Best small car without conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,  I am looking for a small car, with great gas mileage, that has 6 feet of flat space for sleeping without having to modify the car.  I have very few things so don't need a lot of space for stuff.  I can lay down a pad and sleeping bag on the flat surface for sufficient cushioning underneath me.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

After seeing all the different types which all must have a few modifications, the most important to me would be staying warm or cool. The Prius seems to have them all beat hands down except for ground clearance . In addition it will support a large inverter which makes it even better as you could have AC power in a small tent or pop up shelter to expand your living area. My only concerns would be cost and availability of repairs. There are support groups online as well as a hybrid section in these forums as the Prius is a popular choice. The Toyota Camry has a fold down rear seat that opens to the trunk and might work but uneven surfaces could be a problem. Super reliable LE 4 cylinder automatic and good fuel mileage with quite a bit of space.

You can do that with a small truck with a cap on the rear. It gives you plenty of versatility and good resale value as well. No modification needed other than have a truck canopy and many times the do get sold with the truck. It will also give you better ground clearance than many of the small cars.

Welcome super to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

My wife, and I drove a mid 90s Saturn SW2 station wagon with a 5 speed transmission up over 200,000 miles. It's a great little car that can be bought cheap, and repaired easily. I think we got 35 mpg, and the back seat folded flat for tons of cargo room. Remove the passenger seat for even more room.

Just about any car based station wagon will offer more room than it's counterpart sedan.

Thanks for all the reply.  Looks like the prius is the best since it has good gas mileage, and is small size for a person who has few things.

I am brand new at all of this, but when my old vehicle was on its last legs, I decided on a Honda Fit. I now know that the Fit is being discontinued in 2021. They have been made for many years, and there's lots of information about them and parts still available. They may be offered at a very price at this moment in time because it is the end of the year and the inventory needs to be sold. I like my car. It's fun to drive, and very versatile. I bought it with the idea that I would camp in it without rearranging and tearing out seats. There are some Pinterest sites with pictures and interior dimensions that could help you see if it might work for you.

One of the problems with a Prius now has a solution, lack of ground clearance. A company tongue in cheek named “Prius off road” is producing a small lift kit that raises the suspension 1 1/2” they say without hurting fuel mileage or prematurely wearing out components. It is simply a spacer mounted above the struts but will require realignment.

superminimalist said:
Hi all,  I am looking for a small car, with great gas mileage,

As a minimalist are you planning on doing a minimal amount of travel?

If so, you wouldn't need great MPG.  Get a vehicle that is large enough to be reasonably comfortable and gets reasonably good gas mileage.

Then buy a bicycle or maybe a scooter that gets 125 MPG or so.

A newer honda civic hatchback has about 6' of space to lie down in the back... awesome gas mileage too...

I've thought a lot about converting a car to a rig.  If I were to do it I think I'd choose the Chevy Malibu MAXX classic as the car with the 3.5 217 hp basic V6 engine.  (they do make an SS version with a 240 hp 3.9 V6 but unless it was a dynamite deal I'd just go with the basic)  There are plenty of them around with reasonable mileage on them and fitting one out would probably require removing the front passengers bucket seat and possibly trimming the console a bit for extra room.  On the highway they would get 29 to 30 mpg. But after that it would have room like a station wagon.  I would choose one in white if I could find what I wanted.

In rough condition these may go for $700 up to as much as $4000 in excellent condition.  But I've seen nice ones go for around $1500.  These were around 2006 models with less than 75,000 miles.(with A/C)

Below in the first signature line,  "Van Conversion"   there is a link at the top of the site to "A Bug Out Car" that shows my ideas.

I would remove the back seat and build a platform into the front passengers area.  There would be plenty of room for a twin mattress. Shorter people may not even need to extend the platform into the front passenger area.  But if you're not real tall, and flying solo,  that passenger area (with the bucket seat removed) could offer some handy extra room for supplies with access by the front door.

[img=472x249]https://www.carspecs.us/photos/98c01aabfa63343b6c6fcd8caee65d9cc57aaa00-2000.jpg[/img]

All in all, the Chevrolet Malibu Maxx is a great choice if you're seeking utility at an affordable price -- provided you don't take issue with its drab looks and unremarkable handling. Those seeking brisker performance can choose the SS trim (launched in 2006), which comes with a more powerful engine.

I know this isn't a "small" car, but it would be something that could hold up to long distance travel and time.

Latest posts