New van life camping...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been several years since I camped in Kentucky and Arkansas but many campgrounds in federal and state parks used to be gated closed for the winter months. I would check ahead!

Even those temps are pleasant, though, compared to here in the winter.
Well... lots of places are pleasant compared to the south pole in winter, too... ;) I grew up in IL, I know what winter is like!

I like simple things, like not having unnecessary contraptions. So I don't have heat. I like sun too... and wide open spaces.

We live in 100 degree plus weather much of the summer. Ain’t no place in the southwest that stays warm enough through the winter especially at night for us but we find the warmest weather or place we can!

We live in 100 degree plus weather much of the summer. Ain’t no place in the southwest that stays warm enough through the winter especially at night for us but we find the warmest weather or place we can!

You'd probably love to live on a tropical island. I lived on Kauai for awhile and it was too hot for me. It cooled off when it rained (which happened a lot) and the ocean was pleasant, and every once in awhile I'd go to the west side were I could climb up to ~5k ft elevation and that was nice. It wasn't hot compared to a lot of tropical islands, but low-mid 80s and high 70s at night, and very high humidity all the time got old.

When looking for warmer temps than central Illinois, don’t forget Louisiana, southern Mississippi, and coastal Alabama as well as Texas.

I like the Florida panhandle, don’t generally get much farther south than that, and then there is Georgia and South Carolina.

Great adventures await, Carla. ☺️
I've wanted to go to Rutherford Beach in Louisiana for years. It's almost directly south of me (on the ocean) and you can park your rig on the beach. Only now that I have a trailer I may park in the lot instead. But it is free!

Also want to visit a county park in far southern Texas where everything is free: water, electric, dump station. Even has a laundromat. Just like to see towns/county governments welcoming nomads. I should start a directory of towns that offer free camping.

I like the AllStays app, which lists almost all of the public campgrounds around the country, most of which are low cost compared to private.

Lots of little city and county campgrounds out there, in addition to state parks.

I've wanted to go to Rutherford Beach in Louisiana for years. It's almost directly south of me (on the ocean) and you can park your rig on the beach. Only now that I have a trailer I may park in the lot instead. But it is free!

Also want to visit a county park in far southern Texas where everything is free: water, electric, dump station. Even has a laundromat. Just like to see towns/county governments welcoming nomads. I should start a directory of towns that offer free camping.
Electric is sorta free at this park; there’s a caveat. The park is Falcon County Park not to be confused with Falcon State Park which is right down the road and there is nothing at all fancy about this place and I mean Nothing. (high maintenance peeps will be aghast)

But like the sign in the shower room says (paraphrase) Appreciate this - It’s Free!
But yes free parking of the rig; free water ; free hot showers; dump station - yes; umm laundromat again uhhh yeah sorta. Also a huge border patrol complex next to it too if you like that kinda added security.

(Also last time I was there some old guy was like the self anointed “camp host”; I thawt he prolly needed therapy so I just humored him.)

I’ve hung at this place numerous times while on my way to or frum South Padre Island. Ohh and watch out for the sand burrs, cactus needles & thorns as well the krazy ass javelinas running around after all it’s SW Texas.

Sayin……..
intjonny
PS: I’ve hung at both Rutherford & Holly Beaches in Loozyanna a lot too. The Cameron Ferry is free east bound a couple bux west bound. Sayin.

Last edited:
Electric is sorta free at this park; there’s a caveat. The park is Falcon County Park not to be confused with Falcon State Park which is right down the road and there is nothing at all fancy about this place and I mean Nothing. (high maintenance peeps will be aghast)

Looks nice for free! And no stay limit... pretty crazy...

A heads up on the water hookups. Some of these sites are a ways from wherever the water is coming from so I would let it run abit b4 attaching ur hose as who knows how long water been laying in the pipe.

Another; if you want a good spot get there early as the Canadians take the place over in winter. 😂 🇨🇦 Oh Canada 🇨🇦
Sayin……
jonny boi

Yes, it's called Falcon County. Can't believe you've been there, lol. So cool.

Where do you camp though, Johnny?

I spent some time camping in north FL a long time ago 33 years about. It was ok, but... lots of people. I thought I'd found a good spot in S GA, but was rudely awakened in the early am by hoards of guys with guns. Hunting season I discovered. Luckily not "rangy white boy" season!
No reason to be alarmed unless u hear banjo music😁

We were going to go there a few years back but my neighbor who is a retired US Marshal said that was his territory and no way would he go there because of illegals and cartels. I don't get excited about stuff but I realized that my wife would not sleep. But I think next year I will go since it is a lot closer than my trip to Quartzsite this year.

When looking for warmer temps than central Illinois, don’t forget Louisiana, southern Mississippi, and coastal Alabama as well as Texas.

I like the Florida panhandle, don’t generally get much farther south than that, and then there is Georgia and South Carolina.

Great adventures await, Carla. ☺️
I'm looking at a map and see I am directly above the Mississippi - Alabama border. Thought I was north of Rutherford Beach.
A year or so ago I found a city online in Miss. or Alabama that I wanted to visit. I forgot which town. It was on the gulf and seemed kinda quiet for a bigger city. I esp. liked that you could park your vehicle right next to the beach. Free public street. Free public beach. Hope I find it.

"Just GO!" Would be my answer. Head south and west to catch the warm temps. Quartzite AZ is definitely where you'd find a huge tribe of people doing the same thing and a good spot to rest and figure it out. So excited for you!! I left NY and traveled across the country to CA (still here). Best thing I ever did. Enjoy the journey!

We were going to go there a few years back but my neighbor who is a retired US Marshal said that was his territory and no way would he go there because of illegals and cartels. I don't get excited about stuff but I realized that my wife would not sleep. But I think next year I will go since it is a lot closer than my trip to Quartzsite this year.

Changed my mind and going to Falcon County Park instead of Quartzsite after Christmas. Why? Because according to the long term forecast I can expect 17 days above 70 at Falcon as opposed to 6 days at Q. Same amount of sun at each. 15 hr drive compared to a 24 hr drive for Q . Thanks for putting the idea back in my head.

Changed my mind and going to Falcon County Park instead of Quartzsite after Christmas. Why? Because according to the long term forecast I can expect 17 days above 70 at Falcon as opposed to 6 days at Q. Same amount of sun at each. 15 hr drive compared to a 24 hr drive for Q . Thanks for putting the idea back in my head.
Maybe I will see you there:)