Bigfoot country~Oregon and PNW

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You won’t see Bigfoot. She/he has been furloughed as part of the government shutdown. Heard that Area 51 also shutdown.
Darn

crofter said:
Historic Columbia River Highway boondocking- and 20 minutes to Portland.

Take Exit 18 off of I-84 EAST of Portland from either direction.
There are some nice pulloffs along the Historic Columbia River Highway on the Sandy River side. Do not park under the cliffs as stuff falls off from time to time. Bridges turning off toward town should be considered one lane.
ADVISORY - These areas along the Sandy River are all posted now with "No Overnight Parking" and "Tow Away Zone" and all the RVers who were there yesterday are gone today. Sheriff has deputies enforcing this. FWIW, the overnighters kept a clean camp and were there for more than 14 days but less than a year. The state parks in this area are still nice stops for daytime, but close starting at about 8pm with gates. The artesian well mentioned has been fixed up and flows all year.    -crofter

I don't know anything about this thread and it's my first foray into it, but just wanted to mention ...

I am an Oregon dweller.

The signs they post regarding restrictions on your parking or stay can be TINY and fairly out of visual range to the casual driver. I got a more than $200 fine for parking once when I didn't notice a sign that was pretty darn small, mounted at perhaps belt level. I had honestly been carefully checking at the time. Somehow it zoomed right by me even at my chronically slowpoke rate of travel.

Cities etc. do love their fines. Dearly. And they can make it pretty dear to you indeed.

Please be extremely cautious. Not all these set-ups are put together in good will or with fairness or concern for you in mind. Sometimes ... quite the contrary...

Dingfelder said:
The signs they post regarding restrictions on your parking or stay can be TINY and fairly out of visual range to the casual driver.  I got a more than $200 fine for parking once when I didn't notice a sign that was pretty darn small, mounted at perhaps belt level.  I had honestly been carefully checking at the time...
East of Portland OR, the city of Gresham's mean spirited and super restrictive parking ordinances have been expanded throughout the whole county with the Sheriff's department enforcing.  Spots listed in this thread have been posted this fall "No Overnight"  and RV's kicked out who were camping; if you do camp, try not to overstay. To the bad, someone dumped their grey tank when leaving a prime spot by the Sandy River - don't do this it just makes us all look bad. Really after keeping a clean camp for all that time....  Recently I have had three sheriff's following me as I drove my pesky white van home. They finally gave up as I neared the county line, yes I live that far up on Hood. 

However, many of the closed campgrounds off I-84 along the Columbia River are now open again and there is less risk now from falling trees and slides. You will want to explore there (I-84 area) instead of the area of the Historic Highway (30). 

https://assets.gorgefriends.org/friends/PDFs/Recreation/I-84 exits.pdf

Correction to "I-84 Exits from east to west" the list starts near Troutdale and progresses eastward toward Hood River and The Dalles. ~crofter

My fave is exit 55, I love the views from there, but possibilities are nearly endless.  Also camp hosting / parks jobs at all of these places, and many area private campgrounds if you are better at lower altitudes.    ~crofter

crofter said:
https://assets.gorgefriends.org/friends/PDFs/Recreation/I-84%20exits.pdf
... possibilities are nearly endless.  Also camp hosting / parks jobs at all of these places, and many area private campgrounds if you are better at lower altitudes.    ~crofter
https://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=getinvolved.dsp_volunteerOpp&oppId=23426

There was a volunteer job at Bonnieville Dam visitor center host posted.  The job was for a Dam Host.   ~crofter

Volunteer.gov Search Results https://www.volunteer.gov/

www.blm.gov › press-release › blm-northwest-oregon-district-needs...

www.fs.usda.gov › detail › jobs › volunteer

The volunteer jobs should not require that much work (part time), and will come with benefits like a free site during the season, and some have additional benefits like propane and laundry. A full time host job is a paid position, also comes with free site, etc. Don't forget that trail crews also camp for free. There is much trail work going on in the Gorge area due to forest fire damage.   ~crofter

Completely different scene, I drive by this place on my way to Arizona.   ~crofter

[font=arial, sans-serif]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Valley,_OregonJordan Valley, Oregon [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]County[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]‎: ‎[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Malheur[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=arial, sans-serif]Elevation4,385′[/font]
[/font][/size]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Area2.081 mi²[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Weather30°F (-1°C), Wind N at 4 mph (6 km/h), 98% Humidity[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=arial, sans-serif]Population173 (2017)[/font]
[/font][/size]
Must be snowing there today.   ~crofter

Lake Owyhee State Park
[font=franklin-gothic-urw,]Camping  Apr 15 - Oct 31  Day Use  Year Round

Current weather [size=medium][font=myriad-pro,]Conditions: Mist
Temperature: 35° F
Wind Speed: 2.6 mph[/font]
[/font][/size]

Glad I finally discovered this thread, crofter, thanks for all the great links. I hope to get over to Oregon for a few weeks  next summer, :). My 2nd favorite state to visit.

Regarding those pesky sheriff's deputies, why didn't you just pull over and say hello? You're all neighbors, so good to get to know them. Maybe it's not the "van" they're following.

Qxxx said:
... great links.... 
Steens Mountain area seems like my kind of place, but I did notice poor cell service while travelling through. Eventually you get service though. Nice looking browns in that one video.   ~crofter

I do get Verizon service a couple miles up the south entrance on Steens Loop Road. Usually camp near a pond where the wild horses hang out.