Beware maskers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TravelingZombies

Reaction score
20210323_142517.jpgHad to come home for medical check up from numerous bug bites and lava rock wound. Still waiting to get my 2nd shot so I'm wearing a mask and found that parts of Idaho, S. Dakota and parts of Wyoming are prejudice towards maskers and was confronted a few times so beware of you travel to those states.
Being a nomad in a tent was next to impossible so started sleeping in drivers seat and developed edema in both legs so back home for medical care and to convert back of our 88 bronco 2 so we can lay down and hopefully be back on the road by July 3rd.
If you're heading out soon make sure you are able to sleep laying down and don't be surprised by the reactions of others if you wear a mask.

Attachments

• 20210323_142517.jpg
    20210323_142517.jpg
    476.5 KB
Darwin principle is at work, just wish it only affected those that make poor judgments. Seems it will take a few more spikes in younger populations from the latest and greatest form of Covid for some people to learn hopefully without another spike in deaths, them maybe people will get serious about beating this virus. Wish they had been around when everyone was working together to cure diseases, it was a much better world.

Sorry to hear you were not welcomed camping in ID, SD, & WY. That surprises me since I have camped all over SD & WY while fishing, hunting, & hiking. Times have changed.

Those states also have much lower vaccination numbers so be careful. You could try wearing a mask that does not look medical, like a fishing gaitor or a tube style dust mask for atv riders, might look more acceptable in those places. 

Altho masking regulations are lifted here in AZ, mask use is still widespread and people react if you are not wearing a mask. Stay safe.
-crofter

I wish there was a way to help these willfully ignorant people but they're fully engulfed in a cult. Teaching critical thinking in grade school might help future generations but any effort to do so is blocked by willfully ignorant politicians.

Those people probably talk a lot about personal freedom. Hey, I have the personal freedom to wear a mask if I want to.

The fishing and ATV masks that are marketed as "breathable" are only good to cover an N95 mask as they only turn droplets into a fine mist I was informed.

Your chance of being hit by a car while walking across a street with the WALK sign on is much smaller than your chance of contracting Covid 19.

I still prefer to look both ways before I cross the street.

Wearing a mask and keeping some distance is no more foolish than looking for traffic when the light says WALK.

It doesn't matter if the odds are 100 to 1 or a million to 1. I had meningitis once. The odds were staggeringly remote. I'm still living with the consequences half a century later. Just because Covid 19 is becoming more rare doesn't mean it will treat you any bettrer.

curious...what comments? good or bad? I mean if someone comments on you wearing a mask how bad could that be? Most got flamed and tore down for not wearing? wild you got comments on wearing one?

but ya know NOW they are saying if you did not get vacs then you should wear one so if 'that info is out there' and someone sees you with a mask, they might be thinking you didn't do the herd immunity and how f'ing dare ya do that?

ok not sure, just wondering on it.

sorry on the car seat sleep. Yes I feel many of us MUST get the full lie down for a great night rest for body and soul so it is super cool you are getting your stretch out of your body at night....we do need that.....hope it all works well for you and ya feel better fast and back out on the road for more adventures!!!

I know a fella that still sleeps under his Samurai on road trips! He usually breaks down, so no worries about someone stealing it and driving off over him! Lol!!!

There are definitely parts of the country where I will be extremely hesitant to travel into when I get on the road... In Washington State last summer, folks got terrorized with gun shots ... the felled trees to trap them in to where they were.... posee's of guys with guns ready to take law into their own hands... be careful out there....

on the ground. I hate on the ground any more in that the ants and creepy's just are something I don't like anymore....younger yea, NOW OLDER hell no HAHA...in a pinch yes I would sleep longer to stretch under a vehicle vs. if I knew a car seat would give me health issues, yup I would but darn if I wouldn't try to find ways to correct that real fast in my 'home life vehicle' LOL

ahhh, more won't shoot then shoot but darn if those areas ain't real. We still got 'Deliverance' issues out there all over the globe :)

Lol!!! Years ago growing up in Eastern Kentucky/Southern Ohio/Western West Virginia it was pretty common to go out into the woods to do all sorts of things legal and illegal. Hunters with dogs, moonshine and guns, kids with drugs growing and manufacturing the stuff with guns. People trying to protect their crops with guns. Biker gangs with guns and families that didn't like their neighbors with guns and flares. Law enforcement standard reply was "we will check it out in the morning." of course couldn't blame them they were being hunted in the daytime! Had a cousin get stuck in the spring on a back road in the Wayne National Forest had a bunch of drunk campers spraying bullets all around us. Got flagged down by two fellas in a car with bullet holes both with flesh wounds that had got lost at night and turned around in the wrong driveway. Highway Patrol was being ambushed when they came to a stop at the bottom of off ramps. Parts of this country have always had people with some radical beliefs.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I am going to modify my storage ability so I can have the back built for laying down.
I saw the doctor and she said to drink a lot of water and elevate my legs and it worked amazingly and this morning the swelling is almost gone. Also was advised to avoid salty foods as it could also cause swelling and did not realize how much salt was in the foods we chose to take with us.
It was good that we came home because someone had stolen some things from our house while we were gone but have resolved that issue as well and I can get my 2nd shot this Sunday. Marci opted to get her shot while we on the road and had no reaction to it (phizer) for her, Moderna for me. We have learned a lot so far and are going to be back on the road on July 2nd or 3rd at the latest and apply what we've learned to future success.
Hope to meet you all someday on the road, stay safe and enjoy the journey.

You might consider a slide out drawer with a table top out the rear hatch for a sleeping platform. Simply throw some bug netting over the open hatch and tuck it under the sleeping pad.

RoamerRV428 said:
curious...what comments?  good or bad?  I mean if someone comments on you wearing a mask how bad could that be?  Most got flamed and tore down for not wearing?  wild you got comments on wearing one?....
In my case during the active masking regs in AZ in a store where masks were required and with bouncers: no words exchanged, just a burly sweaty unmasked guy slamming me into a display of battery chargers. He briefly stopped at the end of the aisle looking for his next victim, and I left the area.

Either way my 90 plus yo relative and I both survived the worst of the pandemic but still concerned about variants. Will get a booster when one is offered.
-crofter

bullfrog said:
The fishing and ATV masks that are marketed as "breathable" are only good to cover an N95 mask as they only turn droplets into a fine mist I was informed.
True but you can camoflage your N95 mask with the fishing gator while protecting your face and neck from sunburn. 

I can't do this double masking, how do you even get a breath through all that?   -c

TravelingZombies said:
...Being a nomad in a tent was next to impossible....
I'm actually thinking of becoming a "nomad in a tent". What were the problems you ran in to ?

I am a hybrid nomad with a minivan and SUV tent. Should I expect problems if I only use the tent at state and federal campgrounds?

GypsyJan said:
I am a hybrid nomad with a minivan and SUV tent. Should I expect problems if I only use the tent at state and federal campgrounds?

Some. Many campgrounds have tent-camping-only areas or walk-in campsites where you park in a lot and carry your tent and stuff to the campsite. Many campgrounds have whatever-you-brought areas, and some are only set up for vehicle-based camping, with electricity and water. Some campgrounds in areas with heavy bear activity don't allow tent camping.

I, living in a remote location, simply avoid situations where I will be within 6' of another person. i get gasoline late at night when no one is there and pay at the pump with a credit card for instance. I order on line and have supplies sent to me or pick them up at the curb. The very few times I need to be inside a public building or any building for that matter I am only there for a few minutes and can double mask if I had to but usually I still time my movements to where I don't get close to other people. Not taking a shower and eating onions helps as well as one whiff and they are going the other way! Lol!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.