Done kicking tires

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Somewhere in Southern Indiana at the moment
Hi everyone, My wife and I are from Southern Indiana.
We are shopping for a Step Van or a Box Truck.
I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 300+, so headroom is a factor that is important to me.
Not so much for my beautifully short wife :)
We are going to buy our van/truck and work on it as we downsize drastically.
We love to travel and our age and health is getting any younger or better.
We look forward to meeting and conversing with other like minded folks.

Welcome! Cargo trailers come in models with 7’ ceilings as well I believe. Might consider building one of those then later on mounting it on a flat bed truck as this enables if planned out well changing trucks if necessary and rear ramp doors make nice patios when parked.

Hi everyone, My wife and I are from Southern Indiana.
I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 300+, so headroom is a factor that is important to me....
Welcome Ray. I love step vans and box trucks for living/camping in. They are so spacious. If you don't find many near you, check Chicago area. They usually have plenty.

Best of luck finding a rig. Keep us posted :)

I've had great luck buying Penske trucks just under CDL (26,000 gvw) with 20' & 24' boxes, but watch FedEx.
FedEx sold thousands of vehicles with replaced odometers, class action lawsuit alleges. Court documents claim it is the largest odometer fraud scheme in U.S. automotive history. Court documents claim it is the largest odometer fraud scheme in U.S. automotive history.Jun 20, 2023

Welcome! Cargo trailers come in models with 7’ ceilings as well I believe. Might consider building one of those then later on mounting it on a flat bed truck as this enables if planned out well changing trucks if necessary and rear ramp doors make nice patios when parked.
Thank you, will diffidently give that a thought.

I've had great luck buying Penske trucks just under CDL (26,000 gvw) with 20' & 24' boxes, but watch FedEx.
FedEx sold thousands of vehicles with replaced odometers, class action lawsuit alleges. Court documents claim it is the largest odometer fraud scheme in U.S. automotive history. Court documents claim it is the largest odometer fraud scheme in U.S. automotive history.Jun 20, 2023
Oh my, thank you so much for that info!

Welcome to the Van Living Forum.

On a build the size of a step van or box truck you may be able to use the floor plan of a travel trailer plan sheet.
You could look at some different size floor plans for free with your wife and see if any of the layouts appeal to you.

Glen-L Travel Trailer Plans

Good Luck
Thank you, that's a great idea.

Ray, have you and wife given thought to the part of the country that you would like to be traveling in ? It could impact the choice of vehicle you decide to build out. Also would your wife be able to operate it well or have to depend on you to do all of the driving ? If you are wanting to travel into large cities some platforms will fare better than others, while if you only intend to travel in wide open spaces other platforms may serve your needs better.

East of the Mississippi River, where it is more densely populated, the step van may be more compact and maneuverable, But in the event of engine/transmission problems or wreck damage and the vehicle has to go into the shop for repairs you will lose your living quarters. West of the Mississippi River where it is more sparse & more miles may be driven, a Pickup & Travel Trailer may be easier to operate. The Pickup could be detached and used for day trips away from the trailer. Should the Pickup have problems it could be dropped off at a service facility and a rental car be obtained to go back to the Trailer and await completion of repairs to the Pickup.

Geography can drive some of these decisions.

As for the Travel Trailer floor plans adapted to a Step Van that I mentioned, the Klamath floor plan may offer much. Imagine placing the bathroom end of the trailer behind the drivers seat. The interior of the Trailer would be easily accessed from the driver & passengers area...........and the bathroom be at the opposite end from the dining area. Also, the table of the dinette can be lowered to the seat level and cushions placed on the table top to convert the booth to a comfortable bed. With consideration to your size the dinette could be built larger with a wider table to accommodate you.

The floor plan of the Klamath Trailer:

klamathl__63716.1707930209.jpg

Ray, have you and wife given thought to the part of the country that you would like to be traveling in ? It could impact the choice of vehicle you decide to build out. Also would your wife be able to operate it well or have to depend on you to do all of the driving ? If you are wanting to travel into large cities some platforms will fare better than others, while if you only intend to travel in wide open spaces other platforms may serve your needs better.

East of the Mississippi River, where it is more densely populated, the step van may be more compact and maneuverable, But in the event of engine/transmission problems or wreck damage and the vehicle has to go into the shop for repairs you will lose your living quarters. West of the Mississippi River where it is more sparse & more miles may be driven, a Pickup & Travel Trailer may be easier to operate. The Pickup could be detached and used for day trips away from the trailer. Should the Pickup have problems it could be dropped off at a service facility and a rental car be obtained to go back to the Trailer and await completion of repairs to the Pickup.

Geography can drive some of these decisions.

As for the Travel Trailer floor plans adapted to a Step Van that I mentioned, the Klamath floor plan may offer much. Imagine placing the bathroom end of the trailer behind the drivers seat. The interior of the Trailer would be easily accessed from the driver & passengers area...........and the bathroom be at the opposite end from the dining area. Also, the table of the dinette can be lowered to the seat level and cushions placed on the table top to convert the booth to a comfortable bed. With consideration to your size the dinette could be built larger with a wider table to accommodate you.

The floor plan of the Klamath Trailer:

klamathl__63716.1707930209.jpg
Wow, that's great food for thought.
Thank you

There are also box trucks that the truck can set the box on the ground in a couple of minutes so access would be easier & you wouldn't have to take the box with the truck to run errands. We had a window supplier that would drop a box of windows & pick up the box when empty.

I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 300+, so headroom is a factor...
We are going to buy our van/truck and work on it...
We love to travel...
Team Treasures,
a)
Destinations partially determine vehicle type.
For example, inner-city and forests both benefit from ground-clearance and substantial bumpers.
b)
Another factor is/are your mechanical abilities, such as routine changing fan-belts and radiator-hoses.
I think you are on the right track, seeking a box-truck or step-van.
I also think your 'work on it' might be premature.
How about:
1) acquire a suitable candidate,
2) toss in some car-camping gear,
3) go have fun.
Allow the conversion to evolve organically.
Building then using risks forcing the adventure to fit the rig.
[edited to add]
Our introduction with plenty of portraits, plus our reasons for our decisions:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/expeditionvehicle-build.44908/#post-576110
Box-Trucks rock!