BUYING LAND

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain

Reaction score
Maybe you shouldn't buy the cow if you get the milk free, but does anybody know of some cheap land for sale? I want to homestead, or live off the grid. At least have a base from which to travel.  :cool:

Very important to be aware of: Land use regulations are usually pretty restrictive wrt septic etc, and what is allowed will change over time.

Next to some industrial plants in KY & WV is fairly cheap.

captain said:
Maybe you shouldn't buy the cow if you get the milk free, but does anybody know of some cheap land for sale? I want to homestead, or live off the grid. At least have a base from which to travel.  :cool:

Landwatch.com

Wanderer said:
Landwatch.com

Isaiah 5:20 King James Version (KJV)
20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

captain said:
does anybody know of some cheap land for sale? I want to homestead, or live off the grid. At least have a base from which to travel.

I've been thinking the same thing. Been looking for land mostly around Nevada and using this site: https://www.ruralvacantland.com/

They say that using the land for RV isn't going to cost you anything extra. It's usually when you run electric and start putting up structures that change the way the land is taxed. Most places I have looked at are 20-80 acres for <$10,000 and the taxes are less than $100 / year.

A Savage Adventure said:
I've been thinking the same thing. Been looking for land mostly around Nevada and using this site: https://www.ruralvacantland.com/

They say that using the land for RV isn't going to cost you anything extra. It's usually when you run electric and start putting up structures that change the way the land is taxed. Most places I have looked at are 20-80 acres for <$10,000 and the taxes are less than $100 / year.

Have you found any that you're seriously considering?

It is not uncommon for a County to have no building code requirements. That could always change, and would in fact be a sign of increasing property values. Neighbors who are also van dwellers would be a big plus for me, and I have fairly constrained limits on elevation, high and low.

Pahrump Nv. You can legally live in an RV on your land for 6 months a year. That being said, I know a guy within sight of County offices that hasn't gone anywhere in a couple of years. I helped him build an earth dome hut for his generator. If the structure is less than 200 Sq' you don't need a permit to build a structure but you are not legally allowed to live in it, (for storage only).
There is a Walmart and Home Depot here, so we are not wilderness. Some lots are real cheap as they are too small for a well or septic and utilities have not run lines to them so you have to be self sustaining. You could probably rent one of those blue outhouses or take your stuff to the dump, There is no charge for residents at the landfill as the fees are taken out of property tax.

captain said:
Have you found any that you're seriously considering?

Actually, I did! I found several that were 40-acre lots. However, I wasn't clear on how cold the weather got in those areas of Nevada and I wanted to visit them first. Of course, you snooze, you lose. Just checked the site and it looks like there's nothing in Nevada, currently.  

:blush:

DLTooley said:
It is not uncommon for a County to have no building code requirements.  Neighbors who are also van dwellers would be a big plus for me.

When I looked at the satellite views of most of the sites I checked out, some had neighbors who appeared to be living completely off the grid. I could see several solar panels in some of these places. But they're literally several miles from the main highways. And of course, they had roughly 20-40 acres around them. Not much privacy. Most of that part of Nevada is desert Sage and not much else. A handful of trees here and there.

Still, I was interested. I will keep looking.

DLTooley said:
It is not uncommon for a County to have no building code requirements.
The State often requires towns / counties to regulate for septics even if they don't want to.

DannyB1954 said:
Pahrump  Nv. You can legally live in an RV on your land for 6 months a year. That being said, I know a guy within sight of County offices that hasn't gone anywhere in a couple of years. I helped him build an earth dome hut for his generator. If the structure is less than 200 Sq' you don't need a permit to build a structure but you are not legally allowed to live in it, (for storage only).
There is a Walmart and Home Depot here, so we are not wilderness.  Some lots are real cheap as they are too small for a well or septic and utilities have not run lines to them so you have to be self sustaining. You could probably rent one of those blue outhouses or take your stuff to the dump, There is no charge for residents at the landfill as the fees are taken out of property tax.

Do you have a link for looking?

Zillow, trulia,etc. The guy I refereed to bought his lot for $2,000 I believe, so just because an add says more, it is all negotiable. There are also tax lien sales every year.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...,-114.893647,35.748741,-117.305146_rect/8_zm/

https://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Pahrump,NV/LOT|LAND_type/price;a_sort/

I believe there is a new ordinance that says you have to buy water rights to sink a well and the lot has to be 1/2 acre. This greatly reduces the value of the empty lots. ask the realtor or contact person. There is lots of BLM land to camp on while you look.
I would consider buying a dilapidated mobile home that has well and septic.

What DannyB said. We own 10 different 1/2 acre lots in Demming Ranchettes. We can camp on them for less than 30 days without a permit .  30 days or more and you are out of luck if you do not have water and sewer and electric on site first. Then it is only for a max of 240 days in a RV. We do use them for camping on to get away beings we are working in Deming. They are pretty cheap. Nothing there. I guess if we wanted we could move from lot to lot and make a year of it .
     If there is a place you are interested in go to the counties website and down to GIS maps and you can see who owns what. That is how we found these. Owner was from IL. and didn't want them but we had to buy all ten. Did everything with  notaries ,title company here in town and Fed Ex. Taxes on each one is 15.00 a year. On the ones we camp on the most we see one car a day going to work and coming home.  No one around us but state and federal land.  Don't know how close they monitor them but there is a guy about 2 miles away who is putting stuff up without permits and has been doing it for what looks like a few years.