Building Hank

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyDogs

Reaction score
Continuing the build saga (found originally in the Newcomers section..) I have completed the floor prep, and am now laying the vinyl.  Went to the local home improvement store to find out the best solution to adhere it to the plywood.  Discovered the flooring I got at salvage prices is their top-of-the-line product.  Gosh darn.   :D  :cool:

Ok- on to the 'happeneds'

HankFloorPrep.jpg
Prepping the floor.

HankFloorFit.jpg
Taking a short break from trying to figure out how to fit the pieces.

HankFloor.jpg
Actual PSA adhered floor.  Really love how it looks and feels.  
It has a really thick foam backing, so it is forgiving, highly cushioned, and should provide some chill resistance.  

Things should progress much more quickly now that I finally have the interior cleared and the other time-sucks (house guests.. etc) are done with.

Attachments

• HankFloorPrep.jpg
    HankFloorPrep.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 85
  • HankFloor.jpg
    HankFloor.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 132
  • HankFloorFit.jpg
    HankFloorFit.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 166
Soon finishing the floor and adding privacy mirror-tint to the back windows.
Then removing the rear ceiling compartment panel and adding a roof draw fan!
Re-installing the bench seat (cheaper and easier than building and padding a new bed), getting a small desk, installing my small sink into the desk for kitchenette. Have a rockin' coleman stove, half-sized propane tank (2.5 gal tall), and connector.
Wrangling solar (see other post), have a line on batteries, and maybe a panel, have solenoid for alternator, still need charge controller and monitor.
Just got solar-usb 10kmAh power supply/battery bank for my phone and to run a usb fan or two, and it can charge my work light (this kind. LoveIt!! http://www.amazon.com/Might-D-Light-LED140C-Rechargeable-Worklight-Camo/dp/B00SK2O2C2)
Have many of the accoutrements of rv/road-life already, from decades of camping and roadtripping and previous rv ownership. Much of which will transfer to the van very well and usefully.

Very cool!!

Looks like you've got a good start and a "can-do" attitude to put it all together.

Welcome to the board!

I'm eager to see how you fit it all together. Always such fun to see creativity at work! And to see another of "us" hit the road. :)

Thank you Everyone- I really appreciate all the words of encouragement!
I am enjoying the build process, and really like how it will demystify how everything works.  This way, if something goes awry, I will know intimately how it went together and how to fix it!  :)  (wish I could say the same for the engine and tranny, etc - lol)

And it is nice to know that so many have gone before me.  And thankfully- they share their knowledge!!  It has made all this seem quite doable.  
HapiDanse.jpg
Thank you Bob for your vision and for sharing your lifestyle and forum with the world!!!!

Attachments

• HapiDanse.jpg
    HapiDanse.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 21
I want those front seats for my 18 wheeler. They look comfy like lazyboy recliners. [emoji597]

They are not bad, MilkHauler-  A bit old and tattered, but I found velcro sided seat covers for them.  (also a slate gray.)
JSeatComfy.jpg Jas says they are comfy.

I Do however- have the mid-row seats (swivel base) in storage- they are for sale- at OBO prices.  I will not be needing them, and I figure someone may be able to at least use the swivels.  (Oregon, Pac.NW) Just msg me.

Attachments

• JSeatComfy.jpg
    JSeatComfy.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 55
Swivel base for my front passenger seat on my wish list. Darn, I'm in Ohio. :) Jani

I have discovered something I Hate doing.
Putting mirror tint on vehicle windows.
It is basically wrestling with saran wrap coated in postit glue. Awful..
The bubbles, the lint.. sheesh.

GypsyDogs said:
I have discovered something I Hate doing.
Putting mirror tint on vehicle windows.
It is basically wrestling with saran wrap coated in postit glue.  Awful..
The bubbles, the lint..  sheesh.
I love the description!

Sorry, I know it must have been terribly frustrating but that description just makes me laugh!

I feel the same way about putting the screen saver sheet on my new phone. No lint but plenty of bubbles! I can't imagine doing it to a whole window!

Honestly AT, I was trying to be funny.  So yeah- go ahead and laugh.  :)

I haven't even tackled the larger rear windows, I have only done the smaller (rearward) barn-door window.. and I already hate it.
On the plus side- I found a source for a roof rack assembly, made of steel, so my welder friend can extend it above the high-top.  So I can mount my solar array!  Woooo!

gypsydogs when cuting the viynyl to but up aginist another section line up the patterin and over lap them and cut both at the same time and any non straight lines will match the section that is on the botom and when both cut sections are removed you will have a perfect match.

Great advice travlinman, but a little late for me.  
Floor is done. lol
I had to cut it with heavy duty scissors, and the slight variance of grip and such caused tiny gaps (nickel thickness at the worst)

I don't think I did a bad job tho..
I filled the gaps with some matching silicone. (which I can also use during the solar instal, and other places)
Before--Vinylgap1.jpg

After--Vinylgap2.jpg

I think, if the camera can't pick up the fix from a foot away, I can live with it. :D

Attachments

• Vinylgap1.jpg
    Vinylgap1.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Vinylgap2.jpg
    Vinylgap2.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 21
Looks great! I tried my hand at window tint once, now I always just pay a tint shop... It is an art form to install it perfectly!

The build continues.
Due to near 100` heat, most of my 'building' is currently indoors.  ;)
I have acquired a good roof rack for my solar, but need my welder friend to add about 5" of height to surpass the high-top.
She is currently sick, so that will have to wait a few more days.  Today, I will be sorting through and organizing the pile of useful things that may be going in the van.  eg: Bedding, lights, storage containers, certain personal items.. etc.

Now if I can just find a small desk to make into a simple kitchen unit.  I have about 4' of floor to work with.. hmm.
I have all the rest of the kitchen build, and I thought the desk would be the easiest part.  ha

Also- on the side, taught the dogs to drink from public outdoor fountains. One just puts her feet up and drinks like a normal civilized creature.. the other, well- he is more creative. He decided it was easier to put the Whole dog up to drink.
LOL
creativeJ.jpg

(I figure since these are outdoor fountains, and I have seen All Sorts of Nasty Things in/on them.. a few dog footprints are not going to hurt anyone. Besides, if you are licking the bowl of the fountain, you have worse things to worry about than dog prints.)

Attachments

• creativeJ.jpg
    creativeJ.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 39
I hear you on the 100 degree weather putting a damper on construction - we've had humidex readings in the 100 area and I'd dash out to do some work, retreat to the cool of the house, down a bunch of water, do 5 minutes work most of it spent wiping sweat off my brow, rehydrate, retreat to the house, rinse and repeat. Took me 8 hours to do about 2 hours of work.

Love the pic of the dog using the fountain. I like creative means to an end that some of them are capable of figuring out!

Have you thought about getting a desk unit in a box like the Sauder units?

I always see a bunch of desks at the two ReStores I go to. You might try going there for something that fits. I was thinking that a solid wood coffee table top would make a nice kitchen counter. I've seen a lot of them that look like they weigh over a hundred pounds :D

Anyhoo, good luck in your search!