Can I just say this about Bob?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LERCA

Reaction score
Please don’t bicker, argue or disagree I just want to post for the newer people that I am not part of the Cult of Bob. I disagree with a lot of his philosophy and everything else. I don’t even like his beard. LOL But I couldn’t care less about his philosophy or what he does with his money or anything else. He helped me me I was not long healed from cancer, absolutely alone without a single skill and not a clue how to live in a vehicle. And in teaching me how to live in my car and telling me I had nothing to be ashamed of, he gave me my dignity back. I learned so much from his videos (and Suann too) I’m so grateful. I will never be that scared person again. I might not have the skills so many on here have but I know I can survive. I know how to survive. And thank you Bob for bringing together a community of nomads who help and support each other. That’s priceless. You don’t have to be someone’s twin to like, appreciate and respect them and that’s how I feel about Bob. Fair winds and following seas, sir.

LERCA - thank you for what you just said about Bob. A lifelong friend of mine just died last month. We did not agree on a lot. We often came head-to-head in debates. But as I told his family you don’t have to always agree with somebody to love them. I don’t agree with Bob‘s philosophy about a lot of things, but I do appreciate what he’s done for our community. I will always consider him the best friend I never met. Maybe it’s good we never met then our differences wouldn’t come to a head.:). God bless the nomads especially Bob Wells.

Funny Nature Lover because I sometimes disagree with your posts yet I always read, enjoy and respect every single onethem. I’m a fan in other words even though we’d disagree on certain things.

I find most people on this forum are more than willing to share their knowledge (most of it over my head) and pretty much gave me back my trust in the kindness of human beings. I’ve gotten such nice messages on here both public and private and help whenever asked and we’re here because of Bob. So I apologize if I’m “bickering” or whatever DesertRangerDude I love you too and some day I’ll tell you about some of our secret gold mines. You probably know them but whatever.

I don’t like the cult word because I look at this more as an online and often times in person community. For the most part people are a pretty “community oriented“ bunch. I think Bob and Susanne are thrilled at the way the community works together and such... at least that’s how I read them. I know if it wasn’t for the participation of many this wouldn’t be near the community it is. It’s the LERCA’s and Nature Lover’s out there that make this all what it is. Bob showed his heart and in touching other hearts it has grown to quite a deal.
As far as his beard... he wears it well and some of us definitely would not be very pretty without at least some facial hair. Haha!

LERCA said:
I’ll tell you about some of our secret gold mines. You probably know them but whatever.

What secret gold mines? I need to write myself a reminder to invite LERCA to YARC Camp OFTEN.

LERCA - there was an old radio preacher who preached with a Texas “drawl”. He had a dry sense of humor and some people thought he was serious when he said this

“You may disagree with me if you want, you have every right to be wrong.”

Of course those remarks were never meant to be taken seriously he was just pulling peoples strings. I always thought it was even more funny when somebody Got all hot mad about it.

I think the mark of a good person isn’t whether they agree with others. A quality person can be seen by how we treat those we don’t agree with. I’ll end with another quote from a wise old man who happened to be my grandfather.

“It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice”.

In a very recent video, Bob said that the majority of his viewers are probably not on the road yet. He is probably right but what has been created by Bob, Suann, and lots of other people including you is a community of people who want to help one another. We don't have to agree with one another all the time but we should (and mostly do) respect and help one another.

Even though I think Bob should use his popularity and media platform more to promote environmental causes (related to reducing future global warming), I respect his right to make his own decisions. He may be preparing the people of America (north & south) for a nomadic future and this may be more important than stating environmental points of view. Human society is destroying the soil, polluting the water, adding plastic to the environment, etc.; the "carrying capacity" (for humans) of the earth is decreasing. I don't see how 8 billion people can be fed 100 (or 1000 if you prefer) years from now. The survivors of the mess humans have created may need to migrate to the north of Canada in the summer and the south of Mexico in the winter to survive in 100 or 200 years. Bob may be showing us the way forward. I wish there was something we (humans who care) could do to prevent more serious climate change but I am not hopeful.

Cammalu LOL he’s one of the few rock hounds I’ve come across as passionate as I am about it and I’m sure knows far more secrets than I do. I was just joking. I’ve heard some things passed from person to person but not seen with my own eyes. But I’ll share what I know. I mean if you have the patience for the work you deserve the rewards.

SLB_SA said:
In a very recent video, Bob said that the majority of his viewers are probably not on the road yet. He is probably right but what has been created by Bob, Suann, and lots of other people including you is a community of people who want to help one another. We don't have to agree with one another all the time but we should (and mostly do) respect and help one another.

Even though I think Bob should use his popularity and media platform more to promote environmental causes (related to reducing future global warming), I respect his right to make his own decisions.

I see Bob primarily as providing an invaluable resource for those who need to learn nomad-specific life and survival skills, whether they are already on the road or planning to go.

yea, want info on a diet change for health you pick a person and learn and evolve onto others.
you want info on diesel engines for your truck you find the guy on the 'net that floats that boat.
You want info on boats, a certain type like sailing vessels for living on board fulltime you find that guy.
Bob is the van dweller info guy and we have to thank him for putting it out there just like any other category of life we would like 'to learn' and value.
A person sharing valuable info thru expertise and experience to help others who might be open to the info.

I find it pretty troublesome that so many people seem to have issues with Bob's "philosophy" considering it's 95% about being kind and helping humanity. I'd love to know what is so horrible about that that you want to distance yourself from it.

you put that well
99.9% of the time it is ON the one who shares and not about the other :) :)   Who is judging must be taken into big acct too LOL  We judge the person chatting it out and being vulnerable yet we never think 'about WHO just is doing the judging?' :)

If the bickering starts then this thread will be shut down. So please don’t. I respect and appreciate Bob.
We each are entitled to our opinions and I want to thank this entire website ( which exists because of Bob) for helping each other and being the best resource in existence for travelers.
That’s all. I’ve gotten advice, offers of help, invitations to join a group etc I’ve seen other people sent money and their rigs patched up for free, information shared that might ruin it for the sharer but they were that unselfish. I never experienced this in my sticks and bricks life and I lived in a pretty tight knit place.
Frankly at my age (and you probably missed where I posted about my life the last ten years: an accident that took 7 years to walk again, my first new car totaled, loss of my life savings due to illness, cancer, a fire and the loss of two dogs-one in the fire there’s more but that’s enough)

So frankly while I have a philosophy it’s not at all important in the grand scheme of things. What matters Katt is I came here broke and broken, terrified and ashamed and only 100% because of this site and Bob’s videos am I ok and can take care of myself. I’m not scared anymore. So I wanted to thank him.

I can no longer live in my car my back and my dog’s back are too bad but I’m hoping to get a van and see the country and maybe even thank some of these nomads in person. Please don’t get my thread shut down.

I'm not sure how the observation and question I posed would be considered bickering and get your thread shut down. I asked an honest question. I legit don't understand your position, but you don't need to explain it. 

As far as what you've been through, I can appreciate that and my partner and I have also been through a lot, which is the major reason we are doing this nomad thing ourselves. We came within a few days of foreclosure after losing both our jobs. I was forced out of my career because of who I am. I've been struggling with a heart that at best half-functions on a good day for most of my life and it put me in the CCCU in 2003. My 45 year old partner had his hip replaced last year after fighting workers comp since 2013, when he got in a car accident while delivering pizza-- a gig he took so we had some kind of income at the beginning of that really dry time. So, I get it. And I've a lot of reasons to hate on humanity, honestly. As a trans person, I get shit on non-stop in this country. But I'm still very much an advocate for kindness, giving, humility and inclusiveness, which from following Bob's videos for well over a year now, is the best I can figure is his philosophy. Forgive my not understanding what the problem is with that, I guess. I do wonder why you couldn't just thank him instead of making it very clear that you're not part of his "cult" and don't agree with his philosophy. Seems like you could have just thanked him and left that out, but you did include that and then requested that no one discuss that point, which to me seems pretty disingenuous. But whatever.

No reason to shut the thread down. I'm not arguing. I'm discussing.

ETA: That's the last I'll say on it. You do you.

no shut down on the thread I see, we all agree, Bob puts forth good info for those who needs, cool thing.

I think the original post used the word cult in it LOL It is fine to say thanks for the help of direction of any of us need thru others on the internet and thru life experinces they shared, etc. Some suit us like minded well and others we shy from or disagree to whatever level.

I find this thread OK if ya ask me LOL

there is no any 'don't go there' issue on this thread I am reading :) All good.

I don't want to censor this thread, and I'd sit down and have a drink/meal, fun time with the OP and anyone else here.

RoamerRV428 said:
I think the original post used the word cult in it LOL  It is fine to say thanks for the help of direction of any of us need thru others on the internet and thru life experinces they shared, etc.  Some suit us like minded well and others we shy from or disagree to whatever level.
I thought the phrase "Cult of Bob" was stated with tongue firmly planted in cheek.  I have a tremendous amount of respect for Bob and what he has accomplished.

Yes, the word “cult” was absolutely my sense of humor which I try hard to control since some people find it sarcastic and don’t like it but it slips out sometimes.

He is a beloved figure among many but still human and has been honest often in his videos about his own flaws (another thing I appreciate) even though yes, I don’t agree entirely on certain issues and that’s ok.

True nomads are far too independent to be part of a cult anyway. I think that’s what I like best about the people on here is that they blaze their own trails and don’t care what others think. I find most of the people on here fascinating. I think often people misunderstand. I have only respect but if you’ve been on here long enough you’ll see that misunderstanding often leads to arguments and a good thread shutting down over a complete misunderstanding. Katt, I’m sorry for what you’ve been through. You seem like an interesting person with some great stories to tell and if we ever met in person you’d understand me better than in writing. I hope you’re happy on the road and if our paths cross I’ll invite to have a beverage and trade stories. Much love to you.
Blessings to all, healthy engines, sunshine and happy highways.

So happy that you were able to find help then hope  :)
Welcome to the "cult" which I call the amazing community of CRVL / Howa.

P.S I like Bob because Bob has guts! To go on youtube multiple times every week and open your life for all to see takes guts. I do believe Bob lives his life as an open book and there are very few people who would do this in an effort to help others.