I lived in that area for over 20 years, Behind the boat houses and then near San Dieguito Academy. It used to be quite common to see vans and rvs parked on the coast highway near the campgrounds and 3rd street by the Self Realization Fellowship Temple. Never saw anyone rousted out. I moved from there in 2006. Only way I can afford that area anymore is to sleep in my van. I really miss living there.

I have a high roof Sprinter. I cannot speak about stealth parking in the same area on a long term basis. I can tell you that I've never had a problem overnight parking when passing through areas, including traveling up the coast from San Diego to Portland. Or from Portland to NY. Or down the east coast following I-95 to Miami. In areas where I stayed several days, I'd spend an extended time parked wherever I needed/wanted to be (ie. laundromat, grocery store, scenic overlook) then find a place to park for the night always moving to a different spot the next night. My favorite place to park overnight are residential neighborhoods. I "fit in" by being the only van around, I avoid areas where vehicle dwellers congregate.

Overall most cops are neutral on the matter unless they have been given a mandate by the town to enforce no vanning laws.
Cops won't generally seek out a problem, unless somebody calls them.
People who complain will be residents.
I've had luck avoiding parking in purely residential areas where you will stick out like a sore thumb.
People know their neighbors and their cars, they know which cars "belong" and which don't.
I have a white Econoline and there are still a ton being used out there by the HVAC, electricians, Utilities, Plumbers, Xfinity, etc.
So I find a neighborhood that has some of those types of businesses and park there.
You won't get a second look by most passersby and only someone intently looking for vanners will bother you.

I do agree with "avoid areas where vehicle dwellers congregate" as they will be known to the authorities and sites like that may have a history of nuisance complaints so enforcement may be elevated.

I do very little stealth camping in urban areas, but for me common sense dictates avoiding areas with other vans, RVs and vehicle dwellers, just on the basis that if you pay attention to news about residents-vehicle dwellers conflicts in various parts of the nation, the conflicts almost always involve areas where there are multiple vehicle dwellers who've appropriated a certain area. Residents tend to object to the phenomenon of such appropriation, more so than to any individual vehicle dweller. Also, common sense helps us understand people do not like to see someone living in a vehicle in front of their house or in some cases very close by.

So if you can avoid making residents feel they are being encroached upon, you have more chance of passing your nights peacefully, is my thought on it.

Assuming I do all the stealthy I stuff I do now with my Sienna before I park and while parked, will I still be able to urban stealth camp in a big beast like a tall Transit?

People generally assume mine is a work van. Very few knocks, but in areas where food trucks or mobile sellers are common I had many conversations with curious people who wanted to know what business I was in or what I was selling.

I boondock most of the time, but when stealthing I tend to park in industrial areas where other work vehicles are parked for the night. I spend days at public locations like parks.

I have a med roof Ford Transit SWB.
8 feet tall, 20 long.
Was going to bedliner it blue, but the cold weather arrived and the paint wants it to be 65 or better when applied.
Since then I've reconsidered painting it. I'm thinking the plain white is an asset for stealth camping.
Also, in the last few months especially I've noticed more vans that are trying to stealth but kind of blowing it.
If you have visible camper hookups for power, water and septic on the side, obviously not a contractor van.
If you have all kinds of awnings and accessories mounted on the outside it screams 'van life'.
Now this might not matter to a cop on patrol. But there are plenty of people with too much time on their hands who may complain if they see an obvious camper van on their block.
As far as height, the problems I have are that I cannot go into parking garages, or some parking lots that have those height bars on the entrance to the parking lot. I guess they assume you might go into the parking garage?
Lately I've been stealthing in some shopping center areas that are big enough for anonymity, but not big enough to warrant a security guard.
Often there is an area on the side or in back where employees park. This is usually not visible from the street.
As a bonus I can sometimes find such a spot near a Starbucks so I can use their WIFI.
Though recently they started blocking access if you drive up after they close.
Though it still works if you arrive before they close and stay connected!
The only time I've gotten a knock was when I was parked in an industrial area with nobody around for blocks.
The next morning some guy bumped my van with his SUV a couple times. Guess he didn't want me parked in front of his business.
Almost got out and smashed his headlights in but I talked myself down.
I do not like to be woken up, but how do you explain that to judge or police officer? You don't.

Some approaches for extending wifi reach to give more parking options.
I'm actually a tech guy. I've yet to install any wifi gear in my van. I'm trying to keep it stealth.
Though maybe i could stick a 6db whip antenna discretely.
I only do the WIFI squatting thing when my 'unlimited' data hits its limit in tethering.
Which usually happens not from watching videos, but by accidentally downloading an update.
Need to revisit my data plan at some point.

I've yet to install any wifi gear in my van. I'm trying to keep it stealth

I hear ya.

I run a mini-router (gli.net, two detachable ants) inside the cab but with good "views" through the glass. One of the ants is still on the router and the other is on an extension, hanging between the windshield and rearview mirror and so has about a 200deg+ view around the van. The ant is black and the back of the mirror is black so it's not immediately obvious.

It works surprisingly well, typically getting excellent signal from nearby street parking and usable signal a block away (but still line-of-sight). It works so well that I haven't pursued an externally mounted ant.

Originally I was running the base $20 glinet with a single internal ant, and it worked well in parking lots adjacent to the building with the AP. I went to the external ant model to help decrease blind spots caused by my windowless cargo van walls.

I’ve been living in and urban stealth camping in my converted 06 Sienna for the last 6 months. I can stealth park anywhere in my Sienna even though it has solar panels, Thule cargo box on top and a bike rack with bike in the back.

Now I want a Promaster or Transit tall roof because I want a permanent bed, shower, diesel heater, space to store surfboards and sup’s in the “garage” and more solar. This will be my permanent home. A very hard to pass up deal has come up on a 2017 Transit 250 tall roof mid length with only 50k miles. I know the owners too.

Thanks😀
I would not. Too many limitations/accomodating the unusual height. Stealth doesn't get much better than a Sienna. I have a 2006.

I have a high roof Sprinter. I cannot speak about stealth parking in the same area on a long term basis. I can tell you that I've never had a problem overnight parking when passing through areas, including traveling up the coast from San Diego to Portland. Or from Portland to NY. Or down the east coast following I-95 to Miami. In areas where I stayed several days, I'd spend an extended time parked wherever I needed/wanted to be (ie. laundromat, grocery store, scenic overlook) then find a place to park for the night always moving to a different spot the next night. My favorite place to park overnight are residential neighborhoods. I "fit in" by being the only van around, I avoid areas where vehicle dwellers congregate.
I have been afraid of residential areas and more inclined to pick apartment complexes for this reason: the greater number of people means less interest in who's parking where. Residents would take a greater interest in the lone van due to home security issues?
I would love to hear your reasoning for your preference. Thank you.

People generally assume mine is a work van. Very few knocks, but in areas where food trucks or mobile sellers are common I had many conversations with curious people who wanted to know what business I was in or what I was selling.

I boondock most of the time, but when stealthing I tend to park in industrial areas where other work vehicles are parked for the night. I spend days at public locations like parks.
I have a Class B camper van and am still new to this way of life (Sept '21). When I bought the van and had to stealth while settling up property issues before I took off, I parked at my daughter's apartment complex for 2+ months. Since I moved it often, did not camp in it during the day (I was in her apt), the only issues I had at night was with loud pedestrians and the occasional teen/tween who was feeling obnoxious.

I am about to embark again after the holidays and transmission issues. I need to stealth and as a single female, industrial areas make me nervous due to being alone and the fact that mine does not look like a work van. Other than apartments and industrial areas, are there any other "safe zones" you would recommend? Thank you.

Thanks😀
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking if the police will bother you or are you asking if the average Joe will know you're living in your van? If you have solar panels, a Thule cargo box on top and a bike rack with bike in the back, then anybody who knows people live in their vehicles, including cops, knows you're living in your vehicle right now. If the cops haven't bothered you yet, I don't see why having a different vehicle would cause them to bother you. As far as the average person, they have no idea what to look for, even when it's blatantly obvious to me. I do think having a bigger vehicle could make you more of a target for thieves - a person living in a Sprinter probably has a lot more valuables than someone living in a minivan - so I would plan my security accordingly.