bLEEp-Mobile 2000 E450 shuttle build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bLEEp

Reaction score
i guarantee this will be a wordy thread, so hold on to your britches folks.
My dreams of travel began many years ago, when as a child in primary my father travelled N. America for work and would bring me home souvenirs and stories from his travels.  Eventually he had the opportunity (and an awesome company) that allowed him to bring his 7-10 year old son on business trips.  I can still remember putting on my little shirt and tie and feeling like I was hot shit getting on those airplanes.  My wanderlust never dissipated, in my teens my pals and I would pack into my late 80s dodge Omni 5 speed and hit the road just to see what we couldn't see.  
Later teen years found me following a little band known as The Grateful Dead across the east coast and Midwest.  As I aged and had children of my own I purchased a hobby farm in the Ozark mountains and turned it into a sustainable, safe place for me and mine.
I lost it all in divorce which is when I first truly became houseless.  That was 2011.
I couch surfed, slept in parks, tents in yards.... you name it I did it.
I was then diagnosed with adult onset epilepsy in 2014 and had both shoulders completely rebuilt as result of a TSA agent holding me down during a seizure in an airport.
I spent recovery time with family, got off the massive quantities of narcotics they were feeding me and met my amazing Mrs b.
Thankfully Mrs B and I both share the need to travel, camp and just be.
So we saved and saved and saved.  I count these forums and quickly made a couple very good friends, one of whom just happens to live in the same city as myself GotSmart.
We hunted and searched for vans and short busses.....
Then we just happened to answer a Craigslist add and found our baby.
She is a 2000 E450 V10 27' shuttle bus with 166xxx miles that had just been pulled from DVD in STL MO, my parents live there.  So we made the appointment, asked if we could crash at mom n dads and got on the road.
We got to the resale place and there she was.... all shiny and sooooo full of potential.
The one we bout was listed at 4500, I had three grand in 100 dollar bills in my pocket.  It was the last of four the guy needed to sell, he loved our story, and I found a couple minor issues  so he came down to 3, then 2500.  He asked if we needed the seats or wheelchair lift.  I said I'd sell em to him for 300.  So I got the bus for 2200.
We drove it home the next day and the fun begins.
First things first as I had nothing else to do I replaced the factory 6x9s and 5.25" speakers to kickers.  The six speaker stereo is awesome, we have a DVD/GPS pioneer head unit going in soon, but for now we have tunes. :)
I pulled all the interior lighting and upper corner panels to increase space and get to the ribcage steel to mount cabinets and what not.
Then I got in touch with GotSmart and we started chatting about the electrical system.
As of now it looks like there will be three Renogy eclipse 100 watt panels, 2ntrojan 6v house batteries at 315AH, controller and inverter are being discussed to see what renogy will make a decent deal on.  
GotSmart and I mounted solenoid and built the electric box yesterday, and today Mrs B and I are going to get lumber and stuff for the wardrobe where the fuse box will be mounted.
The wife is beckoning me to get ready, pics soon.
Lots of love from the bLEEps

:) Sounds like you guys got a really good deal!  I look forward to your build,  with a bus you have so many options.  In the late spring If I'm really lucky I may be traveling up your way.  After years of traveling from TX to SD and back I learned that just because it's flip flop weather in the south there may be snow on the ground where I'm headed.  Thankfully Queenie loves to travel and likes to look/hang out the window like a big hound dog.  She gets lotsa smiles at red lights. :)

Jewellann

Absolutely wonderful!! That there's a story you'll be telling around the campfire for many years! :shy:

I was able to attach one photo.  All the others are "to large".  I do not understand.  I am snapping pics with a cellphone camera...
I'll keep trying
bLEEp

Attachments

• IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
I have to resize all my photos before uploading them as a attachment. See if you can reduce the size before you take the image.

Here is one of us working on it.  I'm the guy with pointy ears.   ;)

Attachments

• kirk-and-spock-with-the-galileo.jpg
    kirk-and-spock-with-the-galileo.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 35
I had a small place in Tumbling Shoals Arkansas once, your not alone in your journey, welcome.

Thanks everyone.
Hahahaha GotSmart, they do look similar.
Solar is on the way here....
300 watts renogy "eclipse" panels, commander 40 watt controller with temp sensor and a pure sine 1000 continuous watt inverter. Taking all of the advice I have read I am buying two used 6 volt Trojan batteries at 315AH.
I am hoping to have the wardrobe complete today, the electric box in place and start thinking about building my amazing kitchen.
I will see if I can figure out how to resize some more pics for everybody.
Cold here in Missouri today, only 19 F at 0600. Brrrrrr
bLEEp

Not sure if it is available for phones but I use an app called Fotosizer on my W10.

bLEEp,

Happy to see your build thread. Sounds like a cool vehicle with a lot of potential. You're off to a good start.

As for resizing photos, I struggled with that for a while, and then found a cool little free Android app, simply called Photo & Picture Resizer, at the Google Play Store.

Simple to use, works like a charm.

Tom

P.S. - I resize every photo to 800 x 600, and that works just fine.

Thank you, sir.
I just wanted to send a shout out to GotSmart this evening.
This man has given his time and knowledge to us in such a gracious manner.
A rare quality in our times......
We got many things accomplished today.
The wardrobe in the rear drivers side that will hold the electrical box, controller, monitors and what nots was completed, with the help of GotSmart we created a fuse box, and the wife has been working on diagrams for lighting and other items as well as liquidating our possessions.
I learned so much about wiring a 12v system today. The knowledge I gained alone from Johns guidance is incredible.
We are all of a sudden on a tighter schedule than planned, so the help from GotSmart as well as my step son is much appreciated.
I have not had more than about four hours sleep per night in a few days so the accomplishments today are welcome. Hopefully I will rest well knowing I am one step closer to our dream.
I could ramble all night, I imagine John has a few photos from today to follow, still figuring how to turn the resolution down on the iPhone.
Be well all
Lots of love
The bLEEps
(Arik and Toni)

:huh:   I'm just doing this to keep from going stir crazier.   :D

Like Arik said, today we worked on the fuse box.  Before and after pictures of the set up wireing.  He bought lighted switches, so they needed to be grounded.  It is much easier to do the wireing with the box laying down than mounted on the wall.  

When the wires go into the box from the device, only two connections to be made, along with placing a fuse.  Everything numbered. 

On the box are 10 lighted switches, along with a 12v cig plug amd the phone/tablet outlet.  12g stranded copper wires.

Attachments

• bp1.jpg
    bp1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 26
  • bp3.jpg
    bp3.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 19
  • bp2.jpg
    bp2.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 24
  • bp4.jpg
    bp4.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 37
Hey my bus has curved walls hahaha.
I took all this time building a wardrobe/place to mount power boxes without taking that into consideration. Boy do I feel stupid.
I guess after we get her liveable we will have to frame everything out to be square.
Oh well, onward! Forward!
I have one month to have the whale be at least habitable.
bLEEp

Nice bargaining. Hope it all works out for you.
Those boxes are nice, but seems excessively big for some wires and switches.?

NEVER a straight wall in a vehicle (unless its a box truck).
Take some cardboard and template your wall curves and transfer that to the cabinets and trim with a jig-saw. It takes some fiddling, measuring, head scratching..but it all can work.

gargoyle said:
Nice bargaining. Hope it all works out for you.
Those boxes are nice, but seems excessively big for some wires and switches.?

NEVER a straight wall in a vehicle (unless its a box truck).
Take some cardboard and template your wall curves and transfer that to the cabinets and trim with a jig-saw. It takes some fiddling, measuring, head scratching..but it all can work.
Yea the box has my whole fuse box in there, 12 fuse ports, all switched as well.  Power comes in from the battery, goes through the fuses, then the lighted switches to lights and appliances.  Better to have a little extra space now than need to add down the line.
Hank you so much for the kind words, next I'm going to learn how to cut curves heheheh
:D
bLEEp

You're doin' just fine.
If you find scribing the square things to fit the wall curve too hard you can always shim the low spots ;>)

I would suggest duct tape, but Mrs bLEEp might not appriciate the humor.   ;)

This is something evert self builder discovers.  At least you have a basically flat rear wall to work out the template on.  :idea:

GotSmart said:
I would suggest duct tape, but Mrs bLEEp might not appriciate the humor.   ;)

This is something evert self builder discovers.  At least you have a basically flat rear wall to work out the template on.  :idea:

Meh, just tell the Mrs she gets to sew a few more curtains  :p
The damn thing reminds me more and more of a whale everyday.... Maybe I'll change my name to Jonah.
She sends her best to all, she's forum shy.

The bLEEps  :heart: