Ford E250 Cargo Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheli

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have been MIA around here for quite some time because I decided to travel over seas for a bit before settling in a vehicle and traveling the country full time. Anyway, I recently returned to the states and I'm now looking for a vehicle to hit the road. There is a dealer that has several Ford E250 cargo vans available and I'm going to look and test drive some today.

There is one specific one that I like and would love some input as I'm not really sure if this is a good deal or even a good van.  It's a 2014 Ford E250 Cargo Van extended with 38k miles and a hightop.

I also have a question about high tops and solar panels. I think I saw somewhere a while ago that you can't mount solar panels on a high top, is that true?  I really want a high top because I'm tall and I also want solar panels.  If they can't be installed then won't go for the high top because I'd much rather being set up off grid.

This is the van I'm going to look at if anyone would be willing to check it out and share any input.

Ford E250 Cargo Van

I am looking forward to becoming active in here again and soon seeing you all on the road!!!!!

Thank you.

the van you are looking at there would be no problem with putting solar panels on.. However, make sure you know and trust a good mechanic to look it over well. it sounds like the vans you are looking at could possibly be from a fleet.. this could be a good deal or a very bad deal.. it would be much better if you had some mechanical knowledge.. if you take it to a mechanic have them do a block test, have them test the transition oil, doing a compression test and a pressure test would be a good idea also.

Hello Cheli, yeah I thought to myself, hey, self, I think that name is familiar...so what countries did you travel in?

Yes, you can add solar panels to a hightop...and of course you can supplement those with portable panels. 

Be SURE that you want a van with all those windows...they will complicate your build and compromise your ability to add insulation and stay comfortable in extreme heat and cold while camping or boondocking. Plus with that wheelchair lift, the spare tire may have been removed...be sure to check for that.

Those are really good vans, I had a similar model for several years (regular roof tho) and they tend to be reliable, but take it out for at least a 20 mile trip on the highway....you want the tires and everything else warmed up, and then on the highway, on a straight smooth section (hopefully on a non-windy day) and relax your grip on the wheel (dont release, just relax) and see if you feel any drift or other front end 'alignment' issues (such as heading for the edge of the road by itself!).  If you do, it's possible it might need front end work...mine did. That front twin I-beam and ball joints can be an issue...or not, depending on that particular build.

And again, have someone you trust do some basic checks, including, get down on the ground and look at the undercarriage...vehicles from up that way may or may not have been driven over ice and snow covered roads that were treated with aggressive chemicals...so you are looking for damaging rust...light surface rust is not a problem, but lots of rust everywhere, and/or flaking loose pieces of rusty metal are a sign of trouble.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Yes you can put panels on a high top. Depending on how the high top is constructed would determine how to mount them. Welcome back.

Highdesertranger

tx2sturgis said:
Hello Cheli, yeah I thought to myself, hey, self, I think that name is familiar...so what countries did you travel in?

Glad you remember me.  My last profile pic was me with my long pink hair, I look a little different now.  haha  :D  I backpacked SE Asia for five months and travelled through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia.  Then I came home for a couple of months and made a plan to work remotely so I could head back out.  I went to live in Vietnam for a year because it's my favorite and then I was going to travel to other countries and live in each for about six months at a time.  But then Covid happened and Vietnam closed the borders and I couldn't leave.  I was there for two years and when they opened the borders again (albeit very limited) I decided to just come back to the states since traveling freely around like I did before just isn't an option now with all of the restrictions.  So now it's time to begin my van life.  

I did think that the windows might complicate a build a little bit but wasn't totally against it.  But now I'm thinking maybe I'll keep looking for a cargo van without all of the windows to make things easier and cheaper.  I took it for a test drive and it is a great vehicle and clean and no rust or anything but I'm still looking around.

Yeah the windows....I think the ideal window configuration on a cargo van is a window (or windows) on the side sliding door (or barn doors) and a pair of windows in the rear barn doors, and no other windows behind the front seats. But that combo is hard to find with all the other features you might want such as a high top and low miles and a decent price. 

You probably wont find exactly what you are looking for...you may just have to be happy with what you CAN find that's close. And windows can be added later, but it is not cheap.

The passenger windows all the way around would not be a deal breaker for me, but they will need to be insulated and maybe tinted or covered in some way. It just depends on your future plans and what you are willing to deal with.

Keep in mind that the used van market is kinda hot right now....we've had some members on the forum look for months before they found something suitable.

That van has tip-out windows on the side doors and also on the large window behind the driver's seat.

Those make for good cross ventilation even when it's raining.

They also provide for fresh air intake for a roof exhaust fan.

I'm not sure if cargo vans come with those at the side and rear. They can be added but not necessarily cheaply.

Yes, it would be a lot of work to cover those windows but if the van checks out mechanically and since it has a hard-to-find
hightop, I would go for it. JMHO

(If they would send me about 10 more stimulus checks and I could get a good price out of my old van, I would go buy that E250 :)

Yep...high top, extended, with low miles...rare indeed. If they can toss in a 6 month warranty that would make ME wanna go buy it!

:p

slow2day said:
That van has tip-out windows on the side doors and also on the large window behind the driver's seat.

Those make for good cross ventilation even when it's raining.

They also provide for fresh air intake for a roof exhaust fan.

That's what I liked about it....love those tilt out windows toward the front.  Would it be very complicated to insulate and cover the back windows and build full height walls in the back and half walls in that forward section?  That way I can have the back section (my sleeping area) covered but have the middle section with the view and ventilation.

If you haven't done something like that before I'm sure you can find how-tos on Youtube or other online sources.

Or find someone who has done something similar and enlist them to help or at least give you pointers.

It wouldn't be complicated but it would be quite a bit of work. If you plan to use it for quite some time, it would be worth it.

If you avoid extreme temps, you could get away with minimal insulation IMO.

BTW: You need to research on how you will go about registering and insuring a van like this. It can be a real hassle.

slow2day said:
BTW: You need to research on how you will go about registering and insuring a van like this. It can be a real hassle.

I'm curious, so I know why as I continue to look for a vehicle, why would this kind of van be a hassle to register?  Because it's a high top or because it's a cargo van? Is any cargo van going to be a hassle to register?

Depends on the state you live in, or the state you decide to register the van in...and your particular insurance company policies.

In most states, you can register it as a private vehicle but then you may need to shop around for insurance, and don't mention it will be for camping. Just that you bought a big van for personal use. That's all they need to know.

Cheli said:
I'm curious, so I know why as I continue to look for a vehicle, why would this kind of van be a hassle to register?  Because it's a high top or because it's a cargo van? Is any cargo van going to be a hassle to register?

That van is a passenger van and it probably was used by a medical transport company or similar. So it would be titled and insured as a commercial vehicle.

Cargo vans are mostly sold to tradesman,etc. and the insurance companies will wonder if you will be using it for a business.

If you decide to go for this van, try to get them to remove the lift in the back (unless you want to keep it). They are hard to dispose of from what I have read on here.

Yes I already talked to them about that and they will remove the lift and any or all of the seats that I want for free.   :)

slow2day said:
That van is a passenger van and it probably was used by a medical transport company or similar. So it would be titled and insured as a commercial vehicle.

Cargo vans are mostly sold to tradesman,etc. and the insurance companies will wonder if you will be using it for a business.

Ok so that would be a pain to do I'm guessing?  If I get a regular cargo van (that tradesman use) will I have the same problem?  I see so many people convert cargo vans so I never thought it would be an issue.

The best advice I can give is go and talk to your insurance agent. Tell him (her) that you are considering buying a van for personal use, not commercial. See what (s)he says. You should be getting the gospel from them as they will be insuring it.

Different states have different regulations. People on here are from all over the states.

slow2day said:

People buy cargo vans all the time for personal use. In my state, I bought my van from someone who had used it for travel, and the previous owner before that used it to transport his motorcycle and camping gear. Of course they may ask if you intend to use it for commercial use - you just say 'no'. Not a big deal at all IME.