Burnt pizza in Class-C oven

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderin.pat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Southern NM... currently living in an RV park
I've recently acquired a "new to me" rig. It's the first time I've had a rig with a functioning oven. So, I bought a frozen
thick crust Digorno's (sp?) pizza. Instructions say 400 degrees F, place on rack. Bake for 23 minutes. I bought a
thermometer so that I would not be counting on oven.

Set on 400, thermometer READS 400. I place pizza on middle rack.
10 minutes in, the pizza is smoking, setting off the smoke detector. The bottom is black!

I've baked and cooked since I lived on my own (college), but at 70 years, I'm getting lazy.
So, first attempt to fix this, I'm asking all of you super-knowledgeable and wonderful
people... ANYBODY SEEN JUNK LIKE THIS BEFORE????

If anyone has any suggestions on how to proceed, I'd appreciate it. Thanks,
Pat

You can buy a ceramic pizza stone to set it and other items on when baking in the oven that will help even the heat and protect/cook the crust. I'm definitely no cook but because the RV ovens are so small and the propane flame so close to the food items in our RV when cooking on higher temps it seems to help. Most modern religions frown on "burnt sacrifices"! Lol!!!

Last edited:
Ah the joys of RV ovens. The same thing can happen when you try to bake biscuits or cookies. You probably need to shorten that baking time from 23 minutes to 15 minutes and set the temp at 350f next time.

Make sure the flame is cycling on and off as needed to keep the oven at 350f or 400f. I assume you have done this....and don't keep opening the door to check the pizza, this will cause the burner to keep coming on, and this will quickly overcook the pizza. Just peek in a few minutes before the set 'done time'. Use a flashlight and open the oven door just enough to see if it is about done. (if your oven has a glass window make sure it's clean so you can see the pizza without opening the oven door)

If you have two oven racks, line the lower rack with a piece of foil wrapped around the center area, leaving some space for heat to pass up around the edges and use the upper rack, placed near the center, for baking.

You can also use a pizza stone made for RV ovens...if you love pizza and plan to keep trying to make this work:

https://www.minutemanpizza.com/best-pizza-stones-for-rv-oven

Last edited:
This is a gas oven issue.. flame is hot and in order to keep up to temp, it often gets too hot.... get a Pizza Stone, ans let the over preheat for a while prior to cooking.

Cheers

I'm a little jealous that your oven has a temperature control. We bought a small gas stove for the tiny house we've spent the winter in, and the oven control says "low" and "high". If set on low and the oven door is not opened it will keep right on climbing until it's a hot oven. Next winter I'm going to have a real stove here!

Oh, and we did do a Degorno rising crust in it last night that was really done in 1/2 the directions time.

I use a 12x12" floor tile set on the oven shelf to moderate the temperature swings. I also let the oven run for 20 minutes empty to make sure its evenly hot all over.

I'm a little jealous that your oven has a temperature control.
I'm jealous of your HIGH/LOW setting. My oven is three dog bowls stacked creatively. :) I use it for nachos, biscuits, etc. Regulating temp has been a serious issue and I still don't have it fully sussed out. Finally got the bottom scorching issue figured by using a disassembled pot lid I found at a thrift store.

I do lower-temp baking in the crockpot -- there's a small loaf of bread in there right now.

yea the darn rv ovens take a bit 'to learn' but when ya do they can produce good stuff. but darn they are a pain til ya 'get it' and figure it out....glad your fish sticks did well LOL

I only ever used the range/oven to purge the propane line, when I would forget to open the propane valve before turning on the water heater repeatedly, until it sinks in. D'oh!

I was thinking of pulling the range/oven out, until HDR posted the requirements for a vehicle to be an RV, and I would of have had to come up with another way to purge the line.

I use a visible orange tag to let me know that I haven't opened the valve, or that it's still open and I need to close it to move.

Latest posts