Arrived!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lab_nomad

Reaction score
Well, I made it to Idaho. Five days/four nights on the road. I only got a hotel room one night. I wanted to get off the road and I wanted some internet. I got a room in Sturgis. The internet was useless. So, that was good money down the drain. :-(

I didn’t see much, b/c I was on a mission. I think on the drive back home in October, I’ll be more leisurely and check out the sights.

It was exciting sleeping in the van! I didn’t plan anything. I drove all interstates and so I figured I’d find something when I needed it. I slept at Cracker Barrel, a Pilot, and a Flying J. 

I made some mistakes, of course. Why I thought I’d get it right the first time is beyond me. You don’t know what all you’re going to need until you need it.  :D

One thing I’m rethinking is my bed frame. I placed it so that none of the legs would be on parts of the folded down seats that weren’t sturdy, but things shifted around and there was a broken bit on one of the seats. The frame is high, which is good for stowing things under it, but I can’t sit up on the bed, b/c of that. 

Since I’m not yet living completely in the van, and I’m just taking what I need with me for my temporary jobs, and I’m sleeping on the road to avoid hotel costs, I wonder if there isn’t plenty of room for me to just put the mattress on the floor of the van. It’s a tri-fold and would work as a seat when I wasn’t sleeping.

When I stop to sleep, I could shift the bins to one side, maybe even stack them at night and there would be room to lay out the mattress. It’s pretty thick, so I think any unevenness of the floor of the van wouldn’t be a problem.

Minivan Lee doesn’t have a bed in her van; she just lays out her sleeping stuff at night. But she also has removed her front passenger seat, so she has more room for stuff. I’m keeping the front seat, b/c that’s where Penelope, my dog, rides.

Any thoughts about getting rid of the frame and just using the mattress?

I like using several totes with a piece of plywood on top to lay the mattress on. They make under bed plastic shoe totes that are only 6" tall and it keeps you from having to make up the bed and still give you storage as if you use 4 you can pull out one at a time to access them and then slide it back when done. I have a hard time getting up if I am laying flat on the floor.

lab_nomad said:

If it works for you, just do it! [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I just don't like having to "make up" my bed every time I want to use it. [/font]Also, I look at the space the mattress takes up, and think - well I could put some stuff underneath that...

bullfrog said:
I have a hard time getting up if I am laying flat on the floor.

^^ This.  I originally had my bed right on the floor, spent one night in it and ordered a Zinus frame the next day.  So much storage underneath!

edit: The first 'vandwelling' videos I watched were by Adventuring with Amanda. She went the other direction, had her bed in her Grand Caravan
up on a frame and then later removed the frame and put her bed on the floor. I don't remember her saying why. It does make it look more
open in a minivan.

bullfrog said:
I like using several totes with a piece of plywood on top to lay the mattress on. They make under bed plastic shoe totes that are only 6" tall and it keeps you from having to make up the bed and still give you storage as if you use 4 you  can pull out one at a time to access them and then slide it back when done. I have a hard time getting up if I am laying flat on the floor.

Would the weight of the plywood keep the totes from shifting? Every time I stopped the van, I had to move everything back b/c they just went everywhere. I didn’t secure them, partly b/c I wasn’t sure how, and partly b/c I assumed since they were under the bed, they’d be OK. Duh.

jacqueg said:
If it works for you, just do it! [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I just don't like having to "make up" my bed every time I want to use it. [/font]Also, I look at the space the mattress takes up, and think - well I could put some stuff underneath that...

Good point. I think if I were living in the van full time, I’d need the storage under the bed, but for my purposes now, I think I can swing not having the frame. No way to tell until I try it out!

You say you are not yet full time. Just keep experimentibg with different setups. Try to do it inexpensively as test run configurations. you wil eventually l find what works best for your comfort and needs. Your options are limited for what you can do. You already eliminated one choice. Not many left to try so don't  stress over this because it won't take long to figure out what is best. But dont expect perfection of comfort and convenience, it is going to be a compromise of those things. It will just be what works best...for now.

maki2 said:
You say you are not yet full time. Just keep experimentibg with different setups. Try to do it inexpensively as test run configurations. you wil eventually l find what works best for your comfort and needs. Your options are limited for what you can do. You already eliminated one choice. Not many left to try so don't  stress over this because it won't take long to figure out what is best. But dont expect perfection of comfort and convenience, it is going to be a compromise of those things. It will just be what works best...for now.

Great advice, maki2! Yeah, I need to be less stressed about mistakes and remember that very few decisions in the world are impossible to undo.

If I decide to keep the bedframe, is there something I can put down on the floor to keep it from poking holes in the floor where it covers the stow-and-go seats. I haven’t taken them out. They’re all there. Plywood?

When moving I use a single ratchet strap around the totes attached to eye bolts front and rear.

The biggest problem with not using a frame is you have further to get up in the morning.

Bottom line:  Using a tri-fold on the floor can work just fine, as would putting it on storage totes.

I started out with pieces of 24x36" 4" foam from JoAnn's on three Sterlite totes (no plywood).  Worked fine for me and, like BullFrog mentioned, easy to get to stuff.  Not enough support for two of us, so I added more totes and plywood to distribute the weight.   Tried an air mattress before investing in more foam.  With the full bed width, getting to all the totes was a hassle, but it was a start.

My husband did not like sleeping at window level back then.  We moved some of the totes to the back and stacked our foam pieces up when not in use, leaving plenty of open space in the middle of the van during the day.  (Now that I think about it, it was two stacks of 4" foam pieces, making an 8" thick bed.) At night, the pieces (strapped together with luggage straps), took every inch of the floor, so the large cooler, and a tote or two had to be moved between and into the front seats.  Still...  workable, with "work" being the operative word.  One of us (usually him) had to vacate the van while the bed was being set up.

Next, we re-discovered the tri-fold (Mother Earth News had instructions for these, "back in the day").  So much easier!  It traveled width-wise as a little sofa, in front of our stuff in the rear.  (A row of totes was restrained by a bench seat seatbelt I removed from the van.  I ran a bolt through the "buckle" and existing mount, and threaded the belt through the mount on the other side.  Strong; adjustable.)  We liked the tri-fold!  Still...  deployed, it took every remaining inch of floor space (seats forward) and things had to be moved at night.  After weeks of sleeping on it, the foam compressed and developed a dip in the middle.  Replaced the foam with a higher quality, denser variety, which made the tri-fold much, much heavier and less comfortable.  In time, it still developed a trough.

These days, we have a full-sized metal frame with a Froli system, foam mattress and latex topper.  We now really enjoy sleeping "up".  Stuff is in the back, with everything we need inside within easy reach.  We do not cook inside, but have full access to cold meals and hot beverage makings.  There is a little bit (not much) of open floor space in front of the bed (I can set up a small table, accessible from inside, there but rarely do).  the space between seats is usually open, although a window a/c sits there right now. Best part is we only have to throw our hats on the dash at night!

So...  A long story.  But that's just it, things change.  Try stuff out, stay flexible and have fun!  Oh, and you don't have to spend a lot to try things.  I saved for weeks for each of those $5 totes at the time.  So worth it:  they are still in use.

Every time I return from a trip I have a list of things to move, adjust, modify or rebuild. Sometimes I take tools and material with me so I can work on things in the middle of nowhere.

I just rebuilt the top and mattress of my bed to facilitate better access to the space underneath where I replaced a back seat with a wooden box. I think this is going to work very well but I haven't tried it yet so I'll leave you in suspense. I think the constant thinking, planning and modifying is part of the fun. Maybe it will become old someday. By then I should have everything perfect in the Kia Sportage RV and I cane get something larger and start all over again.

MG

john*thomas said:
The biggest problem with not using a frame is you have further to get up in the morning.

LOL. If I were younger, I would have no idea why that’s a problem. But I’m just old enough that I totally get that!

VanFan said:
Bottom line:  Using a tri-fold on the floor can work just fine, as would putting it on storage totes...

I started out with pieces of 24x36" 4" foam from JoAnn's on three Sterlite totes (no plywood).  Worked fine for me and, like BullFrog mentioned, easy to get to stuff.  Not enough support for two of us, so I added more totes and plywood to distribute the weight.   Tried an air mattress before investing in more foam.  With the full bed width, getting to all the totes was a hassle, but it was a start...

So...  A long story.  But that's just it, things change.  Try stuff out, stay flexible and have fun!  Oh, and you don't have to spend a lot to try things.  I saved for weeks for each of those $5 totes at the time.  So worth it:  they are still in use.

Great story! Love it!

The best part about the lifestyle is not being locked into any one setup. The variations of setup ideas make your adventure adventurous. Your in a great place where you can try different ideas. Whatever you decide for you will be perfect.

Well, I made it to Idaho. Five days/four nights on the road. I only got a hotel room one night. I wanted to get off the road and I wanted some internet. I got a room in Sturgis. The internet was useless. So, that was good money down the drain. :-(

I didn’t see much, b/c I was on a mission. I think on the drive back home in October, I’ll be more leisurely and check out the sights.

It was exciting sleeping in the van! I didn’t plan anything. I drove all interstates and so I figured I’d find something when I needed it. I slept at Cracker Barrel, a Pilot, and a Flying J.

I made some mistakes, of course. Why I thought I’d get it right the first time is beyond me. You don’t know what all you’re going to need until you need it. :D

One thing I’m rethinking is my bed frame. I placed it so that none of the legs would be on parts of the folded down seats that weren’t sturdy, but things shifted around and there was a broken bit on one of the seats. The frame is high, which is good for stowing things under it, but I can’t sit up on the bed, b/c of that.

Since I’m not yet living completely in the van, and I’m just taking what I need with me for my temporary jobs, and I’m sleeping on the road to avoid hotel costs, I wonder if there isn’t plenty of room for me to just put the mattress on the floor of the van. It’s a tri-fold and would work as a seat when I wasn’t sleeping.

When I stop to sleep, I could shift the bins to one side, maybe even stack them at night and there would be room to lay out the mattress. It’s pretty thick, so I think any unevenness of the floor of the van wouldn’t be a problem.

Minivan Lee doesn’t have a bed in her van; she just lays out her sleeping stuff at night. But she also has removed her front passenger seat, so she has more room for stuff. I’m keeping the front seat, b/c that’s where Penelope, my dog, rides.

If you have room to hang it, you might try a hammock. Also, you could try an air mattress that you can deflate when not in use.

For anyone else worried about bed legs putting holes in their seats, I bought this cot for that very reason. It has u-shaped legs that go from side to side so I don't have to worry about them putting holes in the back of my seats. I also have tots underneath it that are a little taller than the legs so the weight of the cot isn't resting on my seat backs.

Latest posts