broke my foot 2 months into van life.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giggles

Reaction score
Well, 2 months into van life, I broke my foot. So, I guess my van life was a short one.

I might need surgery on my foot, and my mom found out she might need brain surgery.

I'm gong to be in a cast or a boot for a while, and my van is my only car. Anyone know if you can buy steps that slide out on a van, like RV steps steps slide out on an RV?

I'm thinking of renting out my van, to try to make money for the rest of the year..  Anyone ever rent out their van? If so, was it worth it? If so, how much did you charge? Did they damage it?

Thanks in advance...

Sorry to hear of your foot injury and your mom's need for surgery. I have a local friend who had brain surgery last September. Long recovery but he's finally becoming a bit more independent. Age 78.

You can consider this a detour and not the end of vanlife if vanlife is something you envisioned for a long term housing solution. I've been detoured for about a year but haven't given up on my original intention.

Perfect vehicle to make handicap accessible, somebody is bound to have a handicap van with a lift they want to trade for a well built out van. My wife uses one of those plastic folding stools with a 5' cord attached to the stool and a loop on the other end she can put around the door handle so she doesn't drop it while using both arms to get in and out as she has a permanently broken ankle and is short. Once she is in she lifts it up with the cord, folds it and lays it in the seat, when she gets out she unfolds it and uses the cord to wrangle it into place with the cord's loop around the door handle gets out, uses the cord to pull it up folds it and lays it in the seat. Don't drop the cord as it is a pain to pick up something on the ground while your foot is broken.

Sorry about your foot and your mama. I hope you find it all to be a detour rather than a roadblock.

Sending you good hippie style vibes, along with TA.

Don't any more of you get hurt. I'm running low on long distance traveling good hippy vibes!

Yes you can get mtrorized retractable steps for vans and for trucks.

But first of all realize a broken foot is only a temporary inconvenience.

A retractable step will be expensive to install. It will reduce ground clearancem they can get damaged and bent. It wont be problem free as they get a lot of dirt flung up onto them from the road so cleaning and lubrication is important. Youhave to remember to retract it before you drive somewhere. If it is electric that means installing wiring and swirches for it which adds to the cost of installation. You should also have inside and outside grab bars, assist handle, installed along with the step as you need to steady youself with them when using the step. That will also add to the installation cost.

Van rentals are often run much llike a B &B. Website. You will have to clean it inside and out between customers. It will also require a different insuance coverage policy. Otherwise you will be essentially leasing it out to a rental agenccy who will do all that work and that will take a big bite out of the potential income. Then you will also need to keep lots of records for the IRS regarding your new business venture including things like depreciation.

You need to put more research into it before you decide if it is going to be worthwhile

So sorry on your issues and sending good vibes and great recovery for surgery issues and more.
wishing all of you the best!!

Life certainly has it's way of throwing us curve balls!!! I can certainly relate to your situation... I broke my Ankle in 2010, Mine was probably much worse, Still not at 100% and never will be.. I am sure you will have a full recovery..

And I hope you find good solutions for your van.. My heart goes out to you.

IMHO, renting out your van is begging for trouble. It's not theirs, so why do they need to be careful? Ask yourself one question: How will I feel if they wreck it?

Also, check your insurance coverage. Ask your agent to explain the difference between Replacement Cost (RV) and Actual Cash Value (ACV), and the difference in premium, for the event of a total loss.

I hope everything works out well, for both of you.

IMO it’s a huge risk to rent out property- especially rolling property. You may be stuck with enormous repair bills and who will assume liability? If it were me I’d try to manage the van with a broken foot. I see good ideas in the thread ?

I had been part time in for many years. My health has been declining now for the past 15 years (benign in-operable brain tumor with Parkinson’s like symptoms). I was sitting in a rest home for the elderly for one year boo-hooing over the fact that I never went full-time. I got up out of that Rocking chair and walked with my walker straight to the van full time. Since June 1, 2020 I have been full-time. I just got out of my third hospitalization in that year. The first one was five days for Heat stroke. Then in Florida it was one week in the hospital and seven weeks in rehab with a partial foot amputation. And just last week three days for 9 broken ribs when my van tried to hug a tree. I’ve been at a friends and sleeping on the recliner in their living room for several days but have now returned to the van full time I am Parked outside their back door. So I’m in the van but have the support of my friends. We just installed a nice grab rail at the side door so I can get in and out easier. And as a earlier poster described the plastic stool with the rope, I’ve been doing that ever since I got the van. I figure someday I’ll get an injury or illness that can’t be overcome And then they can bury me in this van but “Handicaps“can be dealt with, By ingenuity and effort, And in my case with God’s help.