CAMPER EXPLOSION

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep, a 1 lb green canister was leaking. This is the reason you should have a gas detector installed even if you are not using one of the larger sized propane tanks.

The article says a 1 pound leaking tank.. good grief.. how does that small of a container possibly not air out. People in and out all day I would imagine.

The amount of damage shown in the pictures I can hardly fathom how a 1 pounder did all of that.

I am glad they are going to be alright.

This is why I hesitate going to meetups and gatherings. I'm sure everyone is nice and friendly, but how am I to know if that person that parks near me has a leaky propane tank, especially since having a propane stove seems to be the norm for nomads? Not sure how space between camps works for these events, but is there anything I can do to protect myself?

I read of a recent incident somewhere in the National Forest around Flagstaff, where somebody's homemade trailer caught fire in the night with several propane tanks inside. Videos showed jetstreams of fire like a rocket launch, one flame shooting out horizontally along the ground at least 50 feet. Reportedly there were a number of nomads camped nearby and some had to scramble to get out of the line of fire.

desert_sailing said:
The amount of damage shown in the pictures I can hardly fathom how a 1 pounder did all of that.

Well, the propane explosion touched off their meth lab.

I have a hunch most propane explosions/fires/asphyxiations are the fault of the device the tank is connected to, the fittings, hoses, or piping.

Back when I used a 5 gallon tank, I turned it off first, then the stove or heater. And I usually disconnected the hose. I don't trust the valves on the devices. After six years I realized I don't use much propane, so I gave away the tank and now use the bottles, which get disconnected after use so I can pack things away.

I have an onboard propane tank for my builtins but carry the bottles too. I have a little propane grill that uses them. Whenever I unscrew one from the grill I give it the sniff test after it has sat outside while I put the grill away. I store the grill and the tank inside but I do have a working rv propane detector. Not gonna trust a cheap household model not made for the rigors of travel with my life.

that propane leaked into a much larger container making it a much larger bomb. add the right amount of oxygen and a spark and KABOOM. remember the fire triangle. they are lucky nobody was seriously hurt.

my guess and this is only a guess, it was a refilled 1 pound bottle and it had a slow leak.

highdesertranger

It doesn't have to be a refilled bottle. I use the small tanks on my torch which gets removed after I am done with it. I had to replace the last tank because the repeated on/off cycles caused it to leak. I use it daily at times but only long enough for heat shrink, so the bottles last a long time.

When I finish cooking I turn off the stove valve and the tank valve and observe the flame going out.  I leave the propane tank connected.  Why do people disconnect the tank?  If there are 3 valves in a row you need at least one to actually shut off.  If you disconnect the tank removing two of the valves then the one remaining valve must not leak.  If it leaks and there are still two more valves that are off then there's no gas leaking into the air. 

Why do people disconnect the tank?  I am curious.  Those who do disconnect, why do you do that?

To stow the grill, the tank must be removed from it. That leaves the little tube connected to the tank with its' valve to stop the flow (the one in the tank is full on because of the tip that sticks in it). I take the metal tube off the tank because it takes up too much room when connected to the tank to store it easily. These last two are automatic and have no knob for shutoff.

Trebor English said:
 . . .  Why do people disconnect the tank? . . .

I remove the regulator and delivery tube from the green bottle because leaving it on would expose the delivery tube to damage; it is very easy to crack the tube where it connects to the regulator.  Plus it takes up way too much room to store.  And it still leaves the pressure relief valve open to the room - so I would need to store it in a vented cabinet anyway.

I do use a brass sealing cap for the bottle, but the bottle can still vent propane out the relief valve (and you definitely don't want to seal the relief valve!)

https://www.amazon.com/Gimiton-Refi...or+green+propane+bottle&qid=1591887332&sr=8-9

Thanks for the reminder. I knew they existed and used to have some way back when. Just ordered some.

This reminds me why I feel it's safer to do my cooking outside the van.  I set up my 2 burner Coleman stove on the ground or on a table when I get to my campsite.  I leave the small propane bottle attached to it.  It stays outside the whole time. 

Once I found that my propane bottle got empty real fast...discovered there was a leak in the regulator connecting the tank to the stove.  If it had been inside the vehicle when this was happening, that could have caused a problem.  As it was happening outdoors it was less of an issue.

I have a Gas One dual fuel stove that I run on propane. It comes with a hose with a small regulator for use with 1 lb bottles. A few weeks ago as I'm sitting in my camper I hear a loud bang that I thought might be a pinecone hitting the top. I start to smell propane and find that the small regulator has exploded, blowing off the plastic diaphragm cover and spring.

I really like the Gas One stove but if you have one, be careful. The replacement hose/regulator leaked from the vent hole, enough to empty a 1 lb bottle overnight. Clearly they have a quality control and safety issue.

I have had one pound propane bottles leak when the attached appliance is removed. This happens frequently when appliances are left connected for long periods of time, then disconnected. Because of this, I leave my campstove attached to the canister for the duration of the canister's life. The stove's valve is a heavy-duty chunk of brass connected directly to the tank, so failure is unlikely even in the case of extreme impact. The valve "sticks" firmly when turned off, so accidental opening is also unlikely.

I have a manufactured RV, so it came with a propane leak detector, which does work. It isn't perfect, and it can be set off by spraying body powder or any number of things (even animal flatulence, I have heard). But I consider it essential because it would go off if there was a propane leak in the camper. If I built out a van myself, I would probably include a propane leak detector, which is placed low (at floor level).