Born a nomad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonSparks

Reaction score
Hello All. 
 Yes I was born a nomad. Long story maybe I'll tell it one day. :-/
I bought 1992 Olson Grumman P30 (Step van) in January of 2018. Along the way I've had a few hiccups, delays, royal screwups and other things. I'm now in the process of a full conversion. I was going to do a complete build thread which is still possible but I just can't figure out how to get my photos loaded up and I don't want to do a picture service.

I'm looking to talk with and plug-in with people in Georgia(home state for now) and across the country as I'm looking to go full-time in about 6 months. My situation is kind of unique in the fact that I've only got about 39 days until I have to leave where I am now. As like so many people today I have no safety net of friends and family as they are all dead and gone. So I'm looking for a living situation where I can either do security guard or do a handyman kind of deal for a place to park and complete my conversion. If you know of anything please don't hesitate to let me know. I do have references, tools and knowledge .

Right now I have a million balls up in the air and it's a bit overwhelming at times (Understatement of the year)but I plan to persevere. 

Thanks for your time.
     Truly Dave

Thanks Cyndi
You have taught me something new today I've never heard of WWOOF and workaway. As a person that loves to learn new things I strive to learn something new everyday. Since starting this new Endeavor my ability to learn new things is only been limited by the time that I can give to it. There is just not enough hours in the day to learn new skills or pertinent information while applying the ones already acquired.
As always thanks for your time.
Truly Dave

:) Hello DS and Welcome

Workamper News has at times offered free on line subscriptions and renewals.  I've received it on line free for about a year.

There is also {or was} Caretakers Gazzette.

Both have many different types of jobs and locations.

Good Luck

JewellAnn

Dave,  glad you made it here.  You'll find a job.  Just keep asking around too.  One thing to do, and that is to have your work gloves in hand when you go to ask for a job.  It tells them you are ready to work!   Don't neglect farm work too.  Oh man, rurally, farmers are begging for hired help.  They also sometimes have a little place you can park on their land...and maybe it might turn into something great, you never know.

Welcome from a fellow east coaster!
~Wasanah

Hi Yall.
Thank you all for your warm greetings and wonderful suggestions. I'm going to be checking into and following up on all that toot sweet.

Wasanah your suggestions were very pertinent and sound just like me talking to my ex's son(3 weeks ago) who is still living in basement. The catch is I only leave the house if I absolutely have to. I went out today for the first time in 2 weeks to return some stuff to Lowe's. The young lady asked for my receipt and I handed her 30. Needless to say she was not a happy camper. I was though they gave me $128 back and I let them have 30 of that back for some hardware

I've been the caregiver for my ex's Dad for last 3 yrs and next 38 days. Head cook and bottle washer. Part-time maintenance man in shade tree mechanic if I absolutely have to. I quit being the groundskeeper about 6 months ago.

Truly Dave
Born a Nomad

Hello everyone, boys and girls, friends and neighbors and all across land. I didn't know whether I should keep up with this thread or start a new. Dear moderators I leave that totally up to you.
Yes I know it's been quite a little while since I last posted. Thought while I had the time and a little breathing room that I would update my progress. First and foremost I got a reprieve from the governor (powers that be) until after Christmas. Thankfully. Seems that somebody had a crisis of conscience and couldn't have their father put in the nursing home until after the holidays or there was just no room at the nursing home now. Who knows?
What once started as a labor of love has turned into a necessity and something of a money pit. I work on her endlessly almost everyday after living up to my previously mentioned obligations and weather permitting.
I started this summer by replacing the complete front end. It only took me about three months and fought me every step of the way. About $1,200 later and more Blood, Sweat and Tears than I care to think about. That cut real deep into what little savings that I had but that was money I feel was very well spent. Especially considering the fact that two of the ball joints just came apart in my hand (yes actually and physically) as I was taking things apart. So I thank God (if you don't believe that's cool but I do) that I didn't kill somebody the day I drove it home that 68 miles.
In between those times of aggravation, trepidation and tears. I began stripping out the inside of my 1992 P30 (then new love) to build myself a nice little home. So with somewhat depleted funds and almost completely Broken Heart, I set myself to the task of finding as much Used, recycled, free or dumpster dive material as I could find to do my build. I have scoured every Surplus Warehouse, thrift store, Craigslist posting, Georgia Farm Bulletin, Freecycle you name it and I've looked. Blessings be there has been a lot of construction going on around my area and the police do not harass you for recycling. Where as one County over the police will lock up their own mother for jaywalking in a crosswalk while she has the light. I sheep dip you not...but I digress.
The only downside to dumpster diving is you have to be able to get your old butt out? Its hard enough to get in they give you steps for that but the downside is how the Hell-O do you get out. You see I'm 53 years old and I've had two hips replaced and I've got bad knees on top of that. Now before you call me an old fool which is all well and good I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. Please feel free to laugh at my expense God knows I have.
Truly Dave
Born a Nomad

Lol , ,I’m not laughing at you Dave I’m laughing for you , As a 54 yr old that has had a lung removed I know what it’s like . I get out of the car and walk 15 ft and have to slow way down or stop and catch my breath. I’m in Arkansas and will be hitting the road mid November early December for RTR, if your ready then and want to go that way let me know .

Hi Danny, it's okay to laugh at me, laugh with me or laugh for me it doesn't matter as long as you laugh. Yeah I truly wanted to be able to hit the RTR this year but that just ain't going to happen this time around. If all things go as planned about March or April I'll be headed further south all the way down to the Keys. Then by about September or October I'll be headed west and maybe hook up with one of those caravanning thingies. Wow lung removed that sounds rough kind of makes you wonder how John Wayne kept doing movies and his own stunts after having his removed.
Truly Dave
Born a Nomad

Dave , I was actually breathing good after my first 2 surgeries. The first one was the lung removal, the second one I got an infection and pneumonia, the third was another infection where the Doctor also took off some scar tissue on my right lung. They said he should have left that alone. But who knows, I’m just happy to have survived it. Mine wasn’t cancer it was a rare Desease. Hope to cya around

Danny it sounds like a rough ride! All I know is we can only take it one day at a time. If you're going to be out and about full-time and chances are good that we will run into each other along the way. I've been planning on doing this for the last 25 years but something or someone always seems to come along and get me sidetracked. I'm committed and determined to not let that happen this time. I'm hoping and praying to get my girl done by January. I'll be 54 and all I can say is what a long strange trip it's been. Still all-in-all I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Truly Dave
Born a Nomad