Budget motorcycle luggage system

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilekev

Reaction score
Here's a few pics of the luggage system I mounted on my bike. <br /><br />&nbsp;Not exactly pretty but it gave me the chance to experience motorcycle camping without breaking the bank. Also pretty handy for going to town and getting groceries.<br /><br />&nbsp;The tubing's 1/2" EMT and the suitcases were 6$ at Goodwill.

Nice job on the improvised luggage system. It's not overly important how it looks but how functional the system is as well. Plus, for $6.00 you can't beat the price.

Thanks Pic,<br />&nbsp;It's worked out fairly well. I just have to keep it all from vibrating apart!<br /><br />The suitcases were actually $6 each. It was about $20 altogether (not counting the second light)

Those look great!&nbsp; You should see the crapt I got on my bike..(of course...her name is Fugly!).<br /><br />Rae

Vintage suitcases, looks good. As for vibrating apart, how about flat nylon straps you can pick up cheap in Wal Mart or other camping isles. I think they are just a few bucks.<br /><span style="color: #ff00ff;"><strong>Dragonfly</strong></span>

I paid about $100 for my softside cordura nylon bags.&nbsp; New price.&nbsp; That fit my Honda 1300 nicely and look nice too.&nbsp; Still a lot more expensive than the do it yourself that you have there.

I just need to swap out the lockwashers for nuts with nylon inserts. That seems to solve the problem with the bolts coming loose.

That looks fantastic, and good call on using samsonites! Those things can be brutalized and hold up forever.<br /><br />

<p>Very nifty!&nbsp; I happen to have a few of those exact suitcases and I didn't know what I was going to do with them.&nbsp; I think I know now!&nbsp; Thanks for sharing!</p>

Very cool...very "Poverty Rider"...worthy! In my eyes utilitarian knocks pretty in the dirt! Good work and great recycling!<br>Bri

Thats the biggest problem I have with&nbsp; my bike. I just can't ruin the looks of it with something that doesn't "FIT" and "LOOK" right on it.<br>&nbsp;Sorry about the poor oic, it's from a cell phone but it's an antique sportster.

wild e you are dating yourself.&nbsp; I have not heard that term in 30 years.&nbsp; nowadays enduros are called dual sports.&nbsp; I still call them enduros though.&nbsp; highdesertranger

Yea, and the "harley owners " problems are something I'm getting weary of and have been looking for the right bike to replace it with. There just doesn't seem to be any reasonable bikes that will foot the bill for my wants/needs. I, hopefully, have plenty of time to decide what I will do when I need to do anything so I just ride the sportster a couple of times a week and keep looking.

That looks very similar to some factory cases I had on a Suzuki GS 1000.&nbsp; Talk about a monster bike!&nbsp; I could have moved half my house in one trip on that thing.&nbsp; Had a big windjammer faring on it that I could put my purse, pistol, mag-light, dogs water bowl, a map, some tools to work on the bike, extra bottle of gatorade and a few other things depending on the trip.&nbsp; The suitcases were really nice when I stayed in motels.&nbsp; I just detached them and took them into the room.&nbsp; I finally got tired of my shoulders hurting from the handle bars being so far away and got a Kawasaki Vulcan that actually fits my body instead of trying to fit my body to the bike.<br><br>Very cool modification Mobilekev!&nbsp; Any plans on putting some kind of back or pole on the tubing so that you can stack up camping supplies between it and your back?