Can I really do it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craftsmither

Reaction score
Hi all! Hoping for some encouragement and insight. I've watched many YouTube videos on nomadic living and even lived in a van, traveling with my husband for 8 months. We are back in sticks and bricks at the moment. The time may come when I have to go nomadic on my own. Even though I've done it as a couple, going it alone feels like a totally different ballgame. My biggest concern is breaking down or being stranded. I currently own a 2000 Toyota Sienna with about 160k miles on it. It seems to be solid mechanically. I know I could make it comfy. But is this too old a vehicle for prudent travel? I know AAA but what if you break down where there is no cell service? That's my biggest concern. I have other things I need to line up before hitting the road but just wondered what seasoned nomads' opinions would be on the current rig. Or if you would be working towards something newer before hitting the road. I may not be able to get anything else but wanted advice. Thanks in advance!

Your Toyota is a known vehicle. Has it been well maintained and driven sensibly? Does it have a history of break downs? I would rather take my higher mileage never-left-me-stranded (yet) vehicle than one I do not know with lower mileage. Years ago, I bought a brand new car and in the first 12,000 miles, it broke down three times. A newer vehicle doesn't guarantee anything.

If a breakdown does occur, you will handle it, just like you have handled all the other challenges you've had in your life so far.

Best wishes!

Just HAD to chime in.  I, after driving 214K miles on my 2006 (rigged for travel) Toyota Sienna; gave her to my son.  I have had mechanic after mechanic tell me that that model was one of the best ever made, and will likely go another 200K if I keep the oil and fluids changed regularly. :)  I even heard the same on a Sat. morning radio show once.. The Car Guys??

I drove that van all over Texas, to Denver for my son's wedding, and to Omaha during Hurricane Harvey and back.   I still miss 'Freckles', but she has been replaced (which is ultimately WHY I passed her on to my son, cause 3 cars was kind of ridiculous for one person!) and so far.. it's taking a long time to 'bond', but MoonGlobie and I are getting there.

Best wishes on your future travels.  Do your upkeep, get a road side assistance plan (Escapees is seemingly pretty good) and take off.  I once heard many decades ago that "the cheapest vehicle you'll ever own is the one you're driving right now". :)   You can always save up those imaginary car payments, so that if and when the time comes to replace your Sienna, you'll have some funds to do so.  IN the mean time.. drive cheap, reliable, and enjoy.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Craftsmither! Besides taking your car to a mechanic to make sure that it's in top shape, start building up an emergency fund.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

The Toyota Siennas are highly rated as being reliable. But of course it all depends on the amount of miles and the quality of work put into it during the time it had a previous owner. But for a single woman who is not going to try to drive around the country on a long tour it might serve well for a while until you can save up to replace it with another reliably rated but lower in miles vehicle. They do come along for good prices now and again.

As to breaking down on the road. Yes you might but there are lots of auto repair places around to help you as well as fellow travellers.

No cell phone connection? Not to worry you can get a CB radio to use for those situations. There are still lots of people on the road with CBs who will help relay a call for help. Also lots of tow trucks use CB communication. So get one for your back up communication. Plus if you are in a caravan with others it can be used to keep in touch with the group. Do not get a really old used unit, there were some changes to the system a few years back. You will want to have a roof mount magnetic antenna for it.

You can stay in locations that are no so remote that you can't walk a few miles to where there is traffic or other people. Be sure you have some good walking shoes and a water bottle or two that can clip to your belt. A small backpack day bag that is set up with water bottles, sun screen lotion, some energy bars, band aids for blisters, hand held CB radio, etc can be part of your emergency preparations but it can also be used for day hikes. So even if you have a break down you are ready to get yourself rescued by walking out to a location where you can get in touch with a tow truck or mobile repair service or even have someone passing by on a road contact the state or county patrol so they can drive to your location to meet you. Then they can help you with communications to get a tow. It is good to know in advance how to determine the GPS coordinates for where your vehicle is and also if you walk out for where someone coming with the tow truck can pick you up so you can get back to your vehicle by riding in the tow truck.

Thanks so much for the input! I value the well rounded and balanced views. I definitely feel more informed! Hope everyone is having a great night! Thanks again!

Little late to the thread but jumping on! I've been on the road full-time in a 2005 Chevy Uplander Mini-van, the first 7 months solo. Being prepared helped give me confidence, like reviewing how to change a flat tire, carrying a battery bank that could jump my car, cables, fix-a-flat. I was so pumped when I first started out that I was willing to be out of cell-signal range, but I was always within walking range to get help. 

I recently was up in the Adirondacks solo camping, no signal, and woke up one morning to a flat tire! At first I started to panic, my partner wasn't around, I would have to flag someone down for help, wasn't even thinking about changing the flat, but I remembered I had a can of fix-a-flat!!! Saved me, was enough to get to a mechanic for an easy repair. This is why I prefer to be in cell range at all times!

There's been great practical advice here, and YES you can really do it! Even though sometimes I feel like a newbie even after 2 years, I think this life takes a balance of a certain amount of calculated risk balanced with conscious caution. If I'd waited until I felt like I had every contingency covered I'd still be sitting bored in an apartment. This lifestyle and tribe has provided so much mentoring, help and support when I've needed it, and every problem had a way of working it's way out. Safety and security is really an illusion anyway, even sitting behind closed doors can bring discomfort and danger! As Stargazer said in this thread, " If a breakdown does occur, you will handle it, just like you have handled all the other challenges you've had in your life so far. "When you get out there, you'll discover strength and courage you never knew you had! ~ Mary Ellen  

Hi there! I’m about ready to hit the road during the fall months. Saw your post and that you were in NY. Was just up there in the Adirondacks last month. Was my first time. Had a great time.

Do you travel anywhere else on the east coast?

In six decades of life on this planet one of my most valuable lessons learned is this: The things I fear the most rarely happen.

If you are prepared and careful you should be fine. It will be an amazing adventure!

JeanInaBox said:
Hi there! I’m about ready to hit the road during the fall months. Saw your post and that you were in NY. Was just up there in the Adirondacks last month. Was my first time. Had a great time.

Do you travel anywhere else on the east coast?

Hello! I'm in LOVE with the Adirondacks, I grew up not too far from the mountains and camped there every summer. This year I didn't travel the East coast, but maybe on another trip would like to get to the ocean! There doesn't seem to be much nomadic activity in the Adirondacks, not like out West anyway.