Canadians in USA adjusting to cannabis law realities

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Context: I am Canadian, though I will probably spend more time on the road in USA (a whole other thread); I rarely use cannabis (doesn't agree with me anymore); however, I have two 'pot' plants in my garden in BC right now (probably males) among many more times the amount of other medicinal, culinary and aromatic herbs. I resent any government telling me what I can grow in my garden or put into my own body. I once grew four Cannabis sativa/indica blends plants, harvested most for my mother's chronic pain (making a cooking oil from buds) and sold the remainder. Recently cannabis use and even selling has been hands-off by law enforcement in BC. This will change in a  few months due to our Federally elected party ('Liberal' -- a whole other thread) legalizing, taxing and regulating the psychoactive variety of hemp. I am opposed to 'legalization'. Hear me out...

I remember one day five years ago walking down the street in small-town Malaysia and feeling something in my pocket. I had just arrived from Cambodia where cannabis, while not long ago having become illegal to use, is traditionally used in some cooking, and is still (duh!) available in the black market. What was in my pocket? A joint. Sometimes I worry that if I start of this once a week weekend habit that USA will fry my butt for such a private indulgence. More than that the *mentality* of cannabis prohibition irks me. But it is the cross-border issue (also in S.E. Asia) that is more of an issue than small-time personal use. How do cannabis users deal with inter-state and international border issues? I presume you just discard/use anything left before you cross. Be careful -- you might forget! I did - see above.

Why am I opposed to legalization: if the Liquor Control board is enough of Big Brother, now cannabis will be controlled by the State, and even more so. But I also think that the cannabis lobby is unrealistic. They present marijuana as a panacea. In my opinion there are pros and cons of using cannabis, that is dose and frequency dependent for one. A buddy of mine is  'pot-head' and it has fried his brain in terms of efficiency and reliability. However, like cocaine, alcohol or any drug -- in principle I am opposed to prohibition on grounds or personal freedom. Never the less the State has a gun to my head (and your head too) about such choices.

Now, with so-called legalization in Canada the police will be enforcing new laws that are actually worse than before when it practice the market was laissez-faire. I would rather they use their limited budgets on rapists, murderers and white collar financial defrauders.

I wonder if it will come to an armed confrontation about state rights. I haven't yet seen the Feds and State troopers drawing lines of conflict. More important issues and too high risk of escalation I suppose.

I am a small 'l' libertarian on most issues.

Yep, if you wanna see what happens when a naturally regulated market is "regulated" by the guvvy, look at California. The entire culture, not to mention a previously thriving free market, of cannabis farming and consumption up in smoke. Emerald Triangle culture destroyed. Farmer's Market culture gone. Hello Big Weed, goodbye artisanal.

Borders, yes. Especially the Americans when crossing from Canada. Did you hear about the woman who went for a run in BC and accidentally crossed into Washington? Two weeks in ICE detention because, oh no, she went for a run without her passport and took a wrong turn. Holy crap, I used to cross back and forth all the time with just my driver's license. Clean your pockets very well before you approach any border!

Legal states vs. illegal is still an issue. There are only four holdout states that have zero legal weed, but even among those like Washington, Oregon, and Cali that are legal over 18, it's still federally illegal to move weed across state lines (and, for now, federally illegal period so if you have the misfortune to get stopped and searched by ICE you're in trouble if you're holding.) This will certainly change soon, but for now that's where it stands.

I don't understand why any Canadian would want to come to this total mess of a country right now. Maybe you could explain.

The Dire Wolfess

Moxadox said:
Yep, if you wanna see what happens when a naturally regulated market is "regulated" by the guvvy, look at California.  The entire culture, not to mention a previously thriving free market, of cannabis farming and consumption up in smoke.  Emerald Triangle culture destroyed.  Farmer's Market culture gone.  Hello Big Weed, goodbye artisanal.

Borders, yes.  Especially the Americans when crossing from Canada.  Did you hear about the woman who went for a run in BC and accidentally crossed into Washington?  Two weeks in ICE detention because, oh no, she went for a run without her passport and took a wrong turn.  Holy crap, I used to cross back and forth all the time with just my driver's license.  Clean your pockets very well before you approach any border!

Legal states vs. illegal is still an issue.  There are only four holdout states that have zero legal weed, but even among those like Washington, Oregon, and Cali that are legal over 18, it's still federally illegal to move weed across state lines (and, for now, federally illegal period so if you have the misfortune to get stopped and searched by ICE you're in trouble if you're holding.)  This will certainly change soon, but for now that's where it stands.

I don't understand why any Canadian would want to come to this total mess of a country right now.  Maybe you could explain.

The Dire Wolfess

Why come to USA?

Canada and USA each have their pros and cons. Let me tell you, for brevity, the pros of USA from my perspective...

1. Climatic variety: Alaska, Hawaii, S West, Cascadia, Florida Everglades. When I did a continental tour in 2001 all I could think of was 'what a country!'
2. Cheaper: I can actually afford to eat out in USA, not so much in Canada. USA is the planet's shopping destination. Trust me I have visited China many times and USA is easier, although not cheaper. It is also better value due to big store return policies.
3. Denser population: Canada is great for outdoorsmen, but it takes a lot of time (and gas) to go between cities. Canada is essentially one big wilderness.

I hope you had the sense to throw away that joint in Malaysia, given that drugs are a capital crime there and you have no rights as a visitor there. (I love Malaysia, by the way. Best food in the planet!) You also do not have the same rights as citizens here, so be careful. When you are a guest in another country, you have to play by the rules.

That said, pot is rife all over WA State. What are you getting all exercised about? Colorado, too and Oregon and California, too. Whooptidoo. Beavis and Butthead were victorious. So it is almost impossible to get decent customer service or find workers who can pass pee tests and drive trucks or operate machinery. Substances are ruining our countries.

Why are you opposed? What about a lot of people who had terrible pains and had to drink drugs to kill them. And after that rehabs, because they have become narcos...

My friend, who is a paralegal, has provided this information for my tribe (different tribe).

He wants to note that this is not legal advice, he is not a lawyer, and everybody will have a different experience.

Important Information for Crossing the Border Between Canada and the USA
ELWOOD REID·THURSDAY, 28 JUNE 2018

With the upcoming legalization of cannabis in Canada, there are some important things to be aware of.
Cannabis is a schedule 1 drug in the United States.  That means that on a federal level, it is completely illegal.  Certain states have legalized it, but that only extends to the borders of that state.  If two neighboring states have both legalized it, it is still illegal to cross that state line with it.
The international border between Canada and the US is federally controlled by each country.  If you are going from Canada into the US, you are at a federal check point.  
Looking into the legalities of what this means, if you are crossing into the States, and you get asked at the border if you have ever consumed cannabis, and you say “yes”, you can be permanently banned from entering the US.  Regardless of the legality in Canada, and any border state (ie Washington).

The US border will most likely start asking cannabis related questions of travellers entering the US as we approach the legalization date in October 2018.  They may even threaten to do a drug test, a lie detector, or detain you.  
These are all things that they cannot do. 

They can search your person and vehicle.  If they find traces or residue, they then have grounds to ban you from entry.
Because we do a lot of activities on either side of the border, please, be smart about what you bring over either direction.  

It is suggested that if you partake of any cannabis products, keep it out of your car in general, or clean your car really well before crossing.  Don’t use backpacks or luggage that you regularly transport cannabis in.  A suggestion would be to have a bag that is designated as “clean” and kept in a place where it would not be exposed to cannabis smoke or residue, and is never physically in contact with any substance of question for the border.
If there is a requirement for cannabis products for medical reasons, we can work together as a tribe to ensure that these needs are met without the risk of transporting over the border.

Please be smart about this.  

I predict a lot of crackdown for a while after the legalization.  If you choose to divulge information to the border about cannabis use, you may face being permanently barred.
Best practice, just don’t take any cannabis products over the border in either direction.  This includes but is not limited to vapes, plants, shatter, oils, capsules, edibles, or any other form it may take.

Latest posts