Bury a tire to get out

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always wrap a towel or something like it around the line under tension to help reduce the chances of something bad happening if something breaks.

One of the reasons you should take your time and consider worse case scenarios. Most people panic when they start to realize they are about to get stuck and make spur of the moment decisions that they hope will make the problem go away without doing anything to the vehicle such as I drove in with it this way using the accelerator pedal so I can keep going without letting the air out of my tires and just push the pedal harder. It is hard for most people to overcome the urge to try to run away when what they need to do is simply quit pushing the petal, get out, look under the car to see if anything is touching the ground besides the tires and let all but 10 or 15 lbs of air out of the tires or as much as they can without the bottom of the car touching the ground or the tire deforming so much it comes off the rim. Then clear as much dirt away from the tire in the direction of travel to form a ramp out of the hole you have made by spinning the tire. If the bottom of the vehicle is touching the ground you will need to raise the car enough to put rock/sticks or boards under the tires and dig enough dirt from underneath the car so the weight of the car is on the tires not the ground. Once you are out you will have to drive slowly and as little distance as possible until you refill the tires with air. The possibility of accidental damage and injury greatly increases when you start trying to pull the stuck vehicle.

Homeless in Canada said:
To pull the pin out wiggle it from side to side.

Gave me a little giggle there.

A method of constructing a ground anchor using star pickets is to drive three short lengths, in line, in to the ground at 45  degrees.    The top of the first is tied to the next pin where that next pin enters the ground.   Pull is off the first star picket, as close to the ground as possible.   The multiplying effect of the multiple pins helps resist pulling the first picket out of the ground.   Because the pins are not so far into the ground, they are relatively easy to dig out.

In scouts we used to use this principle for rope bridges. If the first one is not deep enough in the ground, they all come out.

highdesertranger said:
people say you can us a come along.  people who say that have obviously never used a come along  highdesertranger

I recently helped a guy in a large dualy box truck get out of a wash where he had buried himself up past his axle in completely loose sand ...  with a come-along.  Here's what we did:

We dug out the buried wheel and made a shallow ramp out of the sand. In the end, that hole was over three feet deep. We lined the ramp with large rocks, essentially building a cobble-stone paved road up out of the hole. We connected two nylon tow straps to the come-along and put a board under the come-along to keep it from getting buried. Fortunately, there was a convenient tree to chain the other end to. We cranked the come-along and tow straps as tight as we could get them and then inched a few inches out of the hole before the tow ropes went slack and the tires lost traction. Then we tightened the come-along again, and inched a few more inches out of the hole. Repeat a couple dozen times. We had to reposition the come-along a few times as we got farther and farther out of the hole, but he eventually made it. 

The whole process took three days of solid digging, rock hauling, and come-along cranking, but we made it.

highdesertranger said:
I have found that anything you can dive into the ground that gives you the strength to pull a vehicle out is almost impossible to get back out.  wiggle it from side to side doesn't cut it.  highdesertranger

then leave it there

Ticklebellly said:
Gave me a little giggle there.

A method of constructing a ground anchor using star pickets is to drive three short lengths, in line, in to the ground at 45  degrees.    The top of the first is tied to the next pin where that next pin enters the ground.   Pull is off the first star picket, as close to the ground as possible.   The multiplying effect of the multiple pins helps resist pulling the first picket out of the ground.   Because the pins are not so far into the ground, they are relatively easy to 
 those aren't strong enough. 
Go to Home Depot where they have all the cement stuff and get a 48 in concrete form pin hold the thing in your hands feel heavy it is you'll realize what I'm talkin about

Homeless in Canada said:
 then leave it there

Bad, bad form.  Practice "leave no trace".  How would you feel as you were getting ready to leave if someone on a bicycle took a spill there and impaled themselves on your negligence?  So many things can happen that you would be the cause of, even if you are not aware of them.  Shame, shame.

Homeless in Canada said:
 those aren't strong enough. 

The method has been plenty good enough.   A telecom tower rigging crew I once ran uses the method on a pretty well daily basis.    It is also the recommended method for tie down points for aircraft in cyclone conditions.   Been there, done that.   I guess experience with the method has given me the confidence using it.