cargo box needed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carestock

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a town and country minivan camper and need a cargo box for storage. My dream is a Thule XL but can't afford it. Looking for help.

Unsolicited advice here

Roof space is prime real estate for solar panels. A hitch mounted box works well and easier to access. Granted you have a hitch.

Too much stuff for a mini-van? Less stuff or a bigger van.  Sorry about that...

I still have troubles with too much stuff....

For some clarification. I am happy with my minivan and do not want anything bigger. I travel with a standard poodle so he needs the space next to my cot. I took out the stow n go seats and I use these areas for storage. I plan to invest in a portable suitcase solar so the cargo box will be on m y roof rack. I think so far I have pared down and live very minimal. I am still working  on the best organization for my needs, I use duffle bags. I do not have a sink or a compressor frig and don't want them. I use usb fans, propane camp stove, a tarp with clamps for shade. I am a disabled vet on disability income for travel. I always boondock/dry camp. I hope to find a roof top thule cargo box.

craigslist is a good place to find used cargo boxes as is Facebook market place, offerupnow and other online places where people can place free ads. In some cities such as Seattle there are also used cargo box dealers.

If you need both racks and a box that will of course cost more money. But I would say do be patient and watch the ads and you will eventually get the box you want or something very similar. My friend wanted a white box so that took a little longer to find a used one for a good price.

My cargo box was a total game changer. Cost me $50 at a garage sale and I’ve subsequently seen several at goodwills around this price. I too have a solar suitcase which fits perfectly in the front stow and go when not in use. I also installed an isolating solenoid which charges my house battery as I drive down the road. Another game changer for less than $100. Powers all my electronics (laptop, Bluetooth speaker, led lights plus a Dometic 18 quart refrigerator which fits perfectly between the front seats). 

I’m saving up for a 100 amp lithium house battery to replace my 105 amp flooded lead acid house battery. I’ve gotten a year out of it and it still works well but I need more power to run my instapot off my 1000 watt inverter. It would be nice to not have to run my engine for the 10 minutes it takes to bring the instapot up to full pressure. I’m also considering adding another 100 watt solar suitcase as I have the room in the stow and go.

Attachments

• B6DBDAB4-1816-48EA-A5B9-BE06A9F36F36.jpeg
    B6DBDAB4-1816-48EA-A5B9-BE06A9F36F36.jpeg
    768.7 KB · Views: 7