custom bed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hopefully by milk crates they mean the ones that you can buy at stores not the ones owned by dairies. I knew a guy that was fired from a dairy for stealing 2 gallons of milk for his family. obviously it wasn't the first time but the dairy threaten with full prosecution, unless he left without a hassle. the only reason I point this out is dairies don't mess around. highdesertranger

akrvbob said:
I have a cargo van so I used hinges bolted to the ribs of the van. Because it's a cargo van, I can see and access the ribs easily. Nothing breaks the sheet metal of the walls.

Milk crates are very strong, that bed could easily hold a 1000 pounds.

They are held in place by aluminum angle iron screwed into the floor.

By far the simplest and easiest bed to make is  one made from 4x4s and plywood. Very simple and strong, make it high enough to get great storage underneath. It's best to use "L" brackets to attach it to the floor but no big deal if you don't.

You may be overthinking this. I had a friend who went to Ikea, found three end-tables and built them and put a piece of plywood across them to make her bed. She's slept on that bed for 5 years.
Bob

I probably am overthinking it. To be honest building one myself out of plywood and 2x4's was what I was thinking to begin with. I just was not sure how to make it so it would fold up against the wall when needed or to sit in place.

is putting screws into the floor safe, I worry about screwing into something underneath such as wires and gas tank etc.

I have no idea where my ribs are its a conversion van so its all padded and carpeted etc.

not sure how to secure the bed to the floor if i don't use something though

I have no idea where my ribs are its a conversion van so its all padded and carpeted etc.

A stud finder may work, or you can find a similar model cargo van in a used car lot or such, and take measurements.