best minimalist sleeping pad?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes they do self inflate. Not instant takes a few minutes. They have small valves at one end. opening them les air in. To deflate you open the valves and begin rolling up the pad from the end opposite to the valves. When deflated twist the valves closed to keep it deflated. If you want the pad to be firmer you can puff some extra air into it, not difficult to do that.

So like a fickle person I'm going back to sleeping pads/mattresses for the moment, maybe try a hammock when I have a little more experience. Thanks for all this info, though, and I am filing it away!

A couple of people (Ripper 238 and RVTravel) have mentioned the ThermaRest BaseCamp. So does that really self-inflate? How much do you have to help it along?

I wouldn't say it truly self inflates, but it will fill with the majority of air over time, then you just need to fill it the rest of the way to your liking. The big thing is the ThermaRest BaseCamp is thick, long and wide with a great R value but can roll down to the size of a yoga mat.

So like a fickle person I'm going back to sleeping pads/mattresses for the moment, maybe try a hammock when I have a little more experience. Thanks for all this info, though, and I am filing it away!

A couple of people (Ripper 238 and RVTravel) have mentioned the ThermaRest BaseCamp. So does that really self-inflate? How much do you have to help it along?
They do self-inflate, some. It may be firm enough for you, it may not. Impossible to make, or do, anything that will make every one happy. If a Therm-a-Rest self-inflating pad is not firm enough to suit you all you have to do is ad a few puffs to make yourself happy. Speaking only for myself and only a Trail Light pad I use about four puffs and am good to go. A LOT less than the pads that are not self inflating. But, it's an individual preference.

Any suggestions for a good option for something mattress-y to put under your sleeping bag while car camping?
It doesn't have to be sturdy enough to stand up to full-time use. (If/when it comes to that, I can rethink.)
I have an SUV with the back seats removed, and I could probably sleep in it as is, but it would be nice to even out the surface and cover up the metal bits that stick up out of the floor.

Cheap would be good (since I just spent a king's ransom on custom window shades), but not so cheap that it's impractical (since ditto). Compact would also be good.

Futon? yoga mat? those folding waffle-type things I've seen at Walmart? cardboard?
Any pitfalls to look out for on the lower-priced stuff in a generic camping section?

All clues welcome!
Thanks.
Patio-chair pads.
Decades ago, we were full-time house-sitters.
We traveled to the location in a Chevrolet Astro van.
After introductions and orientation, after the folks left, we laid out a sheet on the floor, and set our chaise-lounge pads on the sheet.
Why?
We are weird about sleeping in somebody else's bed... one of the reasons we full-time live-aboard in our rig instead of renting a motel room.